Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great Wall (c) - Is there time to design this out before the Z06 arrives?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 11:49 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 516 Posts

I agree with all of the above as it is a spectacular interior design far beyond what Porsche, Ferrari, and now the new Maserati MC20 which will compete with the ZR1 and Zora models
Old 09-26-2020, 12:21 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by ben1272
Funny, the highly acclaimed McLaren F1 had a center driver position utterly horrible for passengers (both of them) and that car is a legend.....Corvette does something driver centric and its "the passenger, the passenger, oh my, the passenger is uncomfortable!" "change it!"

oh brother,
F1 compared to a C8? You can't be serious. The C8 is a normal street car made for the masses so yes the passenger area should be of a concern.

Originally Posted by JerryU
What's worse, is the biggest critics don't own one and complain about features they don't understand! Yep, initially didn't like the flat bottom steering wheel I was getting on my 2017 Grand Sport and thought the C8 top and bottom being squared was foolish. BUT now that I see the flat top of the steering wheel allows me to see above the lower upper dash since it's lower as there is no front engine- makes a lot of sense! To each their own!

In fact I had posted this pic when it just had a flat bottom!

Posted this pic foolishly when I saw my 2017 Grand Sport would have a flat bottom wheel. Now that I see the advantages of a square wheel for visibility and it's a none issue turning - it's fine!
Ever been gang banged in a prison shower by 12 guys? No? How are you sure you don't like it without trying it?

You don't have to own or experience something to be critical or have a opinion. Weak argument at best. Or are you planning to organize a gang bang to prove me wrong?
The following 3 users liked this post by TLS_Addict:
JABCAT (09-26-2020), MaryAnnB (10-17-2020), vndkshn (09-28-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 12:37 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,779 Likes on 6,729 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
F1 compared to a C8? You can't be serious. The C8 is a normal street car made for the masses so yes the passenger area should be of a concern.

Ever been gang banged in a prison shower by 12 guys? No? How are you sure you don't like it without trying it?

You don't have to own or experience something to be critical or have a opinion. Weak argument at best. Or are you planning to organize a gang bang to prove me wrong?
DO YOU READ? Obviously not must have been in prison and liked it! I said I like the square wheel. I have a C8 do you? That pic was from 2017 which I said, before I got my 2017 Grand Sport with one flat!

Suggest you read rather than just look at pics. However I usually post pics because many on the forum won't read beyond 280 characters!

Old 09-26-2020, 12:54 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by intensifi
I note the tunnel isn’t really needed in this car as it was with the C7.

Couldn’t that space be reclaimed and provide room for the HVAC controls as in the C7?

Having a lower center console as in the Ferrari F8 seems like a good option. The Great Wall between the passenger and driver could go away!

I'm with you...The Great Wall looks awful.
The Ferrari solution is much more elegant AND ergonomic.

Other than that, the C8 interior design looks fairly decent (albeit a bit simplistic).
The following 2 users liked this post by sunsalem:
23/C8Z (09-26-2020), MaryAnnB (10-17-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 12:58 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
DO YOU READ? Obviously not must have been in prison and liked it! I said I like the square wheel. I have a C8 do you? That pic was from 2017 which I said, before I got my 2017 Grand Sport with one flat!

Suggest you read rather than just look at pics. However I usually post pics because many on the forum won't read beyond 280 characters!
What the hell are going on about with regards to your C7? I never mentioned the square wheel. Do you comprehend? Obviously not! This thread is about the wall of buttons.

I only put in bold the first section and didn't look at your pics. I have read your inaccurate posts for years. They are hilarious.

Your second sentence is odd. "Obviously not must have been in prison and enjoyed it!" What does that mean? It's poorly written especially for someone asking me if I read. Did you forget to use some punctuation? Did you forget a word? Do you wright? Obviously not! Oh, you were trying ask me if I was in prison and say I liked it. Sad.

