Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front hood popped open today

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 05:17 PM
pksjc
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
I'm facing the same issue. My TPS is week of 8/17 so hopefully GM will have an answer as to cause and perhaps a fix. However, although I only have a 30 miles drive home, thought the same, I'd make something for the trip. The key is where to attach top and bottom. Fortunately there are some great pics in this Thread. I'll bring two metal brackets. with the proper sized holes and a few metric wrenches. Probably drill 5/16 inch both ends. I have plenty of metal scraps to make two but as a forum member mentioned, you can buy a simple corner bracket and perhaps drill the holes bigger. Need to bend the top so the Carabiner clears the hood. Two Carabiners and small chain would be best..

As far as pulling the fuse, perhaps BUT IMO could still be mechanical. One example is the manual pull cable under the dash. If there is a lot of friction in the conduit or a frayed cable that caches in probably a spiral metal conduit, it could catch and may not be full locked. Hit a bump and it releases. Until GM finds the cause won't know for sure.
What about using track wrap tape to protect the front and taping the hood down for the trip home? Do you guys think that would work as a temp solution?
Old 08-04-2020, 05:23 PM
C8J
Le Mans Master

Received 3,152 Likes on 1,717 Posts

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
Thanks, but I'm going to use wire rope instead of chain. What I was really interested in was the little bracket that you said you thought was a Harley Davidson part.
That was LJT, not me. Sorry.
I just redid my post (#755) and went with 8 links available on Amazon to make a chain of your desired sizing.

I found many possible alternatives
Google "Carabiner attachment plate" Something Like this
https://www.karstsports.com/petzl-p3...r-single-unit/

Last edited by C8J; 08-04-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:39 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,977 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Where did all the posts go from 8/3/2020 7:47pm to 8/4/2020 1:18pm on this thread?
Old 08-04-2020, 06:02 PM
LJT
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 148 Posts

Hood open.

See Post #788 for the above connector part

Bungie to pull the chain to the side when hood is closing.

3 links max required.

I now shortened the chain by one link, now 2 total, not 3 as shown in the above picture.

See Post #788 for the above connector part

3 Links max required.

I now shortened the chain by one link, now 2 total, not 3 as shown in the above picture.

I decided to install the cover.

The system I created works perfect. I would do it again. I just might keep it on the C8 forever.
Please see the comments under each picture.
items were purchased at Home Depot.
see post 788 for connector part.

Last edited by LJT; 08-09-2020 at 05:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Broken Halo (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 06:11 PM
Broken Halo
Melting Slicks

Received 1,733 Likes on 834 Posts

Really crazy that we have to jury-rig a vehicle like this to prevent a catastrophe.
fasttoys (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 06:22 PM
Carl44
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 53 Posts

Really crazy that we have to jury-rig a vehicle like this to prevent a catastrophe.
Reminds me of my days tracking a Lotus Exige S. The window sticker should have said "some assembly required"
My car should be here next week and now im shopping for nuts and bolts to keep it form self destructing . Unbelievable! carl
Old 08-04-2020, 06:28 PM
phalse
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 241 Posts

All I can say is, ho-lee ****. Unbelievable.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:48 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by pksjc
What about using track wrap tape to protect the front and taping the hood down for the trip home? Do you guys think that would work as a temp solution?
Good thought. However I can make those clips from 1/8 aluminum and have chain and several carabiner's so will not be hard to install at the dealer.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:45 PM
PanjabiMC
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinmaniac
God this is so horrible. Thank God you're ok but driving blind like that can lead to a huge accident. GM not taking care of this is unacceptable and it truly shows how they value their customers. This is really sad and unacceptable.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:15 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 872 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinmaniac

Absolutely disgusting GM is blaming owners for this.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:32 PM
Neverenough14
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

So does fuse 18 prevent this from happening? Someone posted a good diagram of the fuse box, but I cannot locate it. Can someone share?
Old 08-04-2020, 09:36 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,152 Likes on 3,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Neverenough14
So does fuse 18 prevent this from happening?
Pulling the fuse will prevent it as long as it is not driver error or mechanical failure of the latch. My guess is yes, pulling the use will prevent this.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:47 PM
C8J
Le Mans Master

Received 3,152 Likes on 1,717 Posts

It's only a temporary measure to remove the possibility of getting killed. Safety has no payback for unlnown working. In this case, if enough have a temporary measure of one form or another and the incident happens, all hell should break loose and I'm sure the lawyers will be lining up - And not for GM.

Regardless of cause, they'll be responsible for not preventing it. Just like the Corvair and others the manufacturer didn't cause the accident, but they could have done something especially if brought to their attention to prevent the horrific outcome. You wouldn't want me on the jury!

