Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Lift System fluid reservoir on passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 10:03 PM
Asterism
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dhanley
Thanks for the responses. the following from the owners manual is where I saw a reference to turning off the GPS system to disable the lift from reacting to prior pre set locations, Perhaps this only refers to preventing adding any new ones and not preventing it from reacting to any already pre set, however, if the GPS is disabled, it would seem that it would be unable to identify any pre set ones?

." If the vehicle is raised automatically using GPS, it will automatically lower once the vehicle is located about 60 meters (197 feet) from the programmed location. Drivers can disable this function by turning off GPS location through their vehicle Front Lift System will still operate, but only by using the pushbutton command, and the “Auto Lift Location Remembered” confirmation message will not display".

Dave
The manual is awkwardly worded. You cant turn off the GPS system, what they mean is you can turn off the auto-lift feature so that
the front lift will only activate via the console button instead of automatically using the GPS location.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:53 AM
dhanley
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Default front lift hydraulic leak

Originally posted by Asterism - "The manual is awkwardly worded. You cant turn off the GPS system, what they mean is you can turn off the auto-lift feature so that
the front lift will only activate via the console button instead of automatically using the GPS location".

Thanks for the info, since my goal is to turn off the "automatic lift feature" and will not use the manual button until the leak is fixed and you mention turning off the auto feature, - how is the auto feature turned off?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Dave
Old 01-10-2021, 05:27 AM
Asterism
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Look under Settings->Vehicle and there should be a toggle for it.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:22 AM
/Bear/
Drifting

Received 1,530 Likes on 757 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

Originally Posted by MAD Matt
From what I can tell, looking closely at the new cap, the design looks at bit different from what came on the car. I will say that I occassionally check mine just to make sure it's still dry. So far so good. I guess time will tell........
Interesting! Having to constantly deal with this issue would drastically reduce the benefit and enjoyment of having Front Lift, so hopefully it was a defect they've fixed permanently. For anyone who lives in an area that requires the Front Lift system--to get in and out of their driveway, for instance--it could make the difference between buying a C8, and not.

I hope you guys will keep the rest of us waiting on our cars up to date as new information becomes available.

@68roadster Thanks for creating this thread and for getting the title changed, as that will help people keep track of this issue!

The following users liked this post:
Tin-can (03-05-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 09:42 AM
MAD Matt
Drifting

Received 1,353 Likes on 600 Posts

FWIW, I'm not so sure that the "Slit" is not what the car came with. I discovered my leak when my car had about 400 miles on it. At first, I thought, maybe, the cap simply wasn't sealed tight enough. I had some .080 gasket material in my tool box and made an additonal gasket to accompany the existing one. The cap then sealed really tight and I completely dried the area with paper towels. I then drove the car and used the lift multiple times and upon return, I still had a pretty good leak. I pulled the cap and discovered fluid had made it's way through the slit and blew out the small channel that is in the cap itself. The cap is designed to allow air pressure to escape as the fluid returns to the resevoir when the lift returns to ride height. I thought the slit was too large and was the reason fluid was escaping. I called my dealer and had them order me a cap as I wanted to see if the "Slit" was suppose to be that size???? When the dealer received the new cap, I took my car over and we compared the new cap with the existing one. While the caps were the same, the new one's diaphram did NOT have a "Slit" but a small "Pin Hole" with what looks like a slightly raised donut circling the hole. My car was actually parked out front of the dealership when I compared the two diaphrams with one of their service writers. They thought the same thing as I and that the slit was causing the fluid leak. I can tell you without a doubt that is/was the issue as the new diaphram took care of things. It's interesting to note that when I ordered my cap, the dealer was showing that none were available. The new cap arrived in less than a week and the parts guy told me that GM was now showing over a hundred in stock???? It could be they re-designed the diaphram knowing this issues and as I have said previously, they will warranty them on a "Repair/Replace as needed basis. Another side note is that when I went in to pick up the new cap, they told me the invoice came in as a "No Charge" and there was no cost to me either. I'm the one that suggested to the service writer that they file a warranty claim as a formality and a way to document my car and the issue it was having. My hope was that eventually a TSB would be issued....wishfull thinking I guess.
The following 3 users liked this post by MAD Matt:
bluan (01-10-2021), JerryU (01-10-2021), Ragtop 99 (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 09:56 AM
MAD Matt
Drifting

