Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's an example of why GM needs to change the way it sells cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 09:00 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

These threads seem to pop up a few times a week. Go to one of the big three. Their orders get preference. They will get you a Car. All three have too much on the line to go after a customer like that.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:00 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 871 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony Chan
From the way I read it, she wants him to come in and tell her what he said on the phone to her in person, instead of on the phone and hanging up. She’s not telling him to come in to make a deal.
Here is how the game is played:
1. No actual price quotes unless in person at the dealership.
2. All advertised prices are bogus come-ons.
3. No sales contracts are valid.
4. Unless you are a lawyer, don't bother making any legal threats.
5. Sales people make nothing until they sell a car so no sense wasting time with anyone who won't buy.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:05 PM
MAD Matt
Drifting

Received 1,353 Likes on 600 Posts

Go buy another new Prius then.

Last edited by MAD Matt; 08-03-2020 at 12:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JLew (08-03-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 09:06 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 241 Posts

You can rag on GM but they’re not the only company that dose business like that. I’ve had similar experiences with Ford, Acura, Honda, Chrysler and others. Unfortunately, that’s the nature of the business. I believe car salesmen are only second to lawyers for the least trusted people.

Speaking of sub sandwiches, how honest are they? You never get a sub that looks like the one in the commercial.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:14 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by blackmagicZ
You can rag on GM but they’re not the only company that dose business like that. I’ve had similar experiences with Ford, Acura, Honda, Chrysler and others. Unfortunately, that’s the nature of the business. .
Really? Does Lexus insult their customers and cheat them constantly?
According to J.D. Power, Porsche ranks highest in sales satisfaction among luxury brands, achieving a score of 827. This is the second consecutive year—and the fourth time since 2015—that Porsche has ranked highest. Mercedes-Benz (825) ranks second.
tdrake2020 (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 09:19 PM
tdrake2020
Pro

Received 321 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by SD1
Let me get this straight, you want to TELL the dealer how to do business as if they have to follow your directives and personal whims?

Sounds like the dealer has plenty of interest and probably not enough allocation to cover it, yet here you are, in complete defiance of market conditions demanding that you be treated differently then everyone else and then flying into hysteria because the corner Chevy store wont bow to your threats.

Sound about right....... lol
No it doesn't sound right and apparently you need to turn up the contrast on your monitor since you obviously can't read my original post.

Again in simplified English:

Dealer want $500 non-refundable deposit w/o giving me a sales contract.

When I go to pick up car then dealer hit me up with thousands of dollars of fees since I don't have contract.

Then my choices are: 1. Walk and lose my $500 OR 2. Cave in to the scum bag POS and let him rape me.

Now do you understand?

Old 08-02-2020, 09:19 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by C8J
In my the rest of the story I explained how I did everything on a handshake. No fees.... but Covid changed that. I think dealerships are hurting from lower sales volumes and maintenance. Possibly I should possibly have had a signed contract, but my salesman was above board on the entire Evolution.

It was The sales manager who added in the dealer fee and a couple of other fees for apx $1,000 over MSRP. I could have walked and everything would have been ok, but then the question was is it a big enough deal to pay the extra $1K and get my C8 or walk. I just consider it like some that paid the $5K to get a fast pass and I have my C8 NOW while some are still waiting and no real reason to complain, but they'll reduce my next car (not C8) an additional $1K.

You just need to know who you are dealing with and are they reliable. If not, don't look in the rear camera.
Considering how dealers were gouging over msrp, i think you did okay.
i'm willing to wait.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:28 PM
tdrake2020
Pro

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
They tried that. Saturn was fixed price no haggle. It didn't work out very well.

I'm glad you're an expert on what GM can unilaterally do with their franchise contract. I've never seen one and I'm betting you haven't either.
The ever devil's advocate Zymurgy.....

I think it's a pretty simple concept. If I own the franchise I set the terms. Take McDonalds as an example. They buy my buns, my mustard, my coffee maker and they act in accordance with my rules of conduct. If the dealer doesn't like the terms of the franchise they can go sell another brand. If I do the secret shopper check-up and find that they are violating the terms of the contract they pay up, get slapped on the wrist or whatever I decide I want to do with a franchisee that is breaking the terms of the contract. Not difficult to understand.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:34 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Post your email to them that got the reply you shared.

Preferably an unedited screenshot.

Last edited by 919cw313; 08-02-2020 at 09:35 PM.
JLew (08-03-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 09:44 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

You can rag on GM but they’re not the only company that dose business like that. I’ve had similar experiences with Ford, Acura, Honda, Chrysler and others. Unfortunately, that’s the nature of the business. I believe car salesmen are only second to lawyers for the least trusted people.

Speaking of sub sandwiches, how honest are they? You never get a sub that looks like the one in the commercial.
Jersey Mikes is pretty damn close to the commercials
Old 08-02-2020, 09:46 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,876 Likes on 4,276 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by tdrake2020
No it doesn't sound right and apparently you need to turn up the contrast on your monitor since you obviously can't read my original post.

