Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rearview mirror question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 02:57 PM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 414 Likes on 190 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Default Rearview mirror question

When I glance at the rearview mirror when it is in camera mode, it takes my eyes a couple of seconds to focus. This does not happen in normal mode. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 07-29-2021, 03:07 PM
Spamburger_Hamburger
Burning Brakes

Received 1,674 Likes on 569 Posts

It's because your focus has to go from something down the road to very close to your face when you look at the mirror in camera mode. When it's a normal mirror, you eyes focus on something behind you so it's not as big of an adjustment. It's never bothered me, but some people might have more trouble changing focus than others.
The following users liked this post:
Ron_Attleboro_MA (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 03:08 PM
WardNH
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by 2vette2
When I glance at the rearview mirror when it is in camera mode, it takes my eyes a couple of seconds to focus. This does not happen in normal mode. Anyone else have this issue?
Yes. I don't like the camera mode for that reason. I have a convertible and never drive with the top up, so it is a non issue for me. But even if it were available, I wouldn't use it.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:11 PM
davidredburn
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Same issue but I just skip the camera and keep it in the normal mirror mode. I wear multi focal
contacts and blame those rather than my age. My 18 year old daughter prefers using the camera mode when she has driven the car.
Ron_Attleboro_MA (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 03:17 PM
/Bear/
Drifting

Received 1,588 Likes on 785 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

When I first got my C8, the mirror was adjusted in a weird way, and it was hard for my eyes to make the transition to camera mode. I'm not sure now how it was set, but since I adjusted it properly, it's been much easier to use.

You may want to try switching modes and then adjusting the mirror to see if you can find a better combination.

Tin-can (08-04-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 03:40 PM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I didn't know if that feeling about focus was just me, and I was thinking about posting the same question. So thank you for asking. The regular mirror is so poor versus what I'm used to for a review mirror, that I have tried the camera mode.
In addition to the focus issue the distance perspective in the camera mode is very different. Thing seem twice as far away as they really are. Do you also have that sense about camera mode?
Old 07-29-2021, 03:58 PM
kenrobb
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 86 Posts

I noticed this on our first trip in HTC. I wear progressive lens so that makes me have to tilt my hear a bit when I look at the mirror. But after a while I really like the view it gives me. A lot better than guessing what is behind or beside me. I think it is pretty neat to have. May not be in focus at times but I can still see what is there. I talked to some pilots about this camera and they said they can't wear progressive lens in a cockpit as they want to just shift their eyes and not their hear to look at things up above them. Makes sense.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:28 PM
smbsocal
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

It takes me a while to focus on it as well. The rear view camera seemed like a nice feature to me but in real world use it isn't nearly as good as a normal rear view mirror due to lower resolution (duh), focus issues, less zoom, glare and ghost images.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:45 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,134 Likes on 764 Posts

Salesman said most people get accustom to the Rearview Camera after 2-3 weeks. I've had my car 2 weeks and the view is still out of focus.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:46 PM
hawk02
Drifting

Received 1,572 Likes on 625 Posts

I have the rearview mirror camera in my Blazer and Corvette. I use the rearview mirror camera every chance I get. It really gives you a view of exactly what is behind the vehicle.

Yes, it does take a second or two for your eyes to adjust when you switch from the regular rearview mirror to the camera view.

I really miss the rearview camera when I have the top down on my Corvette. Because of the design of the convertible, you only see the top half of cars in the rearview mirror. The camera gives you a panorama of what is behind you. I really wish the engineers could have devised a way to make it rearview mirror camera active when the top is down.
Harry2 (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 04:49 PM
done deal
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 3GenVettes
I didn't know if that feeling about focus was just me, and I was thinking about posting the same question. So thank you for asking. The regular mirror is so poor versus what I'm used to for a review mirror, that I have tried the camera mode.
In addition to the focus issue the distance perspective in the camera mode is very different. Thing seem twice as far away as they really are. Do you also have that sense about camera mode?

