Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Per GM change your Transmission filter at 7500 miles even if you had it changed early

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 01:51 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,200 Likes on 3,401 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
They said "Anyone who changes it early you still must change the filter at the 7500 mile mark."

I don't know anywhere someone said if you change it at 5k miles it counts as the 7.5k mile change.
Using that strict definition means if you changed it at 7000 miles you should change it again at 7500 miles.
Old 08-26-2022, 01:56 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,822 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I will guess that within 10% is the desired window, or would be if they stated one - you probably already know why I guessed that. I believe, but not sure, that the change oil soon message appears when the oil life is at or below 10%. And the manuals also mentions checking and changing things if the monitor within 10%. So, if 10% is the window, 6750-8250. It doesn't help those who did it at 6000 even though that sounds like its late enough as well. But, no matter what window they gave (say they said 5000 was enough), someone would say ok then 4900 is enough too. Like some others, I think that the second one is supposed to be at 22500, not 7500+22500 - but I agree that is subject to verification. I think that because the original mileage tables in the 2020-2022 manuals implies at 7500 and at 22500. The table are deleted from the 2023 manual, and the wording is, in my opinion, a bit ambiguous (it says every 22500, which seems to imply an interval rather than a mileage value). As observed in a post above, we will need to see what the new filter life monitor does. I will add though, that since the manual states it is impossible to correctly set the trans filter life monitor if it is accidentally reset, it seem to imply that the monitor will use more than mileage. I wonder if it will lengthen or shorten w.r.t 22500? (I am assuming that the trans filter life monitor can be set to any value if one had a scan tool, because in the 2020 service manual, it indicates that the oil life monitor value can be set to any value.)
Old 08-26-2022, 01:59 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,543 Likes on 4,277 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Yes, last year they said to have it done sooner to get the debris off the internal contacts. I guess a few hundred $ of customer's' money doesn't mean much to him.

Get it in writing that it is required for warranty.
Not what I heard at Carlisle last year. What they said then was if you change it early, change it again at 7500, because break-in wear components continue to accumulate during that period.
The following users liked this post:
Fast Dawg (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 01:59 PM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Received 2,352 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
Using that strict definition means if you changed it at 7000 miles you should change it again at 7500 miles.
Again, there's a grace period for all services. I
Old 08-26-2022, 02:02 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,543 Likes on 4,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Dawg
I appreciate this thread because it answered my question but it brought up another question. I’ll be hitting the one year mark of ownership in a couple of weeks and my oil life monitor reflects that. It’s time to change the oil. I was debating putting off my free oil/DCT filter change until I hit 7500 miles because I’ve only got 4100 miles on it now.

Would it be less expensive to change the oil only in a couple of weeks at my one year mark and then get my free oil/DCT filter change when I hit 7500 miles sometimes next year?
Yes. The DCT filter change would cost you at least a couple of hundred bucks if you pay for it yourself. So pay for the "inexpensive" oil change now, and then let GM pay for another oil change & DCT service at 7500 miles (or 2 years, whichever comes first).

Originally Posted by AORoads
Will you still get the "free trans oil" at the second year?
Yes, but....

GM pays for one (1) free service within the first two years, only. If you use the free one in the first year for a free oil change, then the trans filter change is on your dime. So if you have a low mileage C8, it makes sense to pay for the first oil change at one year yourself, and save the freebie for the 2nd oil change / DCT filter change.

Last edited by Red Mist Rulz; 08-26-2022 at 02:11 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Red Mist Rulz:
Fast Dawg (08-26-2022), GarryL (08-27-2022), Ghost 23 (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 02:06 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Again, there's a grace period for all services. I
Perhaps, but where is that grace period documented?
Old 08-26-2022, 02:13 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,647 Likes on 6,646 Posts

Originally Posted by Andybump
I agree that technically, and literally interpreted, the manual does indeed say change it at 7500 miles. But I also agree a little clarification would not hurt. When I did have mine changed at 1 year and 2500 the service writer at Criswell, Gaithersburg, encouraged me to get just an oil change at my expense, and to wait and have the oil change and trans filter replacement done closer to 7500 miles. I started to interrupt her to tell her "I know all that", and she said, "wait, let me finish my spiel." I bring this up not to be negative, at all, but to me "finishing the spiel" suggested that she had some specific guidance from somewhere to recommend this to customers. I recall at least one other instance where someone posted that the dealer advised them to get just an oil change and get the free, engine oil and tans filter replacement later closer to 7500 miles. (not to be confused with cases where the dealer refused to change it early under the free service).

