Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another C8 casualty.....lift fail.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 04:37 PM
RPederson
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Move the CG forward temporarily???

Maybe putting 150 pounds of sand bags in the frunk would give you a little insurance.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:38 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,723 Likes on 6,697 Posts

^^^^
If they lift outside the frame that 150 lbs does nothing! Also 150 lbs in the Frunk does little for a 60% rear 40% front weight 3600 lb car.

Use lift pads placed in the GM designated frame oval slots and no issues!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-11-2021 at 07:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
grinder11 (03-12-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 08:04 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 9,011 Likes on 4,335 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by macguyver
If you look @ the shop in the photo- does not look like a Chevrolet dealership
Very obvious its a private auto repair business & if thats the case, then SHAME ON THE OWNER for not taking it to the dealer
Execept the 1st one reported that fell of the lift was at a Chevy dealership. The first, and only time I have taken my car to any type of auto business was to have the Xpel installed. Got a call later that day "uh is your front splitter oem or aftermarket?" And this is a shop that does a lot of high-end, expensive sports cars. The manager wasn't happy to find out the oem carbon fiber splitter from GM was over $1,800 plus paint. I don't take my car to the tire shop, I take the wheels off at home and bring them in - oh wait, but the guy came out, "uh did your wheel have a gouge out of it by the valve stem?" After they repaired the wheel, the tire slowly loses air, so I need to go back to Discount Tire and find out what they're going to do. The best solution is to learn how to perform maintenance and repairs yourself.

Last edited by JABCAT; 03-11-2021 at 08:05 PM.
jimmies63 (03-25-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 08:23 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^

I'm similar and no one lifts my Vettes without using the jack pads I bring and I watched from an open service bay! Just had a nail in my C8 tire. It was near the side wall and have "insurance from Discount Tire." Got a free $400 rear tire. When they called and said the tire ordered on a Monday was in on Wednesday, brought the tire and wheel to them. Told the manager I would wait for their best tech who has done, low profile, wide run flats but wanted zero rim marks and there would be a large tip.

When the ~30 year old tech look the wheel/tire from my wife's SUV I told him there would be a $20 tip if there were zero marks on my rims! He looked carefully to be sure there were none. Watched from the open bay as he put on the new tire. He used and interesting approach to get the new tire to seat I had not seen in my 5 previous Vette flats I had fixed. He called two other techs over and they spaced themselves around the tire and pressed in as he filled with air! Worked, snapped in place on that wide rim.

Job was perfect and he got the $20! Have to put in effort to have it done right!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-11-2021 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:23 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 859 Likes on 670 Posts

Hm, I think this just convinced me to go with a 4 post lift.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:53 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,673 Likes on 4,335 Posts

The owner posted on another website that this was not at a dealer, that he was having an aftermarket exhaust installed, and that the shop was writing him a check for the full value. Whether that means MSRP or over, no idea.

He actually sounded pretty chill over the whole thing.

Last edited by Red Mist Rulz; 03-12-2021 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:49 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,607 Likes on 2,557 Posts

Originally Posted by /Bear/
Hopefully, not a Chevy dealership because they should all know better!
But a LOT of them don't know nearly as much as they should.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:57 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Originally Posted by Phil1098
It's because physics are physics and that lift (length of arms and vehicle weight distribution) is based on a front engine and transmission car. If the C8 had been backed into the spot and lifted it would not have been an issue. When you take a lift designed for the majority of the weight being in the front and then load a machine with the majority of it's weight in the rear, bad things happen.
I'm not sure I'm following your thoughts here. My 2 post lift has all 4 arms equal size, and lift is mounted square to cement floor. It's not an asymmetric lift, but I believe those are pretty much the same, they just allow for the car or truck to be mounted in front of, or in back of the two main uprights....
Old 03-12-2021, 05:11 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Yep, symmetrical, asymmetrical arms, can all work IF you lift on the frame! However it's not easy to see the GM oval slots. Doubt many techs will do what I do to place my Jack Pads. Have my head on the garage floor.

Even Chuck at Rick Conti (who is very knowledgeable) just reaches under to place his Jack Arm Pads. Yep he's good enough BUT many techs are not. Very easy to put their lift arm pads outside the frame as the oval frame slot ~8+ inches in from the body! I reviewed with the great Corvette Tech who did my PDF's and alignment. He agreed using lift pads that contact the lift arm pads assures you're lifting where GM specifies on the frame!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-12-2021 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:18 PM
ChiTownVetteTech
Instructor

Received 242 Likes on 103 Posts

Personally I use 2 hockey pucks. Give me the clearance I need to remove the under trays. If I was removing any major components I’d use only one so it’s not space so high. I try to lift all the Corvettes on my asymmetric lift just because door clearance is so much better.
Unfortunately there are a lot of slugs out there posing as technicians. It’s why I preach to get to know your tech. I like meeting all my customers.

Last edited by ChiTownVetteTech; 03-12-2021 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:50 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 390 Likes on 169 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

As Jerry said above. It makes NO difference if you use a sym lift or an asy. lift. If you use the correct lifting points the arms can be to the front, to the rear or straight in and the car will not fall off the lift. If you have it really *** backwards the lift may fail (cheap lift) or the lift may come loose from the concrete it is mounted to but the car will only fall off if the lift fails. You can put a lot of undue stress on the lift by not having the car properly positioned but it will not fall off if you use the correct lifting points.

Be safe out there.
RKCRLR (03-13-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 09:48 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

Hello, Mr. Smith? About your C8, yeah, we had an issue. Funniest thing happened, it seems our tech lifted it in the wrong place and yeah, that was bad. Anyhoo, the car fell off the lift and suffered some damage. We’re looking into making the needed repairs, at our cost of course. So yeah, I’m really sorry about this. I’ll get back to ya soon as I can Mr. Smith. Oh, I need the Kia loaner back by closing time tonight, I have another customer taking it first thing in the AM don’t ya know. Well, have a good night sir.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:31 AM
grinder11
Race Director

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^
Yep, symmetrical, asymmetrical arms, can all work IF you lift on the frame! However it's not easy to see the GM oval slots. Doubt many techs will do what I do to place my Jack Pads. Have my head on the garage floor.

Even Chuck at Rick Conti (who is very knowledgeable) just reaches under to place his Jack Arm Pads. Yep he's good enough BUT many techs are not. Very easy to put their lift arm pads outside the frame as the oval frame slot ~8+ inches in from the body! I reviewed with the great Corvette Tech who did my PDF's and alignment. He agreed using lift pads that contact the lift arm pads assures you're lifting where GM specifies on the frame!

Totally understand both types of lifts. My point was concerning Phil98s post about backing into the lift area vs driving forward into it. I don't see what difference it would make....
Old 03-13-2021, 10:20 AM
grinder11
Race Director

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^

Totally understand both types of lifts. My point was concerning Phil98s post about backing into the lift area vs driving forward into it. I don't see what difference it would make....
Old 03-13-2021, 11:07 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 859 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by grinder11
Weight distribution would be my guess.
Safety first.

https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/A...Two-Post-Lifts

Last edited by caskiguy; 03-13-2021 at 11:10 AM. Reason: add content
Old 03-25-2021, 10:44 AM
jimmies63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14,'17, '20-'21

Originally Posted by Majestic94
As a former Jacksonville resident, this 100% doesn’t surprise me. The entire city has the world’s most incompetent dealers.
I’ve been using Fields Porsche for years and they are one of the best dealerships for any brand i have ever used! Not every JAX dealer is bad!

Quick Reply: Another C8 casualty.....lift fail.