Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storage Area

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 12:01 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts
Default Storage Area

I heard a YouTuber state that the storage area in the rear of the C8 gets very hot. Wonder if anyone has placed a thermometer back there to get an idea exactly just how hot this area gets. This would be useful to know.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:11 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,207 Likes on 6,229 Posts

We have driven for hours at a time with a carry on suitcase and other stuff in the trunk. At the end of the day, it was warm to the touch - not hot. Don't put perishables back there, but otherwise it is not an issue.
The following users liked this post:
MMD (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 01:35 PM
NextOne
Melting Slicks

Received 1,046 Likes on 645 Posts

"125-130 degrees after several hours driving with an ambient temperature of 85-86 degrees" was reported in a thread several months ago by another member.
MMD (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 01:40 PM
Trustym
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
I heard a YouTuber state that the storage area in the rear of the C8 gets very hot. Wonder if anyone has placed a thermometer back there to get an idea exactly just how hot this area gets. This would be useful to know.
There are videos of people doing this on youtube. Personally, I don't worry about it, I wouldn't put anything you want kept cold though. My experience after long drives and then immediately checking is that it doesn't really feel any warmer compared to outside.
MMD (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 04:28 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NextOne
"125-130 degrees after several hours driving with an ambient temperature of 85-86 degrees" was reported in a thread several months ago by another member.
Thanks. This is what I asked for. This is good information to know.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:54 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Trustym
There are videos of people doing this on youtube. Personally, I don't worry about it, I wouldn't put anything you want kept cold though. My experience after long drives and then immediately checking is that it doesn't really feel any warmer compared to outside.
It's more important than you may think to be aware of what the temperature is in this area. Many products you buy, if you read the fine print, will indicate not to store above 120 deg F. Three products I use quickly come to mind. My golf bag is loaded with various products. My electronic laser range finder indicates not to store above 120 deg F. Also, I carry in my golf bags various sunscreen lotions and moisturizers. If you leave these products cooking above 120 degrees they will turn into a liquid and be unusable. I know this from experience to be true. Also, I have detailing products like ceramic coatings that I left in a warm 95 deg garage. When it came time to use these Gyeon products they had gone bad and formed solid particles which jad coagulated within the bottle. This turned out to be an expensive mistake on my part and one I learned to start reading the product precautions on the package.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:28 PM
George_L
Burning Brakes

Received 776 Likes on 408 Posts

The temperature was measured here.

Last edited by George_L; 02-03-2021 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:51 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by George_L
The temperature was measured here.
Excellent post and thank you for the link. As I do not own a C8 yet I cannot disassemble a trunk to investigate the trunk compartment design. I would be interested in finding a solution to reduce heat transfer into the trunk compartment. It shouldn't be that difficult to find a solution. Now that I think about this, this problem might be something our Corvette Forum resident insulation expert could make a real impact in solving. What say you Mr Dan (aka @Crazy Cowboy )? You think you can come up with an insulation kit that solves this heating problem in a C8 rear trunk? All you would need is access to a C8.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:00 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 908 Likes on 588 Posts

Maybe wrapping the exhaust would help.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:11 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TxLefty
Maybe wrapping the exhaust would help.
That wouldn't work. That's where everybody stores their ice cream.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:12 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 908 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
That wouldn't work. That's where everybody stores their ice cream.
Got me again.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:24 PM
Trustym
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
It's more important than you may think to be aware of what the temperature is in this area. Many products you buy, if you read the fine print, will indicate not to store above 120 deg F. Three products I use quickly come to mind. My golf bag is loaded with various products. My electronic laser range finder indicates not to store above 120 deg F. Also, I carry in my golf bags various sunscreen lotions and moisturizers. If you leave these products cooking above 120 degrees they will turn into a liquid and be unusable. I know this from experience to be true. Also, I have detailing products like ceramic coatings that I left in a warm 95 deg garage. When it came time to use these Gyeon products they had gone bad and formed solid particles which jad coagulated within the bottle. This turned out to be an expensive mistake on my part and one I learned to start reading the product precautions on the package.
I'm not too worried about it!
Old 02-04-2021, 02:33 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Trustym
I'm not too worried about it!
It's a concern to me. At least you are now aware there is a potential issue here. It would have been wise for GM to put a warning label inside the compartment to let owners know this area can achieve temperatures around 140 degrees F when engine is at operating temperatures.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:46 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,207 Likes on 6,229 Posts

I kept my laptop and iPad in the trunk during our 1,500+ mile road trip. As I said previously, items in the trunk were warm (not hot) to the touch. My iPad gets hotter when it is used for a while than it was after 6-8 hours of driving stored in the trunk. This is non-issue. For those concerned, TKO Performance is selling a insulating product for this: ★ NEW - C8 Ultralite Rear Trunk Heat Shield Kit.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:03 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,387 Likes on 3,495 Posts

Another option is an insulated food delivery bag. I've got one for both the frunk and a larger one for the trunk although I haven't needed to use the larger one yet.
I use my car for grocery shopping and sometimes grocery shopping isn't my last stop. I throw some synthetic ice cubes in the bottom and it will stay cool for hours.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:06 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Directly from Apple product literature.
JerryU (02-05-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 04:37 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,392 Likes on 2,078 Posts

As Zymurgy noted someone is offering insulation.

Please note that the interior of you car may reach 160 degrees in the sun, so your moisturizer may actually burst into flames if you leave it there, or maybe your moisturized skin will set afire when you get in the hot car.

I remember our Toureg had an A/C vent in the glove box, reportedly for putting your wine in there.

Another suggestion, is since there is a 12 volt plug in the frunk you could but one of those small 12v refrigerator coolers that will hold a 6 pack or so. Just don't forget to unplug it when you stop, or you may come out to a dead battery as that outlet is always hot.

Last edited by Racer X; 02-04-2021 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Typo

Get notified of new replies

To Storage Area

Old 02-04-2021, 04:59 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Racer X

Please note that the interior of you car may reach 160 degrees in the sun, so you moisturizer may actually burst into flames if you leave it there, or maybe your moisturized skin will set afire when you get in the hot car.

I remember our Toureg had an A/C vent in the glove box, reportedly for putting your wine in there.

Another suggestion, is since there is a 12 volt plug in the frunk you could but one of those small 12v refrigerator coolers that will hold a 6 pack or so. Just don't forget to unplug it when you stop, or you may come out to a dead battery as that outlet is always hot.
I'll have to get me some 120 degree moisturizer. My skin normally catches fire at 150 degrees.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:20 PM
JTBogus
Burning Brakes

Received 384 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X

Please note that the interior of you car may reach 160 degrees in the sun, so your moisturizer may actually burst into flames if you leave it there, or maybe your moisturized skin will set afire when you get in the hot car.

I tried that 12v piezio cooled refers in the frunk. Not enough cooling air or airflow around it to keep it cooling. When I opened the frunk after about an hour, warm air came out! Of course if you started with some dry ice or ice packs in it, the interior would probably stay cool & when you are stopped then use the piezio feature with the frunk hood cracked. I'll try that as soon as the snow around here melts!
Old 02-05-2021, 01:32 AM
Jeff Eikenberry
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I got 141 on an industrial thermometer. Had just autocrossed, open the trunk, saw the thermometer and went to grab it. Too hot to pick it up. This was last summer, and my memory may be off. If it is, then the temp was 151.
MMD (02-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Storage Area