Thinking about it, this would be the best general advice under the assumption that GM did not want to recommend an earlier change. Those that do encounter a debris caused issue before 7500 miles get flush and filter replacement anyway - which sometimes solves the problem.
The problem is he didn't define how far you can vary from the 7500 mile point. It isn't 7500 miles exactly. Is 7499 to soon and 7501 too late? Of course not. How about 7400 and 7600. Highly likely still fine. The presenter said the problem was people changing the filter a "lot" earlier and used an example of 3000 miles. So is changing it at 4000 miles still a "lot" earlier? It is up to interpretation.

GM should send a TSB to its dealers defining the recommended window for changing the DCT filter. If it is changed at an earlier mileage than what is in the window then it should be changed again within the window.
As Andy noted above: Yep the early GM advice when they moved to 2 years, was you could wait until year 2 to change the DCT filter. BTW early info did NOT say a flush was required!

IMO things have changed and the DCT is much more in need of an early change than engine oil, which in the 1960's, '70's, '80's, '90s and 2000's I did (smarter now!)

You can interpret this recent statement as you wish from a fellow who went to a C8 Maintenace Seminar at a recent Bash in BG. BTW it was after the Carlisle rep said must change again at 7500 miles IF you change early. Perhaps smart to do both!

In a recent post sdcnews stated: "I went to a maintenance seminar at the NCM Bash Guy said it was very important to change the tranny filer at the first service which is free." Check out post # 9 for his post on this Thread:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...change-c8.html

I interpret that as GM, observing issues with DCT's now thinks it's a good precaution to have the DCT filter and flush done early. You can wait for a bulletin of a change or the manual fix. It will come like the recent comment from Harlan Charles that there is no need to drill a 3" hole in a 2023 without a key safety release, just use a slim jim! That may occur in a year or two, if ever! My experience is GM does not like to "correct" what they have in print!

I just had my 2nd year oil change (which I paid for) and talked with the super Corvette Tech who changed my engine oil/filer and DCT filter with flush last August. He never told me to wait until year 2, which IMO, considering the issues with DCT's dealers is not smart. GM tells dealers to performance a flush to solve a CEL trip, and that solved the issue for many. I based my last year decision to have both done on GM's dime decision partly on those posts. IN ADDTION knowing next year (36 months) I need all the DCT fluid changed.

I told the Tech my plan was to have him change the DCT filter again. In my case I put on 3500 miles year one, this year I had ~7000 miles and next year will have ~7000 miles on my 1st year filter and 10,000 on my C8. BTW I have not had a DCT CEL or any issue.

IMO (we're all entitled to have them; this is mine) smart to change the DCT filter with the required flush twice (year 1 and year 3) even with low miles considering the issues some have had with DCT's.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-26-2022 at 02:39 PM.
jay21 (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 02:49 PM
jay21
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

What I found fascinating is that he said the transmission is fully broke in at 7500 miles. I have never heard that. In light of the issues that have up come with these transmissions is food for thought for me. All failed transmissions that I have read about failed in less than 7500 miles. Maybe some were after but I have yet to read about one.
I for one did not drive the car until the oil was warmed up, especially during the first 1500 miles. I still warm the oil up before taking it to the road. I have wondered what, if anything, happens to the transmissions when the car is started, the oil is cold and the car is immediately driven off sometimes in a spirited manner and it is not given a chance to warm up.
I have watched my oil temp as compared to the transmission fluid temp, they are close but the transmission oil, at least in mine, is usually a bit cooler. Not that what I did helped in any way but I bet it did not hurt.
That statement, about being fully broke in until 7500 miles, is really food for thought, at least for me.
Just my opinion.
Old 08-26-2022, 02:57 PM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Perhaps, but where is that grace period documented?
Its a good question.

Its a separate issue from doing additional services.

But yeah i agree for those folks who have difficulty getting their services done according to the book it makes sense for them to reach out to the GM chatline to get in writing what the acceptable grace period is.
Old 08-26-2022, 02:57 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,530 Likes on 1,608 Posts

I watch my coolant temp and never put my C8 in drive/reverse until it reaches 100 degrees. I do that because when I picked up my very modified C6 at Vengeance Racing in January 2020 they told me to do that in that car or any high performance vehicle. 100 degrees supposedly is a mark where all fluids have warmed up properly. I'm no mechanic but that sounded like good advice and I adhere to it.
jay21 (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 03:00 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Default Grace Period?

