Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can trans issues be related to Break-in ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 10:15 PM
2024VETT
Racer

Received 346 Likes on 154 Posts

It looks like with the cage on the exterior of the filter that the pressure would be inside the filter? If that’s the case, all the debris would be inside the filter, not outside like a engine oil filter.
Sound right?
Old 11-04-2022, 10:22 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,200 Likes on 3,401 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoal07
Most automatics are fluid based and the "clutch" never actually connects to the gear. The power is transferred through the fluid inertia. The DCT is basically 2 traditional manual trans side by side, not a slush box.

My first 500 miles (at 2500 now) was on the trip back from NCM. I avoided interstates, which gave me a lot of RPM variation. I never went over 4k rpm, but when in auto mode the car certainly went over 4k rpm 4-5x when passing. I was in a pretty aggressive Z mode most of the time, and I did run the tail of the dragon, twice - but I adhered to the RPM limits at kept the lateral Gs to about .5. Since then I ran the back of the dragon, and I ran that more aggressively (it was past 1500mi). This is all in about a month, and I've had zero issues.
Yes, but the concern was about friction material wear and the worn friction material eventually winds up in the fluid. The wear of the of the brake band is a common failure point in an automatic transmission and thus the worn material winds up in the fluid. In the old days we installed shift kits that speeded up the shifts through modifications of the orifices that controlled the fluid velocity to the pistons that controlled the bands and clutches. You could make very firm shifts in an automatic transmission. This was accomplished by limiting the amount of slippage in the clutches and bands (and by limiting the overlap between gears) and had nothing to do with altering the way the torque converter worked. There is quite a lot of "clutching" going on in an automatic transmission.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:31 PM
Donuts
Race Director

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

It’s likely, just ask Paul pelosi
The following 2 users liked this post by Donuts:
ArizonaZ06 (11-05-2022), snork (11-05-2022)
Old 11-05-2022, 10:43 AM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,530 Likes on 1,608 Posts

For the first 500 miles I kept mine under the RPM suggested in the manual but I did switch to different MSRC modes. I also frequently used the paddles in Drive mode and switched to Manual mode from time to time. Once I hit 500 miles I allowed the RPMs to go higher especially when I downshifted with the paddle to slow down when taking a curve. I have yet to use launch mode (waiting to go to Ron Fellows so I learn the right way in their car). I don’t track my car either. I did a lot of spirited driving using the paddles on the many curvy roads near me but never pushed it too hard before I hit 1500 miles. I was at 4200 miles when the car turned a year old so I had my oil changed then. I’m waiting to get to 7400 miles in my second year to get the free oil change and DCT filter. I’m a “follow the maintenance schedule” guy and that’s exactly what I’m doing with my C8.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:17 AM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Received 2,352 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by 2024VETT
It looks like with the cage on the exterior of the filter that the pressure would be inside the filter? If that’s the case, all the debris would be inside the filter, not outside like a engine oil filter.
Sound right?
Correct....

Mine was free of suspended debris but did a good job of catching it in the media...

The following users liked this post:
2024VETT (11-05-2022)

Quick Reply: Can trans issues be related to Break-in ??