Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear view mirror.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 03:01 PM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Rear view mirror.

If you have eye glasses, you may not like the rearview mirror while in it's camera mode. My next pair of glasses will have the bifocal cut both on the bottom and on the top. That will do it!
Old 08-07-2020, 11:45 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,228 Likes on 6,233 Posts

We have the camera mirror in my wife's 2020 XT4. I like it. I wear glasses and they are progressive lenses. I have no problem with my glasses and the camera mirror.
The following users liked this post:
dncc58 (08-08-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 10:13 PM
aakendrick
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Streaming Rearview Mirror Option

I didn't have a problem with the blind spots in my C8 1LT. However, I decided to add the TOGUARD front and rearview streaming mirror to my C8 which only cost me $69 on Amazon and 2 hrs of my time. Everything would have been great if I had found an adequate place to mount the rear camera outside of the car that would give me a similar view of the GM OE camera. In my opinion, the rear camera was too ugly to be put in a place where it could be seen. So I mounted the camera on the inside rear window near the top. So I basically got the same view for the most part just streaming. The camera works great and images are 2.5k in the front camera and 1080 for the rear camera. There are a number of other useful features on the camera which serve as a dashcam front/rear, offer parking accident assist, GPS, and more. The downside is the ugly rear camera, you lose the ability to use the regular rearview mirror, and using the inside window mount there is sometimes a slight glare due to how the sunlight hits the rear window. A better mounting location and the ability to switch from regular to steaming mirror view would make this a great aftermarket option for the C8 1LT.
Rear camera mounting location

TOGUARD 12" 2.5K Front and Rearview mirror.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:07 AM
bodak1
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Weasel
If you have eye glasses, you may not like the rearview mirror while in it's camera mode. My next pair of glasses will have the bifocal cut both on the bottom and on the top. That will do it!
I agree this is a problem-I also have to raise my chin to where I am viewing the mirror with my middle Tri-focal or the image will be blurry. The other problem is the distance-cars in view appear further back than they really are. On the other hand, no reflective glare as I sometimes get looking thru the normal mirror.
Weasel (12-15-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 10:01 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

When I first look at the mirror in camera mode I get double vision for a while.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:15 AM
EasyLivin
Race Director

Received 3,161 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
When I first look at the mirror in camera mode I get double vision for a while.

Takes me a second or two to focus... Angling the mirror down all the way seems to help. It's also difficult to see if I have anything stuck in my teeth....
Old 12-13-2020, 01:13 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,228 Likes on 6,233 Posts

Originally Posted by bodak1
I agree this is a problem-I also have to raise my chin to where I am viewing the mirror with my middle Tri-focal or the image will be blurry. The other problem is the distance-cars in view appear further back than they really are. On the other hand, no reflective glare as I sometimes get looking thru the normal mirror.
The "Zoom" is adjustable, as is the brightness and tilt.

The following 2 users liked this post by Zymurgy:
Formula52 (01-11-2023), mytvet (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 09:37 PM
bub
Safety Car

Received 198 Likes on 122 Posts

Noticed 2nite that I sorta prefer the standard mirror mode at night.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:53 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,341 Likes on 3,537 Posts

Simple, when you get old and cranky, needing cataract surgery, opt for the latest ultra hi-tech lens implants. The closest thing to magic I've ever encountered!
Old 12-13-2020, 11:45 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,769 Likes on 6,725 Posts

I've had progressive transition glasses for >30 years. Head learns to tilt to give best view. I have zero issues with the great TV camera "mirror." Have it set for a wide view and don't really need the side mirrors as much as I did! I did find tilting the mirror is helpful. The view DOES NOT change just makes it easier to see at a quick glance.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:46 AM
Jeff Eikenberry
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I asked my optometrist about getting glasses with bifocal lines at the top. She said they do not make such an animal. It’s either something rarely requested or a liability issue for the manufacturer, should one pile his car up?
Old 12-14-2020, 05:32 PM
Trustym
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

