Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why wouldn't Chevy let me sit in the C8?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 10:08 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Originally Posted by RACE U
A chevy dealership is chevy. A dealer represents chevy as its agent. This is a legal issue.
Wrong! The dealer is a franchise holder. The dealer owns the inventory, owns the facility, and the salesperson and his supervisor are direct dealer employees. GM has no reasonable expectation as to who is allowed to sit in someone's owned property.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:09 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,106 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERRY 316
Have you bought a few cars without driving them?
Oldsmobile Bravada, F-150 (2x), '03 Z06, '96 C4, C7 ZR1, Mercedes 420 and S550, GMC 3/4 ton (2x) and others I am sure I have forgotten without sitting in or driving them. I don't think I ever bought a vehicle because the seat was nice.

Oh, I will say that I did fly an airplane before I bought it.

Last edited by SouthernSon; 06-27-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:16 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Hey dealer, its me. I going to take an hours drive to sit in one of your cars. See ya in a bit.

Hard to believe they wouldn't let him sit in the car after that call.

And an hours drive is nothing. It takes me at least 45 minutes to reach west county in St Louis where the specialty stores are located. I didn't complain on a forum when the couch i wanted wasn't available.

I went to Jeep to look at a Gladiator. They had one with the doors and top off in the showroom that you could sit in, and another next to it that was locked. I didn't know why it was lock, nor did i care. It would had been nice sit in one with the roof on, but since i wasn't buying that day it was no big deal.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:12 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,106 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by vrybad
Should have mentioned that from the start.
Grow up.
What I don't understand is why he now mentions it later in the thread when his original post says at the time he asked he was told "No".
Sounds as though he may have been in the showroom when he first asked to sit in it. If he were told "No" on the phone miles away then why did he go there expecting to sit in one. Story is just a little off I think.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:29 AM
green2000
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by sprayer
OP wanted to sit in a car to see how it feels. I would do the same if I was going to drop 60k plus on a car.
​​​​​
I still don't see where the OP had any intention of purchasing. Possibly, I missed that post.
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 01:23 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,038 Likes on 2,909 Posts

If the car was for sale, then the dealer made a mistake by not letting you "sit in it." It's been long known that in order to test drive the car, you have to buy the car. At least that's what I and many others experienced when shopping for a new C7. They had no problem with me sitting in it before deciding to buy it, but I didn't need to because I actually WANTED TO BUY IT.

On edit; I bought the car (new C7) without sitting in it. I walked out to the Chevy dealers lot, looked at it, (without opening the door on it,) walked back to the salesman's office, and made a deal - all within 2-minutes.

Question: Do you actually want to buy that exact car? Today?

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 06-27-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:59 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,251 Likes on 2,023 Posts

In the FWIW category....When my 2014 C7 convertible came in (April 2014), I was out of town. The dealer put it on the showroom floor and allowed folks to sit in it (many, obviously). When I went to pick up the car, the kick plate on the drivers side was all scuffed up as was the drivers side door on the bottom (from people using their FEET to open the door all the way). I made the dealer replace the kick plate and the drivers side door panel before I would take delivery.

PS. If the car is sold (which we don't know), then the dealer should not let anyone sit in it.
If the car is available, then it's silly to not let someone sit in it. I can go to the Ferrari Aston Martin dealer near my office and sit in any car I want (as long as it's not SOLD).

Last edited by jimmyb; 06-27-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:00 PM
r00t61
Racer

Received 294 Likes on 122 Posts

You guys are all getting trolled by OP.

His entire post history consists of:

* "Should I buy a Lexus LC500 or C8? I don't care about performance, I just want to turn heads"
* "C8 build quality sucks because it is American"
* "Boomers are geezers"
The following 2 users liked this post by r00t61:
BudgetPlan1 (06-28-2020), Tracy (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 02:14 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 862 Likes on 404 Posts

First, “A car salesman lied to me!” Seriously? You don’t need to waste GM’s time complaining about this. Go straight to Guinness as you might have a world record event to record for posterity.

Second, you didn’t even bother to ask whether the car was available for purchase or already sold? That automatically makes you a lookey-loo ... “A person who wants to view something for sale with no genuine intention of making a purchase.”

Third, in this time of a accelerating pandemic, if I had purchased the car and they allowed you to sit in it I would be pissed. If they allowed you to sit in it without completely disinfecting it afterwards I would be beyond pissed.

But, again, you didn’t even bother to ask whether that was someone else’s car because I guess it is all about you.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:24 PM
Minh Do
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by B747VET
First, “A car salesman lied to me!” Seriously? You don’t need to waste GM’s time complaining about this. Go straight to Guinness as you might have a world record event to record for posterity.

Second, you didn’t even bother to ask whether the car was available for purchase or already sold? That automatically makes you a lookey-loo ... “A person who wants to view something for sale with no genuine intention of making a purchase.”

Third, in this time of a accelerating pandemic, if I had purchased the car and they allowed you to sit in it I would be pissed. If they allowed you to sit in it without completely disinfecting it afterwards I would be beyond pissed.

But, again, you didn’t even bother to ask whether that was someone else’s car because I guess it is all about you.
I called the dealership AND WAS TOLD I CAN COME IN AND SIT IN IT, drove an hour to check it out and got denied when I came in. Learn to read the next time please, why would I ask if it was someone else's car when i was told I can come in to sit in it?

