Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "great wall" of buttons

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 08:15 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

I sat on both sides of this "great wall". It's fine. Passenger can rest their elbow on the console when traveling in the car and can still see and talk to the driver without looking like "Kilroy was here"..

Last edited by 1SG_Ret; 10-29-2019 at 08:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1SG_Ret:
ArmchairArchitect (10-30-2019), Red Mist Rulz (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 08:23 AM
sprayer
Drifting

Received 900 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
When you sit in that passenger seat, you cannot rest your left elbow on the console lid comfortably. Tou have to bend you arm at a almost 180* to fit because of the stupid LOOOOOOONG arc of that button wall.

Why does it matter? Because some of us enjoy sharing the toy with our spouses or gf bf or friends... why is that hard to grasp?

You are isolated uninvolved over there.

Here...

The crude red scrubble is where these morons should have ended the freaking wall.

Why?
Because it gets in the way of a natural arm rest..

​​​
Looks like they totally forgot about the passenger comfort. I must say that looking at these pictures that wall of buttons is very awkward. Maybe they should have just made this new corvette a 1 seater as it seems like the passenger was never a consideration.

​​​​​​They need to be sold and driven in real life. Then the short comings will come out. This wall of buttons, exiting the car in tight spaces will be very problematic etc....
Old 10-29-2019, 08:30 AM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,773 Likes on 4,693 Posts

Originally Posted by sprayer
Looks like they totally forgot about the passenger comfort. I must say that looking at these pictures that wall of buttons is very awkward. Maybe they should have just made this new corvette a 1 seater as it seems like the passenger was never a consideration.

​​​​​​They need to be sold and driven in real life. Then the short comings will come out. This wall of buttons, exiting the car in tight spaces will be very problematic etc....
So you can look at a picture and determine they TOTALLY forgot about the passenger comfort, yet you go on to say they need to be sold and driven in real life, then the short comings will come out. So what GM should have done is hire you for your clarity of vision, because they had none, plus when you add that all they did was drive the car for years, but never SOLD one their whole evaluation process failed.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:40 AM
sprayer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Phil1098
So you can look at a picture and determine they TOTALLY forgot about the passenger comfort, yet you go on to say they need to be sold and driven in real life, then the short comings will come out. So what GM should have done is hire you for your clarity of vision, because they had none, plus when you add that all they did was drive the car for years, but never SOLD one their whole evaluation process failed.
These forums are not for you. Someone has a different opinion than you and you go spastic. Just buy yourself the car and be happy. Not everyone is going to like it so get used to it.
The following users liked this post:
AORoads (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 08:46 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
No way. Elegant inside... it is.... the downside is they go 101 instead of 100 sometimes when all that is needed to make the point was already more than enough at that 100.... This being one of them.

Walling off the cabin the way they did is concept car crap. Usually tossed before we get here. Dumb imo.
Can you post up the short YouTube video that you did in Carlisle,so that everyone can see what a none issue it really is?

The 2020 C8 model year will be sold out by the time the first car gets delivered ,and were still discussing ...

Old 10-29-2019, 08:48 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I bet there is a very strong correlation between between inability to afford a C8 and nit-picking.
The following 6 users liked this post by village idiot:
1snake (10-29-2019), jcapps (10-29-2019), JockItch (11-03-2019), Phil1098 (10-29-2019), RapidC84B (10-29-2019), speedlink (10-30-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-29-2019, 08:51 AM
sprayer
Drifting

Originally Posted by village idiot
I bet there is a very strong correlation between between inability to afford a C8 and nit-picking.
You keep thinking that if it makes you feel more proud.
vndkshn (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 08:55 AM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,773 Likes on 4,693 Posts

Originally Posted by sprayer
These forums are not for you. Someone has a different opinion than you and you go spastic. Just buy yourself the car and be happy. Not everyone is going to like it so get used to it.
But these forums are for you, an absolute troll that has done nothing but rag on the car from the beginning? And calling out your failed attempt at more poison is going spastic???? Thank you for your insight, here I thought everyone was going to love the car. You'd think after being on the planet 59 years I would know better.
The following 2 users liked this post by Phil1098:
1snake (10-29-2019), speedlink (10-30-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 09:05 AM
TKay
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Haven't not seen one in person, my opinion is from the pics only. As such, I do not care for buttons as is.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:17 AM
cobramustang1993
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by flyforfun
Only wall that matters is the shifter for a manual, this is pathetic and should just be named a Caddy.
If GM really wanted a manual trans the first year of production it would have been accomplished...WhileTadge stated there was only a 15% take rate on manual trans, the actual 2019 production figures almost doubled that to 26% take. The Z06 rate was higher than 33%....That’s a lot of buyers to ignore....I for one am not interested in a sports car without a manual trans.....but at this point GM doesn’t care....
Old 10-29-2019, 09:21 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,262 Likes on 6,041 Posts

My $0.02 after my wife and I sat in it... it's a non-issue for us. Some feel it doesn't leave a place for the passenger to put their left arm, but my wife's was easily behind the ramp.

