Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 HTC Clear Engine Bay Covers are HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 11:01 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,307 Likes on 3,463 Posts

Originally Posted by American Hydrocarbon
That warranty only addresses the clear cover, it does not address any damage to the car. It specifically says:

EXCEPT WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW, RAPIDREV DISCLAIMS AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL BE LIABLE FOR SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES RESULTING FROM THE USE, MISUSE, OR INABILITY TO USE THE PRODUCT AS WELL AS ANY BREACHES OF THIS WARRANTY OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY REGARDLESS OF THE CAUSE AND EVEN IF THE CLAIMED DAMAGES OR LOSSES WERE CAUSED BY A WARRANTABLE DEFECT.

In no event shall RAPIDREV ’s liability exceed the selling price for the PRODUCT.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:09 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,331 Posts

You can see the engine "simply" by removing the existing cover and driving around that way. But we don't, because the cover serves some very important, non-cosmetic, functions:
1. Seals the engine bay from the space above it, which shares air with the cabin.
2. The engine bay is somewhat exposed to the element, and will get dirty, have water spots, etc - the cover keeps the retracted top and headliner from being exposed to that.
3. The cover provides some sound reduction.
4. The cover protects the retracted top and headliner from excess heat from the engine bay. (if you look up the purpose of the insulating pads found under the hoods of other cars, many of the description say they provide both sound deadening, as well as "dissipation of heat" .

Not everyone is interested in seeing the engine bay. But some of us are (I would like to be able to see mine easily, though not for the purpose of showing it). However, those of us that are interested have some legitimate questions about how well the clear cover will perform the above functions, and how long it will last doing so. Thank you for passing along the information that the manufacturer provided to you - its obvious you made an attempt to get the questions answered. I agree that if there are further questions about the "data" provide to you, that the manufacturer should be contacted.,

Last edited by Andybump; 06-22-2022 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:13 AM
GarryL
Burning Brakes

Received 897 Likes on 310 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
I’m curious, given the obvious heat factors of the engine compartment why did you chose to use a thermoplastic instead of a thermoset?
^^^ Thermoset materials are not clear!
Old 06-22-2022, 11:23 AM
GarryL
Burning Brakes

Received 897 Likes on 310 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified

Once again, I feel it prudent to post this because people keep asking...... A clear cover would be pretty neat, but I don't have high hopes for it, especially directly above the Cats and Pipes!

"
As a retired tooling & plastics engineer, I would want to see some very thorough test results, especially in some of the hotter climates.

Polycarbonate has a tg (glass transition temperature) of 147c or 297f where it starts to soften gradually above it's tg and starts to flow at about 155c or 311f

I saw on another forum where they were claiming the manufacture of these said clear PC covers were rated to 500f. I would like to understand how they are rating a PC to 500f when that is significantly above the glass transition temperature of this polymer. FYI, the working temperature of PC is from -40f to 266f so no problems on the lower end but the upper end spec?, I bet those Cats and Pipes are generating some extreme temps, hence why the GM engineers designed in the heat shielding.

My $.02 cents for what it's worth!

Cheers,

-Gaz"
The following users liked this post:
Warp Ten (06-23-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 11:41 AM
Rapid Z
Safety Car

Received 3,708 Likes on 1,536 Posts

The clear cover is awesome love love love mine. Well worth the money spent. Love looking in at my engine. And nothing has blown up, melted, turned yellow or caught on fire in the 100 degree Chicago heat, Imagine that. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited by Rapid Z; 06-22-2022 at 11:59 AM.
oregonsharkman (06-22-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 10:52 PM
CarsGrilling

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rapid Rev clear c8 htc review

I just posted a review of this on YouTube

The following 4 users liked this post by CarsGrilling:
Big Lebowski (06-23-2022), INTIMIDAT3R (04-06-2023), McClendons (06-23-2022), R23HTC (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 09:09 AM
American Hydrocarbon
Team Owner

Received 1,346 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by CarsGrilling
I just posted a review of this on YouTube

https://youtu.be/GZfbUDLUg_k
I think this says it all. Good job on the testing.
INTIMIDAT3R (04-06-2023)
Old 06-23-2022, 09:29 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