Originally Posted by /Bear/
Interesting! Having to constantly deal with this issue would drastically reduce the benefit and enjoyment of having Front Lift, so hopefully it was a defect they've fixed permanently. For anyone who lives in an area that requires the Front Lift system--to get in and out of their driveway, for instance--it could make the difference between buying a C8, and not.

I hope you guys will keep the rest of us waiting on our cars up to date as new information becomes available.

@68roadster Thanks for creating this thread and for getting the title changed, as that will help people keep track of this issue!
Since this is the first time that front lift has been offered on a Corvette, it's not really something anyone requires. While it's a cool feature, it is not something that is a "Must Have". Folks have been driving and scraping their Corvettes in the past without any major issues. Not having front lift shouldn't keep anyone from buying a C8 as again, it's simply a cool and useful tool if one wants it. I live in the mountians of NC and have many areas where it comes in handy and provides a bit of added value. I could live without it but since it was available and I planned to lower my car, it made sense....for me. Like any sports car, one should be checking all fluids on a regular basis, so taking a peek at the front lift fluid from time to time is part of regular maintenance. It's really quite simple and easy to do....no biggie.

Last edited by MAD Matt; 01-10-2021 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:29 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,238 Likes on 3,471 Posts

It's okay... GM never used a vented-seal before.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:27 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,199 Likes on 3,401 Posts

I'm surprised there is even a vent hole. Most modern brake reservoirs have a diaphragm to allow for the fluid displacement and don't have a vent hole. Brake fluid is hydroscopic and a vent hole allows some moisture to enter.

But the lift probably requires more fluid displacement during actuation than a brake or clutch application. That's probably why they are having problems with this.

Last edited by RKCRLR; 01-10-2021 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:08 PM
MAD Matt
Drifting

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
I'm surprised there is even a vent hole. Most modern brake reservoirs have a diaphragm to allow for the fluid displacement and don't have a vent hole. Brake fluid is hydroscopic and a vent hole allows some moisture to enter.

But the lift probably requires more fluid displacement during actuation than a brake or clutch application. That's probably why they are having problems with this.
I have a feeling that due to a higher volume of fluid transfer, the diaphram wasn't doing the job. The resevoir is also quite large considering, when full, the fluid level only takes up half the volume. This is the first that I have seen of any kind of brake fluid resevoir that has a vent channel along with a vented diaphram. So folks can get a better idea of what we are all talking about, I've have included a few additional pics....

Close up of the air pressure relief channel...or air intake.

Original diaphram with "slit" as it comes from the factory...My new diaphram has a similar, but round, small ring/donut with a pin hole in the center...no slits.

The"Slit" when pressure is applied from the backside and how large it actually is. There is also a smaller slit 90 degrees to the larger one if you look closely

The spot at 12 o'clock is where the channel clearly vents to the outside edge of the diaphram. While this is the original cap and diaphram, the new one has a round ring with a pin hole instead of an oval ring and a cross slit. As one can see, there is no real visible sign of the slit when no pressure is supplied for the reverse side. The slit is simply too large and allows fluid to be expelled when the system is in operation. The replacement cap and diaphram resolves the issue.