When I go to pick up car then dealer hit me up with thousands of dollars of fees since I don't have contract.

Then my choices are: 1. Walk and lose my $500 OR 2. Cave in to the scum bag POS and let him rape me.

Now do you understand?
You’ve clearly never ordered a vehicle before and obviously don’t understand the process. There are literally hundreds of threads here on the GM order/allocation process. I would recommend you read up before your next conversation with a dealer
JLew (08-03-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 09:49 PM
SD1
Burning Brakes

Received 343 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by tdrake2020

Now do you understand?
This is you TELLLING them they have to sell the car to you at MSRP or whatever profit margin is acceptable to you. LOL

How simple is this, they wont agree to terms, there is NO CONTRACT, next dealer please.

I cant even accept a deposit without a deal recap (internal contract) so not all dealers are the same.

I have been in the car business for 30 years, I dont have to lie about anything and I dont. I will say, customers lie to me with abandon. I could care less, their integrity has ZERO influence on who I am and how I operate.

Phil1098 (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 09:51 PM
tdrake2020
Pro

Originally Posted by Sin City
I don't think its unreasonable to ask for a contract for what you're putting a deposit on. And it seems crazy that you would put a deposit down and then the dealer could just price it anyway they want. If you walk they keep your $500 and have probably 10 buyers already lined up to take it.
The solution to your problem: Mike Furman.
I just love it when a person actually manages to understand a simple concept! My hat off to you sir!
427bob (08-04-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 09:59 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Really? Does Lexus insult their customers and cheat them constantly?
According to J.D. Power, Porsche ranks highest in sales satisfaction among luxury brands, achieving a score of 827. This is the second consecutive year—and the fourth time since 2015—that Porsche has ranked highest. Mercedes-Benz (825) ranks second.
I bought a brand new 2011 Lexus GS350 and had problems with it. On one occasion, I brought the car in for service and they damaged one of the outside mirrors. They would not take responsibility for the damage. I argued with the service manager, so the best they would do is pay for parts but I had to pay for the labor.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:59 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SD1

I have been in the car business for 30 years, I dont have to lie about anything and I dont..
Since there are 3,000 Chevy dealers in the U.S., how is it possible that only the top 3 Corvette dealers are known by CF members to be legit?
With 30 years in the business, can you explain why Chevy dealers have such an atrocious reputation?
Old 08-02-2020, 10:01 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

I bought a brand new 2011 Lexus GS350 and had problems with it. On one occasion, I brought the car in for service and they damaged one of the outside mirrors. They would not take responsibility for the damage. I argued with the service manager, so the best they would do is pay for parts but I had to pay for the labor.
Did the Lexus salesman insult you during the buying process? Did he try to cheat you?
Old 08-02-2020, 10:03 PM
tdrake2020
Pro

Originally Posted by jcp911s
We had an expression for this..."two skunks pissing on each other.."

This guy clearly likes to seek out or create confrontational situations, big-time some schmuck to feed his own ego, and then brag about it behind the anonymity of a web forum....
"...big-time some schmuck to feed his own ego, and then brag about it behind the anonymity of a web forum..." So says the keyboard cowboy hiding behind the anonymity of this web forum. I love the irony and stupid posts of this forum..... This is entertaining... Please keep those cards and letters coming!

Get notified of new replies

To Here's an example of why GM needs to change the way it sells cars

Old 08-02-2020, 10:09 PM
tdrake2020
Pro

Originally Posted by Raisin Man
This is true, and how most of the Forum-affiliated dealers operate. Legally, your vaunted “contract” still isn’t worth much more than the paper it‘’s printed on. Price term is indefinite, and subject to later determination by GM. Specific car you want has not been manufactured and cannot be identified. Time for Dealer performance under the contract is indeterminate as well. The list of problems with your contract goes on... Dealing with knowledgeable, reputable people - as others have pointed out - would be preferable to your reliance on a contract that is probably unenforceable anyway.
It was never my intention of seeking "specific performance" of contract since that's difficult to do.. On the other hand... It's not difficult to sue for damages due to non performance of contract. Or just operate under the assumption that the dealer actually wants to make $8000+ from the sale of my vehicle.
CalJim (08-03-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 10:12 PM
tdrake2020
Pro

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
My deposit agreement specifically says MSRP plus applicable taxes and fees. That way the agreement is still valid without knowing the exact MSRP.
Your only problem is that you are agreeing to pay "fees" which are not specified. A dealership can basically make up all sorts of fees at the time of delivery. They pull this crap on people every day. And people who don't know better pay those ridiculous fees.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:12 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Did the Lexus salesman insult you during the buying process? Did he try to cheat you?
‘Now if I answer that, you’ll just come back with, well you should of just walked. This could go on and on but it’s not worth the time and effort. All I said was GM and Chevy are not the only ones that do business that way.

Quick Reply: Here's an example of why GM needs to change the way it sells cars