Last edited by TLS_Addict; 09-26-2020 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:59 PM
sblvro
Pro

Received 326 Likes on 158 Posts

I initially didn't warm up to the console wall of the C8 but AFTER owning it since 09/12, I think it makes perfect sense! it is like a WRC rally car set up where the driver is high up focused and the navigator/passenger sits lower. Now this design like somebody mentioned is "copied" by ferrari in their ferrari Roma and it is the best design ferrari has ever made according to the critics?
The following users liked this post:
WalterSobchak (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 01:05 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I'm with you...The Great Wall looks awful.
The Ferrari solution is much more elegant AND ergonomic.

Other than that, the C8 interior design looks fairly decent (albeit a bit simplistic).
One look at the F8 interior and it screams high quality.

We cannot expect a 100k C8 to have the quality and perfect ergonomics of a 300k plus Ferrari.

The ergonomics and layout of the 458 488 and F8 really works well and is driver focused without a big separation or device between the driver and passenger compartments.

Ferrari really nailed it with these gen interior design and layout.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:17 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,779 Likes on 6,729 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
What the hell are going on about with regards to your C7? I never mentioned the square wheel. Do you comprehend? Obviously not! This thread is about the wall of buttons.

You were the one who posted: "Ever been gang banged in a prison shower by 12 guys?"
You would not have liked my response I would have used 60+ years ago as a teenager! No safe places then!

I said at first I thought the same re the button wall until I goy my C8 and it's all AC which I never touch it! Set at 72, Auto, Sync. IF a passenger wants to adjust their temp there is a slide toggle switch at the bottom (with an LED readout) they can toggle up or down.

Then I said I foolishly posted that pic (as a joke) when I knew my 2017 Grand Sport was getting a flat bottom wheel and said hope they don't use one with a flat top and bottom as that pic shows! Now that I understand it gives me better visibility with the lower dash the ME allows I appreciate it!

Old 09-26-2020, 01:50 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
We cannot expect a 100k C8 to have the quality and perfect ergonomics of a 300k plus Ferrari.
Unlike some people around here, I don't expect Ferrari quality materials in any Corvette.
But it isn't unreasonable to ask for a more fluid ergonomical design from the Interior Design Team.
Because they were given a clean sheet to work with, they were in a position to cherry-pick features/solutions from all sorts of Supercars, etc.
Instead, we have a hideous Great Wall that doesn't really work aesthetically (my opinion) in the C8.

The following 5 users liked this post by sunsalem:
23/C8Z (09-26-2020), intensifi (09-26-2020), MaryAnnB (10-17-2020), NytmereZ (09-28-2020), Rock0720 (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 01:55 PM
CitznFish
Drifting

Received 1,354 Likes on 483 Posts

Some people will literally complain about anything and everything. These people need to get more hobbies.

Last edited by CitznFish; 09-26-2020 at 01:56 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CitznFish:
keagan (09-28-2020), NytmereZ (09-28-2020), Wyldfyer (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 02:02 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 516 Posts

This interior is far beyond the competition regarding ergonomics. A driver focused interior will always locate key control buttons within a relaxed arm reach and as Tadge has mentioned the C8 has excellent centerlined seat position relative to the pedal box alignment. Also the Corvette team typically has both left and right elbow and arm rest positions at equal height to relax your arms at equal elbow height. Very few cars have this level of ergonomic organization. And I was told by one of the Corvette Interior designers that Faurecia was involved in the design phase. They also do Ferrari and Bugatti interiors. See the Bugatti Chiron Interior in the link below. Notice the layered dash like the C8.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/be/91...e255773c9c.jpg

Last edited by skank; 09-26-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:17 PM
intensifi
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
This interior is far beyond the competition regarding ergonomics. A driver focused interior will always locate key control buttons within a relaxed arm reach and as Tadge has mentioned the C8 has excellent centerlined seat position relative to the pedal box alignment. Also the Corvette team typically has both left and right elbow and arm rest positions at equal height to relax your arms at equal elbow height. Very few cars have this level of ergonomic organization. And I was told by one of the Corvette Interior designers that Faurecia was involved in the design phase. They also do Ferrari and Bugatti interiors. See the Bugatti Chiron Interior in the link below. Notice the layered dash like the C8.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/be/91...e255773c9c.jpg
That is a clean nice looking interior!
sunsalem (09-27-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 04:25 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 169 Likes on 109 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