I was reluctant to do anything, especially dealing with a user base, anything is possible. Flying roof - no action required, but switches suggested strongly. This incident- too many in such a small user base to ignore the possibility that it may be the result of any of us having a bad day and cause it somehow - true or not. Not worth the risk at this point to not do something to protect me, my family, and others! It's up there with arguing over masks! No pain, only downside is inconvenience.

Btw, I've mentioned before that I own a manufacturing company and on every ocassion that I've discovered user errors that could cause a problem (life threatening or not), I installed a modification to the design to never allow it to occur. This saved customers $$$$, problems, time, inconvenience, ... and me - I've never had a defect or return in 3 decades! That is how you make it great! As a Naval Officer, there never were points for second place. Do it right the first time or certainly fix it once you find out. Unfortunately, this attention to detail is lost on the civilian community grossly enamored with avaricious tendencies. I have no problem making money, its allowed me to do well for my family and purchase a C8 too. I do have a problem with unfettered greed.

I'll post pics once completed. Waiting on carabiners

Last edited by C8J; 08-04-2020 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:56 PM
FinsterforstFan
Racer

Received 441 Likes on 201 Posts

Well, this is enough for me to pass on a Z06 at least until they have it figured out. I have plenty of other fast cars to have fun with until then.

I mean, it’s not surprising that a totally new platform is going to have problems, but this just seems like something that could have been easily prevented and unacceptable to have happen. Worse, is the apparent lack of response by GM so far. Makes me wonder what’s the next shoe waiting to drop on this car.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:41 PM
gtr
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LJT

Hood open.

I can't find the H-D part number. I would use Everbilt 2 in. Mending Plates (4-Pack) from Home Depot. You would need to put a slight bend in it. One on the hood and one on the latch stud.
This is correct, 3 links max required.

The system I created works perfect. I would do it again. I just might keep it on the C8 forever.
Please see the comments under each picture.
ALL items were purchased at Home Depot.
How long does it need to be? 3 links with the hook is about 6-8 inches? i'm thinking about using some strap instead of chains if possible. Don't want to be the guy that hood blew open at highway speeds.

Last edited by gtr; 08-04-2020 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:49 PM
Jordan6908
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My car was in the shop for a month(hood flying up while driving) and this was GM's response:

Below is what I received back. There is also a PAC case that the customer created that I had found. The claim was denied due to repair completion. You can provide the customer a copy of the RO from repairs. You can put on it that this repair was not related to a defect and as a result not covered under the vehicles warranty.

GM has not covered any of the hood damages. Our customer need to contact their insurance company.

The customer need to review the front hood closing video on the Chevrolet Corvette Owners website. Clearly, our customer did not follow the DIC warning that the hood was opened.

District Manager Aftersales

Hi Jeff,

The body shop manager from _______ called me regarding another 2020 Corvette where the customer said the hood released while he was driving. The body shop manager had told the customer this repair would not be covered based on the last one we had. Customer had given authorization to repair and they are nearly complete now. Pac has already denied based on repairs being near complete. Assume nothing has changed since the last one of these we had, but wanted to make sure?
Is there any bulletin or other document that is out there related to this concern? Customer is asking for something in writing. I will advise dealer to document on RO if nothing else. Thanks,

District Manager Aftersales
Old 08-04-2020, 10:51 PM
Pinmaniac
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikerjulio
I've been suggesting that everyone run their PDR in dashcam mode with audio. The audio especially is important.

So, no chimes or DIC warning?

Surprised if there is no paint damage. Mine was caused by opening the hood with the bent hinges.

FYI the fenders need to come off to replace hinges.

Congrats on at least having video. Mine has 94 K views!
There were no chimes or warnings. Wish I read your post earlier. I now have paint damage after opening the hood.

Get notified of new replies

To Front hood popped open today

Old 08-05-2020, 12:13 AM
LJT
Racer

Originally Posted by gtr
How long does it need to be? 3 links with the hook is about 6-8 inches? i'm thinking about using some strap instead of chains if possible. Don't want to be the guy that hood blew open at highway speeds.

Last edited by LJT; 08-05-2020 at 11:35 PM.
shiumai (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 12:27 AM
gtr
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you. Does that lower plastic just pull off?

It seems all our cars are at risk and i'm guessing some frequencies interference that trigger this opening. I'm going to do this until GM solves this problem. I don't know how they get this passed without a secondary latch and most 99% of cars have a mechanical latch. I hope everyone stay latched, stay safe.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:58 AM
LJT
Racer

Originally Posted by gtr
Thank you. Does that lower plastic just pull off?
Yes the lower plastic just pulls up (clips hold it in).

Quick Reply: Front hood popped open today