Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My base model will be faster than your Z06?!?!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 04:49 PM
VirginiaAgent
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Every few days I take a deep breath, and click on the C8 General Discussion forum. Yikes, but things can get snippy in here!

A true sports car is much more than one thing. More than 0-60. More than fast around a track. In the eyes and mind of the owner, it should look good, feel good, sound good, etc. It should engage you viscerally. You can fill up a Ford Focus with turbos and meth to the point it blows away 99% of the Corvettes out there from 0-60. You can buy a Tesla sedan that will eat a Lambo for lunch in a straight line. But that doesn't mean I'd want one.

I think the C8 is a great car. This first round of reviews was pretty damn good for a first year model. Especially one that's so radically different than the previous generation. It's going to get dialed in, and improved, and later variants will be even better.

I don't dig the mid engine look or feel, so I'm not going to buy one. But that doesn't mean my C7 Z06 is better. It just means it's better for me.
The following 3 users liked this post by VirginiaAgent:
Harbgrogan (10-18-2019), Phantom Blur (10-17-2019), SpeedyD (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 08:27 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennis & Golf Nut
In the Real-world in a quarter-mile race the C8 Z51 will beat the C7 Z06 9 times out of 10 at the track because of traction issues in the Z06.
This is where I think you are wrong. The C8 will have its biggest advantage on the street from a dig because of its major traction advantage. Some of that advantage goes away at the drag strip (as long as it has decent prep). An A8 Z06 will be able to launch nearly as hard as a C8 on a prepped track and then the advantage is only going to be to the 1/8th mile or 330'. You are right, there are some tracks with crap prep that the C8 will still have a big launch advantage.While the C8 may be almost idiot proof to launch, the A8 Z06 is not that difficult either. I also think people are overestimating how much the C8 is going to pick up at the drag strip. With its rear weight bias and launch control, it is already maximizing traction for its available torque. It is not going to pick up as much as the C7 and C6s can at the strip. For example the 720s has run a 9.9s 1/4 in a magazine test on regular tarmac and has run a best of 9.7 on prepped drag strip in great weather.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:26 AM
Phantom Blur
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GTRSOLO
Enjoy Test & Tune Weekends this fall, and remember there is always some bitch faster. Literally..these bitches crush you all. LOL

SMH...misogyny is alive and well.
The following 2 users liked this post by Phantom Blur:
ArmchairArchitect (10-18-2019), Harbgrogan (10-18-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 11:30 AM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by GetOutOJail
why in gods name would you need a c8 Z06 if your not tracking the darn thing exclusively??? I don’t know. Plus with all that understeer, whose gonna be able to control that thing if it gets loose!
I would bet the C8 Z06 will be more neutral. The understeer in the base car isn't a flaw. I'm certain it was designed that way. It's safer for novice drivers.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:46 PM
sprayer
Drifting

Received 900 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette#2
I would bet the C8 Z06 will be more neutral. The understeer in the base car isn't a flaw. I'm certain it was designed that way. It's safer for novice drivers.
That makes not sense GM would do that. They talk about maxing out the FE and had to move to ME. Maxing out a FE platform is not keeping novice drivers in mind. But now GM has decided to look after novice drivers and have taken a few steps back.

Makes zero sense they would do this intentionally. It is just an excuse.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:59 PM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom Blur
SMH...misogyny is alive and well.
"Literally..these bastards crush you all..."

I seriously doubt there was any "misogynistic" intent, but there... better?

Quick Reply: My base model will be faster than your Z06?!?!!