This is the issue I have the most problem with and have not found any setting that eliminates the distance issue . I can tell something is behind me however do feel comfortable judging the actual distance nor can I make out what kind of car is behind me at any distance except someone that is extremely close
Hopefully someone has found a solution because the sideview mirrors can not pick up something directly behind you because of the shape of the body. After 3 months I'm use to the change in focus required however the distance is no better then the first day .
Old 07-29-2021, 04:49 PM
JScottH3
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

I have tri-focal glasses, and I have to look at the mirror through the reading part of the lens. Drives me crazy. I generally don’t use it. If you have your side mirrors set to view the blind spot instead of down the side of the car, everything should be fine.
boohorn (08-01-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 04:55 PM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Received 809 Likes on 164 Posts

I love it! This is one of my favorite features. Between this and the blind spot warnings, I have never had a Vette with such great visibility.
The following 3 users liked this post by gwalsh88:
Gator1969 (07-29-2021), Italianfox (07-29-2021), Salmon057 (07-30-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 04:58 PM
TexasMark
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 97 Posts

I found it hard to adjust at first, but after a while, during a drive, my brain seemed to get used to it.

With the HTC you can only use it with the top up, which begs the question: can the brain get used to both near and far focus of the rear view mirror?
Maybe in a year I'll have an answer.
ZL-1 (07-30-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 05:08 PM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 414 Likes on 190 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Thanks guys. Glad to know it's not just me.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:09 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,747 Likes on 6,713 Posts

When I first got my C8, September 2020, had an issue and thought it was my glasses progressive lenses I have worn for 35 years. They are perfectly clear in the center but a bit blurry on the sides. You have to get used to turning your head. That becomes totally automatic. BUT found the real issue. I was looking at it as if it were a real mirror. When I fliped the lever could see thorough the rear (although view is limited!) BUT then tilted the "TV Camera Mirror" as if it was a TV and I look at it at a 90 degree angle. An easy way to describe it is IF I flip the level and make it a "real mirror" I see myself!

Been perfect for a year. In fact I have it set with a wide view much like the convex passenger side mirror. Yep as that side mirror states (and the Meat Loaf Song) "Objects in the TV Mirror are closer than they appear!" Frankly it's so good I find I'm using the side mirrors less- NO NEED. I can see the cars coming up fast on the lanes either side of me who will soon be in my blind spot! IMO best thing since sliced bread! Helps me keep my 60 driving record of not having an accident with another car!

Try it and see if it's not better. Yep in a vert, understand with the top down you have to use the real mirror and view is fine. With the wife's SUV, which I drive often, I have to adjust the center mirror when I get in! No big deal!

PS: When I got my C8 Coupe I tried using the "real mirror." Rear visibility was worse than my C7 Z51 and Grand Sport (which had a limited view of the rear as the Stage 2 Aero option had side extensions on the spoiler.". Made the rear view almost as bad as a rag top Vette!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-29-2021 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:10 PM
WalterSobchak
Safety Car

Received 2,902 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Took two hours to get used to. Then it was normal.

Get notified of new replies

To Rearview mirror question

Old 07-29-2021, 05:16 PM
johnnycat500
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 94 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

On my drive home from delivery, had a hard time focusing and glare from the back window [coupe]. The mirror was zoomed all the way in and tilted upward. Fixed for me by zooming all the way out and tilting downward. Went on my first road trip today [195 miles] and getting use to it. It will take a little bit to adjust.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:27 PM
Green Streaker
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

I have the same problem when wearing progressive glasses. But I like it without my glasses. After cataract surgery, I no longer need to wear my glasses to drive.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:53 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,747 Likes on 6,713 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnycat500
On my drive home from delivery, had a hard time focusing and glare from the back window [coupe]. The mirror was zoomed all the way in and tilted upward. Fixed for me by zooming all the way out and tilting downward. Went on my first road trip today [195 miles] and getting use to it. It will take a little bit to adjust.
Try my suggestion that has worked for me for a year- flip the lever to a "real mirror" and adjust it to see yourself! Works for me with progressive transition glasses.

PS: Although I need little correction for distance I wear my glasses from when I get up until I go to bed. In the Sunny South they make great sun glasses and are perfectly clear indoors.. Wife had cataract surgery and instead of a few pairs of progressive transition glasses (for different frames) now has at least 4 pairs of prescription reading glasses and about 5 pairs of sun glasses! I thought my $1200 frameless, progressive, transition, glasses were expensive but no match for what she has invested!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-29-2021 at 05:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Rearview mirror question