Last edited by MAD Matt; 01-10-2021 at 05:18 PM.
The following 11 users liked this post by MAD Matt:
68roadster (01-11-2021), Bigredwing (01-10-2021), blkvet6 (01-14-2021), bluan (01-10-2021), Broken Halo (01-10-2021), CorvetteOJ (01-14-2021), CZS (01-10-2021), JerryU (01-10-2021), kratedisease (01-14-2021), PHILLIP YOUNG (01-20-2021), Ragtop 99 (01-10-2021) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-10-2021, 06:14 PM
JoelVetteguy
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

Tried to order the part online and the number on your package comes back as no part? Did you order at the dealer.?
Old 01-10-2021, 06:43 PM
MAD Matt
Drifting

Originally Posted by JoelVetteguy
Tried to order the part online and the number on your package comes back as no part? Did you order at the dealer.?
Yes, I had my dealer order the new cap.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:53 PM
bluan
Pro

Received 590 Likes on 205 Posts

I have a feeling that due to a higher volume of fluid transfer, the diaphram wasn't doing the job. The resevoir is also quite large considering, when full, the fluid level only takes up half the volume. This is the first that I have seen of any kind of brake fluid resevoir that has a vent channel along with a vented diaphram. So folks can get a better idea of what we are all talking about, I've have included a few additional pics....

Close up of the air pressure relief channel...or air intake.

Original diaphram with "slit" as it comes from the factory...My new diaphram has a similar, but round, small ring/donut with a pin hole in the center...no slits.

The"Slit" when pressure is applied from the backside and how large it actually is. There is also a smaller slit 90 degrees to the larger one if you look closely

The spot at 12 o'clock is where the channel clearly vents to the outside edge of the diaphram. While this is the original cap and diaphram, the new one has a round ring with a pin hole instead of an oval ring and a cross slit. As one can see, there is no real visible sign of the slit when no pressure is supplied for the reverse side. The slit is simply too large and allows fluid to be expelled when the system is in operation. The replacement cap and diaphram resolves the issue.

Thanks Matt for all the info here! Like everyone else, I'll be looking out for the potential leak. One question though, based on what you said: the slit caused the fluid to overflow through it and caused leak, but the new cap has a pinhole on it, so wouldn't the pressure also push the fluid though the hole as well? If so, it's something else in the new design that stopped the leak, not the pinhole, right?

Old 01-10-2021, 08:26 PM
MAD Matt
Drifting

Originally Posted by bluan
Thanks Matt for all the info here! Like everyone else, I'll be looking out for the potential leak. One question though, based on what you said: the slit caused the fluid to overflow through it and caused leak, but the new cap has a pinhole on it, so wouldn't the pressure also push the fluid though the hole as well? If so, it's something else in the new design that stopped the leak, not the pinhole, right?
The slit is extremely large and allows fluid to pass through it. The pin hole is literally so small that the fluid doesn't seem to be able to escape. I've been watching mine and have visually inspected it multiple times since I replaced it. The cap was replaced at about 400 miles and I now have 1300, so in 900 miles and probably close to 100 cycles. I have not found any more puddles of fluid or signs of leakage...yet....I will update this post next time I inspect it. Fingers crossed. To be honest, I didn't look at the new cap to see if they changed the design of it so it has me wondering. I will take a look at it again tomorrow to see where things stand and post up my findings as I am now curious if the inside of the cap differs from the original. Hmmmm???

Last edited by MAD Matt; 01-10-2021 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:05 PM
vanlieremead
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Question though: Why does the fluid come out if it doesn’t reach that level in the reservoir, gravity and all? Is it sloshing about? Would some type of vertical extension work better from the top of the cap? How about dirt ingress?
Old 01-10-2021, 10:35 PM
C7joed
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 53 Posts

