Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front License Plate Mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 12:30 PM
philbert_s
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Front License Plate Mount

Hi Team,

I need to mount my front plate before I get stopped. I know there is the blank plate that I have to pry off. But I'm wondering...is it possible to mount the license plate to the blank plastic plate, rather than the fascia behind. I'd rather drill holes in the blank plate than the fascia, I just worry that it might fly off.

Cheers!
Old 03-28-2023, 12:37 PM
SMOKN C8
Drifting

Received 1,871 Likes on 829 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by philbert_s
Hi Team,

I need to mount my front plate before I get stopped. I know there is the blank plate that I have to pry off. But I'm wondering...is it possible to mount the license plate to the blank plastic plate, rather than the fascia behind. I'd rather drill holes in the blank plate than the fascia, I just worry that it might fly off.

Cheers!
If you remove the facia and mount the tag, no one will ever see the holes when/if you pull the tag and put the facia back on.

My state requires a front tag but I do NOT want to run one. I pulled the fascia plate off, went to the auto parts store and got a few packs of velcro. After bending the tag to form to the "v" in the front, I cleaned the $%^# out of both the front tag and the car mounting area with a mixture of alcohol and water and applied the velcro. It is NOT going anywhere (I tested that). One fitted, and tested, I pulled the tag back off, tossed it into the frunk and put the fascia back on. Will try my luck for now and pull it out of the frunk if I am stopped.
The following 2 users liked this post by SMOKN C8:
EricC7 (03-29-2023), philbert_s (03-28-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 12:37 PM
Frankb10
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 121 Posts

Hi

No Problem….

What I did on my 2023 is…
Remove the plastic plate….I think there is a slot in the upper right corner.
I drilled 2 holes where the indentations were (to match the license plate)
You have to bend your plate slightly in the middle to accommodate the curve…
Screw the plate in and your ready to go…

Hope this helps….

PS I think there was a video on how this is done on-line..
Old 03-28-2023, 12:43 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,287 Posts

Hi Team,

Cheers!
You can, and I did. See this post:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-solution.html

I don't know if it looks any better than just removing the plate and mounting it in the recessed area.

Old 03-28-2023, 12:51 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,671 Likes on 8,313 Posts

I think it looks much cleaner in the area behind the Carbon Flash-painted cross-flags cover plate. Use a plastic trim tool to gently pry off the cover plate, and you'll see 4 "dimples" which are used to drill holes. Use the OEM self-tapping screws that came with the plate mount in the recessed area. You don't need the supplied front plate mount at all, and it is ugly.

You do not have to "crease" the front plate. Simply start a screw on one side, gently push the plate down until you can start a screw on the other side, and repeat for the other screws tightening down each one a little at a time, and the plate will form a perfect curve matching the body line.

I also used a matte black flexible silicon plate border available on Amazon to finish it off. That looks better to me than attaching to the cover plate, and you can save it in pristine condition for either the next owner or if you no longer need to run a front plate. Pop the front cover plate back on, and there's no evidence of any drilled holes.

US-style plates are a perfect fit in that recessed area behind the cover plate.

OP, the cover plate is part of the front fascia, and you don't want to drill holes in that. Remove it and save it.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-28-2023 at 01:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
philbert_s (03-28-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 01:58 PM
SMOKN C8
Drifting

Received 1,871 Likes on 829 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Foosh
I think it looks much cleaner in the area behind the Carbon Flash-painted cross-flags cover plate. Use a plastic trim tool to gently pry off the cover plate, and you'll see 4 "dimples" which are used to drill holes. Use the OEM self-tapping screws that came with the plate mount in the recessed area. You don't need the supplied front plate mount at all, and it is ugly.

You do not have to "crease" the front plate. Simply start a screw on one side, gently push the plate down until you can start a screw on the other side, and repeat for the other screws tightening down each one a little at a time, and the plate will form a perfect curve matching the body line.

I also used a matte black flexible silicon plate border available on Amazon to finish it off. That looks better to me than attaching to the cover plate, and you can save it in pristine condition for either the next owner or if you no longer need to run a front plate. Pop the front cover plate back on, and there's no evidence of any drilled holes.

US-style plates are a perfect fit in that recessed area behind the cover plate.

OP, the cover plate is part of the front fascia, and you don't want to drill holes in that. Remove it and save it.

I did this but with Velcro
Old 03-28-2023, 02:06 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,671 Likes on 8,313 Posts

I'm sure that works, but I don't see any reason to not use screws. It only takes a couple of minutes to remove 4 screws. The holes are in a hidden area, and if you want to go plateless because it makes you crazy, you just pop the cover back on. You can also put the screws back in to cover the drilled holes, and pop the cover back on.

The recessed area behind the cover isn't meant to be viewed and is unattractive with or without drilling through dimples. The car comes OEM with holes in the recessed area behind the fascia cover plate, which serve as the attachment points for that cover.

It is the crossed-flags cover which is the centerpiece of the fascia. The license plate just replaces that cover. If you don't use screws you end up with 4 empty holes visible in your license plate, which say, "please steal me quickly."

Last edited by Foosh; 03-28-2023 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:09 PM
INTIMIDAT3R
Burning Brakes

Received 801 Likes on 270 Posts

Hi Team,

Cheers!
Get craft magnets at Hobby Lobby. I did for my C7. Worked like a charm. Easy on, easy off.

I used it with and without my NoviStretch bra and it never came off either way.

Just mount the magnets behind the plastic "aeroplate" cover and to the back of your front plate. See below link. It's for my old C7, but the mounting process is the same.

I plan on doing the same thing for my C8...

Front Plate Solution w/out Modification

Last edited by INTIMIDAT3R; 03-31-2023 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:58 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,127 Likes on 564 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by CP:
Foosh (03-28-2023), Ron_Attleboro_MA (06-22-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Front License Plate Mount

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Mount