Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential deadly defect found in the C8

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 09:56 AM
ChiefBoats

Location: NNCC No Name Car Crew Owned 1 C2, 2 C3's, 1 C4, 3 C5's, 1 C6, 2 C7's Now '81, '86, '03.
Received 3,949 Likes on 1,624 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C3 of the Year Wnner - Unmodified
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

"it's been a pleasure, Mr. Wick......goodbye"
Old 09-14-2020, 10:15 AM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,739 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Simple question. Can anyone think of a good reason why this is a better design than putting a door handle on a door?

For the moment, just set aside the fact that yes, it's easy to figure out how to find and use the floor-mounted door release. That's obivous, and everyone acknowledges that. It's equally obvious that a lot of folks don't initially find it.

But, is it a better design and what was the reason for doing it that way?
It's tremendously worse, IMO, with no advantage, and added complexity and failure modes. I've always disliked this on my C7.
The following 2 users liked this post by RedLS6:
AORoads (09-14-2020), Foosh (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 10:20 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by JABCAT
The bottom line that’s been stated multiple times now is if you don’t read your manual to understand the features of your vehicle, or don’t know how to use Google, or do not have the common sense to open your glove box to look in the manual, or remove the top on a removable top vehicle then that’s on you. People need to take responsibility for their incompetence & stop looking to place the blame on everyone else.
I would add that if you're not intelligent enough to do any of those things, you shouldn't own a Corvette. In fact, you probably shouldn't have a license to drive any car.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve_R:
09ZR1 (09-15-2020), Bob A. (09-17-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 10:20 AM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I apologize if someone already mentioned it but I remember a few years back a C6 owner and his dog died in his car when his battery went dead. I don't remember all the details but there was a forum member here who went for a trip out in the desert and the same thing happened to him. He was discovered dead a few days later I believe. My wife once got locked inside my XLR-V with the same locking system and she was not aware of the release handle. My fault for not making sure she was aware of the lever but my point is that it can and does happen.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:29 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,671 Likes on 8,313 Posts

A lot of forum members believe that those who have been unable to find the handle and get out deserved the death sentence for their human failings.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:34 AM
OntarioOrangeC3
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Builderrick
In a true emergency even if the manual door release would fail---Simply Remove the Roof. Nothing electronic to fail on that ! Stand up and climb out.
Looks like HTC owners are SOL on that one. Unless they happen to have sawzall tucked under the seat.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:35 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

A lot of forum members believe that those who have been unable to find the handle and get out deserved the death sentence for their human failings.
You've refined your trolling skills to a fine art. (That's not a compliment BTW.)

As has been already posted multiple times in this thread, there are several ways to get out of a C6, C7, or C8 even if you have no clue about the emergency release handle. It's not a "death sentence" and in all honesty if a person can't figure out any of those ways out it's unlikely another way out in the form of a handle on the door would do any good.

Bob A. (09-17-2020), The_Dude (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 10:37 AM
09ZR1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts

Did you not try to call Onstar through the button on the rear view mirror? They can unlock the doors remotely. When I first bought my C7 ZO6/ZO7 I started the car in my garage and forgot to get something and when I shut the door I heard them lock and my keys were in the cup holder. I did NOT have active service on it but I had heard they will unlock doors without having active service if there was a baby, old person, or animal stuck in it. I called anyway since my options were to break the window or have it towed to the dealer, I told the lady what happened and those were the first questions she asked but I couldn’t lie to her. Surprisingly and for reasons I don’t remember or understand she said she couldn’t open the doors for me but called a locksmith to come out at no charge to me, it was a ancient black man that came out with a slim jim in hand and we both immediately said that wasn’t going to work. He then called in the Onstar to tell them his situation and while he was on the phone the lady he was talking to unlocked my doors. Maybe because the car was in my garage and could verify I wasn’t a car thief she opened the door but I was very appreciative for the help. True Story
Old 09-14-2020, 10:37 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Steve_R
You've refined your trolling skills to a fine art. (That's not a compliment BTW.)
Yep, I'm a 16-year veteran troll here with a lot of friends and like-minded company.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-14-2020 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Quote added due to intervening post.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:45 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Simple question. Can anyone think of a good reason why this is a better design than putting a door handle on a door?

For the moment, just set aside the fact that yes, it's easy to figure out how to find and use the floor-mounted door release. That's obivous, and everyone acknowledges that. It's equally obvious that a lot of folks don't initially find it.

But, is it a better design and what was the reason for doing it that way?
The latch is no longer in the door, you cannot put the door handle on the door. Is it safer to put the latch inside the rear quarter panel versus inside the door? I don't know, you would have to ask the design engineer.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:50 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

OK, that would be a reason. But, was there an advantage to moving the latch from the door to the body?
Old 09-14-2020, 10:52 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,943 Likes on 4,309 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I don’t believe that’s what’s been said or insinuated at all. It’s simply there are sometimes unfortunate consequences to actions & people need to take personal responsibility. It’s the same thing when people climb over a wall & stand on the very edge of the Grand Canyon to try to take a selfie & then unfortunately fall their death. It’s not the National Park’s fault these people didn’t read the warnings, find other designated areas to see out over the canyon, etc. Does it suck that the fell to their death, yes. Is it anyone else’s fault, no.