FWIW, I'm not so sure that the "Slit" is not what the car came with. I discovered my leak when my car had about 400 miles on it. At first, I thought, maybe, the cap simply wasn't sealed tight enough. I had some .080 gasket material in my tool box and made an additonal gasket to accompany the existing one. The cap then sealed really tight and I completely dried the area with paper towels. I then drove the car and used the lift multiple times and upon return, I still had a pretty good leak. I pulled the cap and discovered fluid had made it's way through the slit and blew out the small channel that is in the cap itself. The cap is designed to allow air pressure to escape as the fluid returns to the resevoir when the lift returns to ride height. I thought the slit was too large and was the reason fluid was escaping. I called my dealer and had them order me a cap as I wanted to see if the "Slit" was suppose to be that size???? When the dealer received the new cap, I took my car over and we compared the new cap with the existing one. While the caps were the same, the new one's diaphram did NOT have a "Slit" but a small "Pin Hole" with what looks like a slightly raised donut circling the hole. My car was actually parked out front of the dealership when I compared the two diaphrams with one of their service writers. They thought the same thing as I and that the slit was causing the fluid leak. I can tell you without a doubt that is/was the issue as the new diaphram took care of things. It's interesting to note that when I ordered my cap, the dealer was showing that none were available. The new cap arrived in less than a week and the parts guy told me that GM was now showing over a hundred in stock???? It could be they re-designed the diaphram knowing this issues and as I have said previously, they will warranty them on a "Repair/Replace as needed basis. Another side note is that when I went in to pick up the new cap, they told me the invoice came in as a "No Charge" and there was no cost to me either. I'm the one that suggested to the service writer that they file a warranty claim as a formality and a way to document my car and the issue it was having. My hope was that eventually a TSB would be issued....wishfull thinking I guess.
I had a leak as well my dealer ordered me a new tank and cap. They said why take a chance change it all. Mine happened around 600 miles. Since the change no more leak
The following users liked this post:
CZS (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 08:07 AM
/Bear/
Drifting

Received 1,530 Likes on 757 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

@MAD Matt Thanks for updating with better photos!

Between this issue and water accumulating in the front shock towers, there are things I'll want to monitor regularly for a while after I first take delivery of my C8. I know some people have accidentally broken tabs off at least one of the three plastic covers while removing them to get into this area, and those parts may not be terribly robust or stand up well to repeated manipulation, so some questions come to mind.

1. Do these covers do anything other than dress up the area behind the frunk?
2. Is there any reason one couldn't drive with the three covers off the car until it's determined that all issues there are resolved?
3. If the Front Lift were operated with the plastic covers removed, could any of the fluid get onto the carpet in the frunk if the cap leaks?

Old 01-11-2021, 08:18 AM
shiumai
Burning Brakes

Received 1,103 Likes on 496 Posts
Modified C8 of the Year 2021 Winner

See answers in bold below:
Originally Posted by /Bear/
@MAD Matt Thanks for updating with better photos!

1. Do these covers do anything other than dress up the area behind the frunk? Not really - they cover up the sides, battery etc.
2. Is there any reason one couldn't drive with the three covers off the car until it's determined that all issues there are resolved? I just discovered my leak this past weekend and am driving with all three covers off.
3. If the Front Lift were operated with the plastic covers removed, could any of the fluid get onto the carpet in the frunk if the cap leaks? No, it drains into the area behind the frunk tub.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Lift System fluid reservoir on passenger side

Old 01-11-2021, 08:25 AM
dhanley
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Default front lift

In response to Bear's questions:
I, as stated to my earlier comments in this thread, have the same leak situation.
I have turned off the automatic lift feature until my replacement cap comes in.
I have removed the plastic covering the reservoir area until I re- install after new cap - this is just an appearance feature - I have been driving the car with it removed and no issues.
Since the fluid leaks downward from under the cap it would seem that it could not spray outward so as to get in the trunk area, probably continue to still leak downward. If anyone with this problem can do without the lift for a few days, just turn the GPS auto function off function off - you can still use it manually if you have to.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:32 AM
jjsaustin
Pro

Received 460 Likes on 205 Posts

I checked my 2021 and it also was starting to leak. I have only used the lift like 4 times since I got the car. I checked the cap and have the slit in the diaphragm just like the previous pics.

They need to put out a recall for this. People won't know it's leaking unless they check or enough fluid leaks and the system is inoperable. By that time there is a huge mess.

Last edited by jjsaustin; 01-11-2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:40 AM
Broken Halo
Melting Slicks

Received 1,737 Likes on 836 Posts

If anybody gets a 'replacement' cap and it still has the slit vs the pinhole, please post. Curious if/when the system gets purged of the leaking diaphragms.

Quick Reply: Front Lift System fluid reservoir on passenger side