Does the unstated grace period being discussed have something to do with the warranty, or the actual impact on engine and transmission? That is, are we asking for a statement that says if you get the required service(engine oil, transmission fluid, transmission filter) done with x miles or x months, the warranty is valid, and outside of that maybe not? Anyway, there are some tolerances stated in the manual for some of the services. There are also statements about consequences of not having the service done in accordance with the requirements. First, as I noted earlier, I think you get a notice for both transmission fluid and engine oil when the life reaches 10%. The message say change xxx soon. And more specifically, the manual states to change the engine oil, or the transmission fluid, within 600 miles of the notice. Maybe not the grace period being sought, but it is a stated tolerance. Interestingly, I could find no clear tolerance for the transmission fluid external canister filter, although it appears to be between the time you get the message to change it, and when the filter life monitor gets to 0, because it says to change it before the monitor goes to 0. Also, I noticed while looking for this, that the manual says the filter life monitor is based only on miles (which is not what I speculated earlier).

Old 08-26-2022, 03:26 PM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Does the unstated grace period being discussed have something to do with the warranty, or the actual impact on engine and transmission? That is, are we asking for a statement that says if you get the required service(engine oil, transmission fluid, transmission filter) done with x miles or x months, the warranty is valid, and outside of that maybe not? Anyway, there are some tolerances stated in the manual for some of the services. There are also statements about consequences of not having the service done in accordance with the requirements. First, as I noted earlier, I think you get a notice for both transmission fluid and engine oil when the life reaches 10%. The message say change xxx soon. And more specifically, the manual states to change the engine oil, or the transmission fluid, within 600 miles of the notice. Maybe not the grace period being sought, but it is a stated tolerance. Interestingly, I could find no clear tolerance for the transmission fluid external canister filter, although it appears to be between the time you get the message to change it, and when the filter life monitor gets to 0, because it says to change it before the monitor goes to 0. Also, I noticed while looking for this, that the manual says the filter life monitor is based only on miles (which is not what I speculated earlier).

Perfect. Its for warranty purposes. Thats helpful.

I was mentioning all manufacturers have a grace period i just never looked up ours as i can get my car in when the manual says to
Old 08-26-2022, 05:09 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jay21
What I found fascinating is that he said the transmission is fully broke in at 7500 miles. I have never heard that.......That statement, about being fully broke in until 7500 miles, is really food for thought, at least for me. Just my opinion.
There is this in the owner' manual:

Old 08-26-2022, 06:02 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Its a good question.

Its a separate issue from doing additional services.

But yeah i agree for those folks who have difficulty getting their services done according to the book it makes sense for them to reach out to the GM chatline to get in writing what the acceptable grace period is.
If by GM chatline you mean the Corvette Concierge, I have already done that. I had a concern early on that this could turn into a mess

In January '21 I asked:
"My understanding is the 7500 mile DCT filter change is included in the free service if performed within the first year of ownership. Given the current environment I will probably put significantly fewer than 7500 miles within the first year.

What is the minimum mileage that I can have the 7500 mile DCT filter service performed and still retain the powertrain warranty?"

The Corvette Concierge responded:
"Thank you for reaching back out to the Corvette Concierge and great question! Prematurely servicing the DCT transmission in your Corvette will not void your powertrain warranty. With that said, we would encourage you to inquire with your assisting Chevrolet dealership for additional information pertaining to if this service will be complimentary as this offer may vary from dealer to dealer.

Please feel free to reach back out to us here should you have any additional questions, comments or concerns. We hope you have a safe and enjoyable weekend!"

Not that I put much trust in what the Corvette Concierge says but I have it in writing from a GM representative that performing the service prematurely won't void the powertrain warranty. But the real concern is what mileage is considered premature from a DCT health standpoint.

Old 08-26-2022, 06:12 PM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

If by GM chatline you mean the Corvette Concierge, I have already done that. I had a concern early on that this could turn into a mess

In January '21 I asked:
"My understanding is the 7500 mile DCT filter change is included in the free service if performed within the first year of ownership. Given the current environment I will probably put significantly fewer than 7500 miles within the first year.

What is the minimum mileage that I can have the 7500 mile DCT filter service performed and still retain the powertrain warranty?"

The Corvette Concierge responded:
"Thank you for reaching back out to the Corvette Concierge and great question! Prematurely servicing the DCT transmission in your Corvette will not void your powertrain warranty. With that said, we would encourage you to inquire with your assisting Chevrolet dealership for additional information pertaining to if this service will be complimentary as this offer may vary from dealer to dealer.

Please feel free to reach back out to us here should you have any additional questions, comments or concerns. We hope you have a safe and enjoyable weekend!"

Not that I put much trust in what the Corvette Concierge says but I have it in writing from a GM representative that performing the service prematurely won't void the powertrain warranty. But the real concern is what mileage is considered premature from a DCT health standpoint.