GM provides clear instructions on how to operate the doors & there are multiple ways to get out of the vehicle if there is no power to the door mechanism.
The following 2 users liked this post by JABCAT:
Bob A. (09-17-2020), Zymurgy (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 10:56 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Sure it was. Read through the Darwin comments, etc.

Of course, there are clear instructions, but does not being familiar with them merit a death sentence? It's pretty universal for humans to look for a door handle or **** on a door, and it's really more of a passenger issue than an owner one.

Moreover, you can't pop the top off C6, C7, or C8 convertibles, or the C6 Z06.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-14-2020 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:02 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Yep, I'm a 16-year veteran troll here with a lot of friends and like-minded company.
When I traded my C6 for an early '14 C7 you posted useful and valuable info in the C7 forum. Now all you do is badmouth GM and the C8 and you don't own a Corvette. It's a marked change that's been noticed by many people here.

Maybe you should start a "I Hate GM and Corvettes" forum and take your like-minded company with you.

Bob A. (09-14-2020), The_Dude (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 11:03 AM
pmayo
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 92 Posts

Is this April 1st???

The following users liked this post:
Lacquer (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 11:05 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by 09ZR1
Did you not try to call Onstar through the button on the rear view mirror? They can unlock the doors remotely. When I first bought my C7 ZO6/ZO7 I started the car in my garage and forgot to get something and when I shut the door I heard them lock and my keys were in the cup holder. I did NOT have active service on it but I had heard they will unlock doors without having active service if there was a baby, old person, or animal stuck in it. I called anyway since my options were to break the window or have it towed to the dealer, I told the lady what happened and those were the first questions she asked but I couldn’t lie to her. Surprisingly and for reasons I don’t remember or understand she said she couldn’t open the doors for me but called a locksmith to come out at no charge to me, it was a ancient black man that came out with a slim jim in hand and we both immediately said that wasn’t going to work. He then called in the Onstar to tell them his situation and while he was on the phone the lady he was talking to unlocked my doors. Maybe because the car was in my garage and could verify I wasn’t a car thief she opened the door but I was very appreciative for the help. True Story
If you have the fob in your hand when you approach your vehicle, why not put it in your pocket or man purse instead of dropping it in the cup holder? You need the fob when you exit the vehicle so I am still struggling with the rational of leaving it in the cup holder. What advantage are you getting from this practice, especially seeing the huge hassle in dealing with regaining access.

Also, if you were home, why not get your 2nd fob???
Old 09-14-2020, 11:06 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Yeah, I agree it's all funny, and one can get used to any design regardless of how counter-intuitive it is. It's also amazing how simple it is to make things intuitive, especially when almost everyone else in the world designed it a more intuitive way in this particular case.

Obviously, the way it works in Corvettes is absolutely no big deal after about 1 minute of familiarity, but it takes some sophistication to ask the question of why it does serve as a source of confusion for those not familiar with it? Another way of approaching the question is to ask, is there a good reason to do it the way Corvette does it, or did some engineer just decide one day, "boy this is cool?"

I admire Phil1098's post #163 above. He obviously "gets it," and he is a big Corvette fan. I always have been too, traditionally. I am an incurable safety professional and think that way all the time. I'm also very intellectually curious about why things are designed the way they are.
When I drive multiple cars it takes me a split second to figure out where the controls are.

On my E55 Mercedes the seat control is on the door, the window switches are on the central tunnel, the door lock switch is on the middle of the instrument panel. You couldn't make it more confusing.

Putting the release handle on the C6/7/8 on the floor is also less intuitive, but it could be more safe and more luxurious. Less noise, dust coming through the door panel due to the absence of a hole where the handle mechanism goes through it.

Get notified of new replies

To Potential deadly defect found in the C8

Old 09-14-2020, 11:06 AM
ChiefBoats

Location: NNCC No Name Car Crew Owned 1 C2, 2 C3's, 1 C4, 3 C5's, 1 C6, 2 C7's Now '81, '86, '03.
Received 3,949 Likes on 1,624 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C3 of the Year Wnner - Unmodified
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Some folks just don't have a damn thing to do.............
Old 09-14-2020, 11:09 AM
pauly1119
Drifting

Received 401 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'11

I thank you for your service, with that you are kinda trolling though. You said you sold your Corvette? What do you have in this game at this point other then trolling?
Bob A. (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 11:11 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Steve_R
When I traded my C6 for an early '14 C7 you posted useful and valuable info in the C7 forum. Now all you do is badmouth GM and the C8 and you don't own a Corvette. It's a marked change that's been noticed by many people here.

Maybe you should start a "I Hate GM and Corvettes" forum and take your like-minded company with you.
I have said many complimentary things about the C8, and I have defended it against what I considered to be misinformed attacks. It's a great car. I critique things about the C8 as I did about the C7 and the C6 when I owned them (2 of each). Your recall is selective.

I don't hate the C8 or GM or Corvette, so I have no motivation to heed your silly suggestion.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-14-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Bob A. (09-14-2020)

Quick Reply: Potential deadly defect found in the C8