Last edited by Minh Do; 06-27-2020 at 03:29 PM. Reason: uhh
Old 06-27-2020, 03:26 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by marcar
When the universe opens back up, go to the museum bash. They will have one for you to sit in.
not necessarily....
Old 06-27-2020, 03:27 PM
Minh Do
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ByRiver
Hey dealer, its me. I going to take an hours drive to sit in one of your cars. See ya in a bit.

And an hours drive is nothing. It takes me at least 45 minutes to reach west county in St Louis where the specialty stores are located. I didn't complain on a forum when the couch i wanted wasn't available.

I went to Jeep to look at a Gladiator. They had one with the doors and top off in the showroom that you could sit in, and another next to it that was locked. I didn't know why it was lock, nor did i care. It would had been nice sit in one with the roof on, but since i wasn't buying that day it was no big deal.
I would not have complained had I not been TOLD I COULD COME AND SIT in one BEFORE driving there. When I brought it up WITH THE GM the man told me the salesman made no such promise.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:30 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,300 Likes on 2,217 Posts

Originally Posted by ByRiver

That made me roll LOL
Old 06-27-2020, 04:10 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,387 Likes on 2,074 Posts

The reasons have been explained several times. You don’t like the answers. Your problem is with the dealer, not GM.

You never answered the question, do you intend to buy one from that dealer if you fit and liked it? If not, they probably read that so had no reason to indulge your fantasies further.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:13 PM
Minh Do
Intermediate

Default Well...

Originally Posted by Racer X
The reasons have been explained several times. You don’t like the answers. Your problem is with the dealer, not GM.

You never answered the question, do you intend to buy one from that dealer if you fit and liked it? If not, they probably read that so had no reason to indulge your fantasies further.
I asked a simple question, salesman gave me a simple yes I can sit in it. Never did he asked me for my intention.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:24 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,387 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Minh Do
I asked a simple question, salesman gave me a simple yes I can sit in it. Never did he asked me for my intention.
Again you don’t answer the question. Yes or no? You have your answer for why you didn’t get to sit in it. You have no one to blame but the dealer, and yourself. GM had no part in it. Move on. I am sorry a sales person lied to you. You act as if that has never happened to anyone else ever. This had nothing to do with you age or ethnicity. The car was either sold or they did not think you were a buyer, end of story.

There were a number of opportunities to sit in the car months ago, why didn’t you do it like most of the rest of us. Or were you too good for that experience?
Old 06-27-2020, 04:30 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Why wouldn't Chevy let me sit in the C8?

Old 06-27-2020, 04:31 PM
Minh Do
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Racer X
Again you don’t answer the question. Yes or no? You have your answer for why you didn’t get to sit in it. You have no one to blame but the dealer, and yourself. GM had no part in it. Move on. I am sorry a sales person lied to you. You act as if that has never happened to anyone else ever. This had nothing to do with you age or ethnicity. The car was either sold or they did not think you were a buyer, end of story.

There were a number of opportunities to sit in the car months ago, why didn’t you do it like most of the rest of us. Or were you too good for that experience?
I bought a Camaro in 2018 from the same dealership so yes I absolutely was looking to buy as my current lease ends in August, had he ask if i was looking to get into one i would have said yes, but the question never came up over the phone nor when I was there in person. Why would i blame myself when I followed direction and did what the dealership told me to do which is to come in and sit in it? Some of us arent retiree and have to work so I was not able to come check it out some months ago, so no i do not think i was too good for it. Why would that even crosses your mind? And yes salesman lie all the time I get it, but the general manager even backed him up which just reinforces bad business practice.

Last edited by Minh Do; 06-27-2020 at 04:33 PM. Reason: gfw
Old 06-27-2020, 04:32 PM
Michael T*
Drifting

Received 945 Likes on 428 Posts

Asian male late 20s mask on, gloves on, dress shirt and slacks went to see the C8 @ Sterling McCall Chevrolet in Houston as it was the only location in Houston with the C8 available. I asked if I can sit in one on the showroom and just to see what its like, and got told a flat NO. Lexus dealer had no problem letting me sit inside the LC500. I thought this was the working man's sports car? What a joke!
The LC500 is only selling 110-150 units per month in the USA. There is a 15,700 backlog of sold (status 3000+) C8's. A little difference in demand and showroom interest. I would think they would get over MSRP for that C8.

My wife went to test drive a Porsche Macan two weeks ago, before we ordered a 2021 one. They sanitized the car before she got in, the salesperson followed her another car for the test drive. BTW, they say it will be January before we get it.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:47 PM
green2000
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

I called the dealership AND WAS TOLD I CAN COME IN AND SIT IN IT, drove an hour to check it out and got denied when I came in. Learn to read the next time please, why would I ask if it was someone else's car when i was told I can come in to sit in it?
This is your full original quote after you modified it:

"Asian male late 20s mask on, gloves on, dress shirt and slacks went to see the C8 @ Sterling McCall Chevrolet in Houston as it was the only location in Houston with the C8 available. I asked if I can sit in one on the showroom and just to see what its like, and got told a flat NO. Lexus dealer had no problem letting me sit inside the LC500. I thought this was the working man's sports car? What a joke!"

The rest of your story is fractured in other replies. Yes, we can read but you may want to consolidate your story for clarity. You still have no implied intent other than you wanted to sit in it and there are many valid responses as to why that did not happen for you or many others
The following users liked this post:
mschuyler (06-27-2020)

Quick Reply: Why wouldn't Chevy let me sit in the C8?