That's a pretty good video. Does it address the concern that radiant heat might pass through the clear panel and heat the headliner directly? Maybe. I see he measured the surface temp of the headliner, at 14:14 but it was with the top up. I wish he had included a measure of the headliner surface temp after his ride with the top down (did I miss that?). This also raised a question for me. What temperature is being measured when the IR thermometer is pointed at the clear panel? Is it the surface temp of the clear panel, or the surface temp of the engine surface beneath? That is, does the IR radiation pass through the clear panel? So ... I looked this up, and found some sources that say it measures the surface temperature of the clear surface, not what is beyond it. I checked this myself - using a light bulb and my polycarbonate lenses. It's true. The lens is at room temp which was about 75 deg. The light bulb reading was over 200, maybe 230 or so. With the polycarbonate lens between the bulb and the thermometer, the measurement was about 79 deg, just little higher. So....to me that means that most of the IR radiation must be stopped by the polycarbonate lens. Visible light passes through, but not IR. If that is right, it would be good news for this product.

Last edited by Andybump; 06-23-2022 at 09:44 AM.
Big Lebowski (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 12:36 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Andybump
That is, does the IR radiation pass through the clear panel? So ... I looked this up, and found some sources that say it measures the surface temperature of the clear surface, not what is beyond it. I checked this myself - using a light bulb and my polycarbonate lenses. It's true. The lens is at room temp which was about 75 deg. The light bulb reading was over 200, maybe 230 or so. With the polycarbonate lens between the bulb and the thermometer, the measurement was about 79 deg, just little higher. So....to me that means that most of the IR radiation must be stopped by the polycarbonate lens. Visible light passes through, but not IR. If that is right, it would be good news for this product.
If the IR radiation was being reflected by the polycarbonate then the surface wouldn't get hot.
If the IR radiation was being allowed to pass through the polycarbamate then the surface wouldn't get hot.
If the IR radiation was being absorbed by the polycarbonate then the surface would get hot.

I don't think polycarbonate has IR reflective properties so your test indicates that polycarbonate is allowing the IR spectrum to get through. You could try putting some black tape or something on the polycarbonate to see if it gets hotter.

Normally clear untreated glass and plastics allow IR radiation to pass through. Think of how you can feel sunlight through a window or heat through a woodstove or fireplace with a glass door.
Old 06-23-2022, 12:55 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
If the IR radiation was being reflected by the polycarbonate then the surface wouldn't get hot.
If the IR radiation was being allowed to pass through the polycarbamate then the surface wouldn't get hot.
If the IR radiation was being absorbed by the polycarbonate then the surface would get hot.

I don't think polycarbonate has IR reflective properties so your test indicates that polycarbonate is allowing the IR spectrum to get through. You could try putting some black tape or something on the polycarbonate to see if it gets hotter.

Normally clear untreated glass and plastics allow IR radiation to pass through. Think of how you can feel sunlight through a window or heat through a woodstove or fireplace with a glass door.
Yes, that is what I thought - that these materials allow IR to pass through them. I'm just confused by why an IR thermometer, which I thought measured IR radiation somehow, would measure the surface temperature of an object that is "IR transparent". Why would it not instead measure the temperature of what is behind it? I have look up the IR transmissivity of polycarbonate and it seems its is pretty high - meaning wavelengths in the IR spectrum should pass through it. So why doesn't an IR thermometer see right through it? I also tried it with glass - it sees the temp of the glass, not the bulb behind it. Tried with cellophane - it does see through that and measure temperature of the bulb behind. To remain on topic, I like this product, but I'm just trying to determine if the headliner can be heated by IR radiation that passes through the clear panel. I believe this could be tested just by running with the top down, then measuring the surface temp of the headliner after the run - at least as a rough idea. The guy in the video did measure headliner temp, but he he says it was after running with the top up (I wonder if up meant down?). He did measure 124 degrees which seemed odd.