When you listen to video clips where designer Tristan Murphy explains the logic... it all makes sense. Job #1 for the Corvette interior was lowest dash height possible to maximize the new forward vision. If they'd put a traditional button panel under the center screen it would have raised everything up to an unacceptable height. The button ramp allowed for the minimalist air vent under the display and kept the low height.
ArmchairArchitect (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 09:22 AM
ScottWood
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TKay
Haven't not seen one in person, my opinion is from the pics only. As such, I do not care for buttons as is.
I did not like the wall of buttons in all of the pictures I viewed. I finally sat in the C8 several times on both sides. I now like them and don't find a problem in the passenger seat resting my arm at 6'1" 240 lbs.
The following 2 users liked this post by ScottWood:
ArmchairArchitect (10-29-2019), Red Mist Rulz (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 09:56 AM
Jon2kZ
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 122 Posts

The button wall room divider whatever you want to call it was a huge mistake in my opinion and has to go, let me get my Sawzall...
Old 10-29-2019, 09:58 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

90% of the time I drive my fun car nobody else is in the car with me. It's 100% a non issue and I will also say that I much prefer some form of physical button over just using the head unit/touchscreen. If they address the gloss black/reflectiveness all the better.

I know I have had some criticisms of the C8 but I am very, very, impressed with the overall interior and fit and finish. The C7 was a big jump from the C6 and the C8 is just a big of jump IMHO. I am a sucker for a cockpit inspired cabin for a sports car.

At this price, it's very hard to beat for the overall fit and finish, materials, technology and all the options and customization you can choose. Again look at the price point once you start customizing a Porsche it gets insane.
ArmchairArchitect (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 10:00 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,417 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by cobramustang1993
I'm not interested in a sports car without a MT
wrong thread
Old 10-29-2019, 10:22 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

When will automotive interior designers realize that driving a car is not analogous to flying a jet fighter? Having to take ur eyes off the road in order to find climate or audio controls isn’t the way to do it. The Model 3 Tesla, for example, requires u to use the touch screen so u can adjust mirrors. What a PITA if ur on the road. The ergonomics with the “button wall” appears to be abysmal but I’ll reserve final judgement until actually sitting in a C8. I don’t think u’d ever see this type of control arrangement in an F1 or LeMans GT car.

Last edited by Dominic Sorresso; 10-29-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:39 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

A distinctive interior design has always been part of Corvette’s DNA.

Having an unusual element is more important than whether or not it works for everyone.

Get notified of new replies

To The "great wall" of buttons

Old 10-29-2019, 10:44 AM
jackfrostpdx
Burning Brakes

Received 633 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
When will automotive interior designers realize that driving a car is not analogous to flying a jet fighter? Having to take ur eyes off the road in order to find climate or audio controls isn’t the way to do it. The Model 3 Tesla, for example, requires u to use the touch screen so u can adjust mirrors. What a PITA if ur on the road. The ergonomics with the “button wall” appears to be abysmal but I’ll reserve final judgement until actually sitting in a C8. I don’t think u’d ever see this type of control arrangement in an F1 or LeMans GT car.
Have you never flown a plane before? Once you know where the ***** are and their tactile sensation you don't need to hunt and peck for them like some kind of geriatric typist.

Tesla side mirror adjustments are hidden behind a menu but that is bad why? If you often adjust you side mirrors on the road you are doing it wrong.

I await your final C8 judgement with bated breath.

Old 10-29-2019, 10:53 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
Audio controls are on the steering wheel for the most part. I have conditioned myself to always use those first and foremost and only use the touchscreen when I have to. 90% of the time I am doing everything from the steering wheel without taking my eyes off the road. In terms of other controls like AC/heated seats, etc I think you will develop muscle memory with the corresponding button and not have to take your eyes off the road. While I do think the wall of buttons looks weird and awkward to a degree the fact that there are physical buttons is a huge win for me vs just a giant touchscreen.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:59 AM
94Lt1Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 764 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
I'll take that bet.

Originally Posted by jackfrostpdx
Have you never flown a plane before? Once you know where the ***** are and their tactile sensation you don't need to hunt and peck for them like some kind of geriatric typist.

Tesla side mirror adjustments are hidden behind a menu but that is bad why? If you often adjust you side mirrors on the road you are doing it wrong.

I await your final C8 judgement with bated breath.
I've flown fighters and this cockpit ain't it. Fighter cockpit are designed with HOTAS (hands on throttle and stick) in mind. A row of buttons is not that (especially when said buttons require you to look down and away from the road to see which is which). A fighter cockpit would've used the steering wheel to cycle through menus on the screen or....just kept what the C7 had which was easily accessible and user friendly.

If anything, it's more like a 737 cockpit - outdated with buttons/and switches in weird places for the sake of having buttons and switches.
Olnavy (10-30-2019)

Quick Reply: The "great wall" of buttons