They're using the word premature to answer your question about servicing early. Premature just meaning before its required.

The chatline, the engineers, everyone has all said you can service it all you want before or in between required services (what they're saying is premature there).

You just have to also service it at 7500 miles. 7500 miles will be the end of significant break in apparently so it should be done then.

Easy peasy. Its in the manual.

Now if you want to service it ANYTIME before than thats fine too.

I changed mine at 3k and it looked great but ive seen ithers with tons of clutch debris and metals in theirs at the same mileage so who knows.

If i am doing severe duty services i usually like to half the regular intervals so at least i always remember to hit the required ones perfectly too. This is of course unless the manufacturer specifies a particular set severe service interval.

JerryU (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 06:44 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

They're using the word premature to answer your question about servicing early. Premature just meaning before its required.

The chatline, the engineers, everyone has all said you can service it all you want before or in between required services (what they're saying is premature there).

You just have to also service it at 7500 miles. 7500 miles will be the end of significant break in apparently so it should be done then.

Easy peasy. Its in the manual.

Now if you want to service it ANYTIME before than thats fine too.

I changed mine at 3k and it looked great but ive seen ithers with tons of clutch debris and metals in theirs at the same mileage so who knows.

If i am doing severe duty services i usually like to half the regular intervals so at least i always remember to hit the required ones perfectly too. This is of course unless the manufacturer specifies a particular set severe service interval.
Well, of course you can change it early and then change it again, but that wasn't the intent of the question. You can change your oil monthly if it makes you feel good.

But I went ahead and took your advice and chatted with GM (which transferred to the Concierge) to get clarification.

I asked:
My DCT filter was changed at 4600 miles, does it need to be changed again at 7500 miles?

They responded:
The Chevrolet Complete Care program extended the Included Maintenance timing requirements for the owners of the Chevrolet Corvette (C8) to come in to dealerships for their 1st service visit. For owners of a 2020 and newer Corvette, the allowed timing was increased from 12 months to 36 months. This new timing is more suitable for the driving habits experienced with Corvette owners. If you already did your visit and had your filter changed at 4,500 miles it is not necessary to do this again at 7,500.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:53 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,647 Likes on 6,646 Posts

They responded:
The Chevrolet Complete Care program extended the Included Maintenance timing requirements for the owners of the Chevrolet Corvette (C8) to come in to dealerships for their 1st service visit. For owners of a 2020 and newer Corvette, the allowed timing was increased from 12 months to 36 months. This new timing is more suitable for the driving habits experienced with Corvette owners. If you already did your visit and had your filter changed at 4,500 miles it is not necessary to do this again at 7,500.
Interesting. BUT thought it was changed from 12 months to 36 months than a very short time later back to 24 months!

They sure have screwed up their information on 1st service and what's FREE in Bulletins and Owner's Manuals! BUT my experience is IF they go to "Their Resources" as they are called, that usually is accurate.

Get notified of new replies

To Per GM change your Transmission filter at 7500 miles even if you had it changed early

Old 08-26-2022, 06:54 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Well, of course you can change it early and then change it again, but that wasn't the intent of the question. You can change your oil monthly if it makes you feel good.

But I went ahead and took your advice and chatted with GM (which transferred to the Concierge) to get clarification.

I asked:
My DCT filter was changed at 4600 miles, does it need to be changed again at 7500 miles?

They responded:
That really is interesting. So, if you had a transmission issue at 8500 miles that called for the hydraulic system flush and filter change, and that resolved it - then GM would pay for that, right?

Old 08-26-2022, 07:00 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JerryU
Interesting. BUT thought it was changed from 12 months to 36 months than a very short time later 24 months!

They sure have screwed up their information in bulletins and owner's manuals! BUT my experiance is IF they go to theri resourses as they are called that uussually is accurate.
I usually take everything the Concierge says with a grain of salt. They have provided misinformation more than once. I wouldn't be surprised if someone else asked they would get a different answer. Interestingly, my previous chat sessions were still in the chat window and I was chatting with the same Concierge.

My point is GM should send out a TSB clarifying the what they consider the minimum mileage is when a DCT filter change needs to be repeated at 7500 miles.
Fast Dawg (08-27-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 07:01 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

That really is interesting. So, if you had a transmission issue at 8500 miles that called for the hydraulic system flush and filter change, and that resolved it - then GM would pay for that, right?
I would think so. Especially with all the confusion.

Quick Reply: Per GM change your Transmission filter at 7500 miles even if you had it changed early