I l

Old 06-23-2022, 01:17 PM
dhanley
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Here in Tampa Florida it was 96 degrees yesterday or 30 degrees hotter than the stated ambient temperature at the video test location, I have to think that the resulting test temps would possibly be higher at 96 degrees than at 66 degrees? I have the Z51 option - extra radiator - but letting my HTC sit and idle on a very hot day here raises the engine temp significantly. I really like the idea of the clear engine cover and may well order one but as hot as it gets here I still have concerns.
Old 06-23-2022, 02:26 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Andybump
Yes, that is what I thought - that these materials allow IR to pass through them. I'm just confused by why an IR thermometer, which I thought measured IR radiation somehow, would measure the surface temperature of an object that is "IR transparent". Why would it not instead measure the temperature of what is behind it? I have look up the IR transmissivity of polycarbonate and it seems its is pretty high - meaning wavelengths in the IR spectrum should pass through it. So why doesn't an IR thermometer see right through it? I also tried it with glass - it sees the temp of the glass, not the bulb behind it. Tried with cellophane - it does see through that and measure temperature of the bulb behind. To remain on topic, I like this product, but I'm just trying to determine if the headliner can be heated by IR radiation that passes through the clear panel. I believe this could be tested just by running with the top down, then measuring the surface temp of the headliner after the run - at least as a rough idea. The guy in the video did measure headliner temp, but he he says it was after running with the top up (I wonder if up meant down?). He did measure 124 degrees which seemed odd.

I l
@CarsGrilling appears to be into BBQ and grilling. I have a couple of temperature monitors for grilling with a probe and separate digital receiver, and I bet he does too.
A better test would be to attach a temperature probe to the headliner to monitor the temperature and do a comparison while driving around with both the OEM cover and polycarbonate cover installed.
The following 2 users liked this post by RKCRLR:
Andybump (06-24-2022), chevyvette1 (06-26-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 02:45 PM
DragonDeity
Cruising
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

That YouTube video was filmed over several days. The outside temperature was stated to be 66 degrees at start of video. Then outside temperature was 85 degrees and then on final day of testing outside temperature was stated to be 92 degrees.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:44 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,672 Likes on 4,335 Posts

Originally Posted by American Hydrocarbon
You know exactly what I was saying. Sometimes the members are over the top with the tech questions.
Most of the time members have legitimate reasons to ask questions before putting aftermarket parts on their car. You come across as arrogant and dismissive.
The following 2 users liked this post by Red Mist Rulz:
Big Lebowski (06-23-2022), MIW RT (06-24-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 04:47 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,672 Likes on 4,335 Posts

Originally Posted by C8Smurf
The clear cover is awesome love love love mine. Well worth the money spent. Love looking in at my engine. And nothing has blown up, melted, turned yellow or caught on fire in the 100 degree Chicago heat, Imagine that. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Let us know what your headliner looks like in 2 or 3 years.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:00 PM
MarkMeHopeful
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,627 Likes on 885 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Paragon just announced this product too. Same price, probably the same vendor. Looks like we'll start collecting a body of information soon.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:14 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MarkMeHopeful
Paragon just announced this product too. Same price, probably the same vendor. Looks like we'll start collecting a body of information soon.
I'm waiting for someone to do a HPDE event on a hot day with a cover installed.
Warp Ten (06-23-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To C8 HTC Clear Engine Bay Covers are HERE!

Old 06-23-2022, 07:50 PM
ArmyDoctor
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

I purchased this, was concerned about heat escape so I added a rubber seal on the edges. I will post pics soon, but from the first glance, I was NOT happy with this..

The holes do not line up perfectly, because of this, screwing in the OEM screws places stress in certain areas, causing it to bow, and release heat from the engine compartment., I will try to remove the screws, place on top perfectly and drill new holes and reinstall. If it continues to bow, I will be returning it back to stock and throwing this in the dumpster..

INTIMIDAT3R (04-06-2023)
Old 06-23-2022, 07:52 PM
Warp Ten
Drifting

Received 598 Likes on 350 Posts

Good Video,, Thanks for the info. When I did my Temp test on the top of the black engine bay cover, I took measurement after I shut the engine off and waited 15 min to get max heat soak. My readings were in the 130F range in the location where the silver heat insulation is located. I suspect the fans for the engine bay will blow cooler air under the cover, but they do shut down when the engine is off.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:58 PM
American Hydrocarbon
Team Owner

Received 1,346 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOMrulz
Most of the time members have legitimate reasons to ask questions before putting aftermarket parts on their car. You come across as arrogant and dismissive.
I apologize if I came across that way. As a Corvette owner I understand exactly about all the questions about aftermarket parts.
Andybump (06-24-2022)

Quick Reply: C8 HTC Clear Engine Bay Covers are HERE!