I like it. It really isolates the driver in a driver focused vehicle. Sure, it's structurally supportive, but it's also as much a cockpit design decision as it is a necessity. They made it functional twice over. You really only have a handful of options. Support around the perimeter of the vehicle, which leads to very large door sills, and with that comes the difficulty of entering and exiting the vehicle (particularly for certain age groups whose mobility could be a concern) along with decreased usable interior space. Support through the center, GM chose this option and decided this was the most practical for the widest audience. Sure, they could shrink it but it would have to be made out of a different material or significantly reinforced adding cost and weight. Another option is a carbon fiber monocoque, but then the price of the car triples and it's discontinued a year later due to sales figures in the single digits. The final option that wouldn't fly is a fixed roof or t-tops with a massive center roof support. I think GM made the right call here.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:47 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

the wall is not even that big in drivers position once you are sitting in it
Red Mist Rulz (09-27-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 04:54 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Old 09-26-2020, 04:57 PM
ben1272
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 48 Posts

Yes, comparing the driver centric interior layouts of a C8 and an F1. Glad you were able to make that determination. F1 designers made it driver centric, and so did C8 designers. Not overly concerned what the passenger is thinking, though I believe the C8 passenger accomodations are quite nice enough.

So yes, I am serious.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:25 PM
intensifi
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

I had a discussion with a car designer today. He indicated it would NOT be realistic to make as significant a change as I suggest in this thread for one model year out.

He did have an additional observation/concern and a thought on a less disruptive change that COULD be made within a model year though.

Observation: The concern raised was the current design may have an additional drawback. Given the shallow slope of the Great Wall, reflections from the sun could be in the driver's eyes as when a passenger uses their smart phone or looks at their reflective watch. He thought the buttons on the Great Wall would be worse in this regard as you can't ask them to move the phone or the watch.

Has this been experienced by anyone while driving a C8?

When I drove the C8 this was not an issue due to the time of day.

Revised design concept: He suggested the slope of the Great Wall could be increased to make it similar to the C7 "Oh ****" passenger handle. (Side note: He used mine on the Z06 for that purpose after the discussion). At this angle it would no longer be a "Great Wall" as the barrier between the passenger and driver would be removed. The width of this "HVAC control center" would be WIDENED from the current "Great Wall" design width to accommodate TWO COLUMNS of buttons/controls given the reduction in length. Then he really took it to the next level. He said in this revised design there should be a place for the driver's finger tips to wrap around the top so it would be more "natural" to use the driver's right thumb to press/move the controls. He thought the current "Great Wall" promoted using the driver's finger tip to activate the button/control - which he viewed as non-optimal. With this "lip" concept he said this revised design could even accommodate an "Oh ****" handle for the passenger. It just wouldn't have a "hole" as in the C7.

This design concept leaves the console height alone so the driver's right arm remains the same height as the left arm rest. Plus the passenger has access to said console for their left arm.

I wish I had the CAD skills/tools to draw this up. Is anyone on here game to to draw this up and post a few pics?

Last edited by intensifi; 09-26-2020 at 05:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Great Wall (c) - Is there time to design this out before the Z06 arrives?

Old 09-26-2020, 05:31 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 756 Likes on 306 Posts

The passenger seat is for comfort the rest belongs to the driver. That's the rules at our house. If I am in the wife's car she controls everything. Same goes when she rides in my vehicles. We both prefer it taht way.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:36 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,933 Likes on 4,753 Posts

Let it go, you act like you are fixing something that made the "change" list at GM and it didn't. It's not changing, doesn't seem to be slowing down the demand for the car. I have had several people ride in mine and say how stupid it is that people bitch about it because it's only a few inches tall. The way half of the malcontents talk about it, one would think it was three inches from the roof liner.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:50 PM
Wyldfyer
Pro

Received 512 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
I agree. Once you actually own one, it's no where near as big as it looks on the internet. I love the interior AND I can reach my wife's thighs lol.

Folks have exaggerated the crap out of so many things with this car.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wyldfyer:
Phil1098 (09-26-2020), Red Mist Rulz (09-27-2020), WalterSobchak (09-26-2020)

Quick Reply: Great Wall (c) - Is there time to design this out before the Z06 arrives?