I was surprised as I heard this before I picked mine up. But it's no different than glancing down at your speedometer or radio or anything else. I didn't have any issues focusing and LOVE the camera mirror. I don't even use the normal mirror (although I do have it positioned correctly just in case I needed to switch to it for any reason).
nc_cali (02-15-2021)
Old 12-14-2020, 05:40 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 537 Likes on 363 Posts

You are going to change your prescription so you can use your mirror? Will the new one affect your sight the hours you are NOT in the car?
Old 12-15-2020, 05:16 AM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 45 Posts

Electricians who work on ladders have for years turned their glasses upside down to see better upwards. But for now I just raise my chin in the car.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:20 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,769 Likes on 6,725 Posts

Electricians who work on ladders have for years turned their glasses upside down to see better upwards. But for now I just raise my chin in the car.
I have used progressive glasses for 30+ years. They are similar to trifocals but better! They have a reading range at the bottom and correction progresses to your distance vision up top. Since I spend a lot of time on a computer that longer more center further than reading distance is very important. In fact my distance vision does not need that much correction. That progressive correction contour is only when looking straight ahead in the middle area.

Being in the sunny south I have always gotten transitions as well. Today they go from perfectly clear to dark sun glasses.

I recall when I started wearing them a person who did said the only way they work well is if you put them on in the morning and only take them off at night! If you don't do that you will have difficulty going down steps, putting etc. Some people who try them give up! I recall when I first walked through Lowes and was glancing on both sides up and down as I walked down and isle. It was disconcerting as you went from clear to blurry! No issue now as your brain learns to have you head and eyes positioned to look through the right area for best vison! Similar in some ways to folks who get long distance contacts for one eye and reading for another! The brain is smart!

I have zero issues with the "TV Faux Mirror!" "Best thing since sliced bread," for knowing where all cars are all around! I have found if I tilt the "TV Mirror Screen" so it is perpendicular to my line of sight I see it best. It's NOT a mirror so has NO effect on the view. If I were to flip the lever and make it an actual mirror (which I don't) I would have to readjust it. Suggest you or the other viewers of this post might try that even if you have simple bifocals.

I have my "TV Screen Faux Mirror" set for a wide view. Just have to remember what in says in your convex passenger side mirror; "objects in mirror are closer than they appear!"

Last edited by JerryU; 12-15-2020 at 06:27 AM.
Weasel (12-15-2020)
Old 10-11-2022, 10:42 AM
Phil 2018SS
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C8 OEM rear camera housing

Originally Posted by aakendrick
I didn't have a problem with the blind spots in my C8 1LT. However, I decided to add the TOGUARD front and rearview streaming mirror to my C8 which only cost me $69 on Amazon and 2 hrs of my time. Everything would have been great if I had found an adequate place to mount the rear camera outside of the car that would give me a similar view of the GM OE camera. In my opinion, the rear camera was too ugly to be put in a place where it could be seen. So I mounted the camera on the inside rear window near the top. So I basically got the same view for the most part just streaming. The camera works great and images are 2.5k in the front camera and 1080 for the rear camera. There are a number of other useful features on the camera which serve as a dashcam front/rear, offer parking accident assist, GPS, and more. The downside is the ugly rear camera, you lose the ability to use the regular rearview mirror, and using the inside window mount there is sometimes a slight glare due to how the sunlight hits the rear window. A better mounting location and the ability to switch from regular to steaming mirror view would make this a great aftermarket option for the C8 1LT.
Rear camera mounting location

TOGUARD 12" 2.5K Front and Rearview mirror.
I know it's been a while since your post. How is it working out for you? Do you thing the camera would fit in the C8 OEM rear camera housing from a 2LT?
Old 10-11-2022, 10:52 AM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,139 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Eikenberry
I asked my optometrist about getting glasses with bifocal lines at the top. She said they do not make such an animal. It’s either something rarely requested or a liability issue for the manufacturer, should one pile his car up?
I've seen shooting glasses with the bifocal at the top so you can see the sights on the gun.
https://romanceuniversity.org/top-bi...oting-glasses/

Last edited by CP; 10-15-2022 at 03:26 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear view mirror.

Quick Reply: Rear view mirror.