Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid and filter change: $1300+

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2023, 10:55 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 6,028 Likes on 3,049 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
OK, Kracka.

As an alternative, I hope, but don't really expect, that a lot of dealers will allow customers to come in with their own fluid and filter (bought at less cost than the dealer price). Doing that would go at least some distance in reducing the cost to customer if the fluid can be found for significantly less than dealer price.

I agree with both posts of "JerriVette". #10 regarding the dealer service depts. being under pressure. And #11 re the caution to keep the service of the DCT correct and done because the cost to the owner to repair/replace will be very high if it ever happens to become all C8-owner cost.
Most dealers do allow customers to bring in their own fluid & filters, but it's also a negotiation tactic asking them to match or at least get close on pricing to the online sources. They're all the same products coming from the same place, the only difference is how much it's being marked up.
The following users liked this post:
mefly2 (04-03-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 11:02 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,496 Likes on 1,956 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

^^ That made me think: so, with dealers it's a case of "negotiating" the reduced dealer price for fluids and filters. And my laughing answer was, "there's gotta be a "let the buyer negotiate" Latin equivalent to "let the buyer beware" caveat emptor.
Old 04-03-2023, 09:49 AM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,673 Likes on 4,335 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Please prove the actual source for the 3 year fluid change. I copied the change requirement directly from the 2023 Owners manual and there was no mention (at least at that location in the OM) of a 3 year requirement on the fluid. I did the courtesy of providing the source info, please do that for me for the 3-year quote. I know the filter change is 22.5K or 3 years.

Fortunately my Z is a 2023 and has the message on when to change and the DCT fluid life monitor.
I posted above what my owners manual says and it did not mention 3 years, it mentioned NO time frame. Did you read my post and the copy/paste from my owners manual?

If your owners manual says 3 year then post that info for me. ie return the courtesy I gave everyone when I posted my response.
This is from the 2023 Owners manual. It clearly says every three years.

The following 3 users liked this post by Red Mist Rulz:
AzDave47 (04-03-2023), Racer86 (09-08-2023), Ron222 (07-06-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 11:29 PM
16falcon
Drifting

Received 1,173 Likes on 627 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

I just paid $465 in just labor for a simple DCT filter replacement. With the service advisors OK, I brought the filter (Rockauto) and a quart of fluid to top it up after the filter change. Seems pretty pricey, but with no way to do the fluid cycling (electronic flush), I can’t do it myself, and I don’t really want to anyways. I guess that’s just the price of admission. I’ll be due a fluid replacement in January (3 years) and will probably replace the filter again then. I can’t wait to see that bill!
Kracka (04-04-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 06:23 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,722 Likes on 6,696 Posts

^^^
Yep, I'm also getting all 3 done in done this August, year 3.

To change the 11 quarts of fluid requires removing the aluminum aero panel. GM calls it a shear panel as it performs a structural function as well. Once off, labor is not much more to do all 3. He will perform a flush, which I assume Tech will do as soon as the car arrives and in on the ground. Once on the lift he can remove the aluminum panel and do all 3.

I asked the Tech this past August (year 2 when he only did the engine oil change) when I mentioned my plan for year 3 and asked how he will add the 11 quarts thinking he may have a pump. But he said he'd use the large 16+ oz syringe he used on my early DCT filter replacement topping off the fluid. That will take a while.

One reason I had my DCT filter changed early, year one on GM's dime with the engine oil change at 12 months. Knew I would not hit 7500 miles by year two and would be replacing filter again year 3. So I'll have 2 years on that changed filter and had the advantage of an early flush. So far DCT has been flawless. Not sure how much that early flush/filter change helped but didn't hurt!

Expect a healthy bill as well!

Lots of bolts to remove.

He'll use my 1 inch high jack pads than also gve him clearance to to remove the 4 bolts close to the GM oval lifting slots with a wrench.
Chuck in a Conti video who just used their large jack arm pads that partially blocked bolt access. He said they had to lift several times and reposition the arms to get those 4 bolts off!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-04-2023 at 06:44 AM.
myc8vette (12-05-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 07:23 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 351 Likes on 161 Posts

The belly pan is easy to remove which I did before taking my car for the filter change. I supplied the filter and fluid for that and will do the same for my 3 year fluid change. My tech uses a hand pump for the fill. So all I pay for is labor and the magic SW to do the hyd. flush process. It takes me 15 min. to remove and 15 min. to replace the pan.
The following 2 users liked this post by jagtoes:
JerriVette (04-04-2023), Kracka (04-04-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 08:15 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,123 Likes on 595 Posts

If things go as planned I'll never have to remove the bell pan. Since I only put +/-4500 miles on it a year I'll just have my hydraulic flush and DCT filter changed early when I do each 3 year fluid replacement. It's not a big cost item as my dealer lets me supply the filter and fluid only charging me a meager amount for labor. The flush, filter/fluid replacement will only run me $762, labor and materials (today's prices). Using my Quick Jack I'll do my own annual engine oil/filter replacements.
The following 2 users liked this post by Undy:
Jacques Albrecht (07-06-2023), Kracka (04-04-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 08:44 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,945 Likes on 2,332 Posts

It seems that there should be some saving if and when its necessary to change the fluid and filter at the same time. They are separate procedures and dealers probably charge for each based on an estimated time it takes to execute the procedure. But there is some overlap in the steps. When combined, the first step is the Hydraulic System Flush. Then its put on the lift, where the now the fluid can be drained and refilled, and the filter can be replaced. Then its lowered, and the engine is run while the transmissions is cycled through the gears to distribute the fluid (and that step is the same for both filter replacement and fluid replacement). Then its raised again, where the fluid level is checked and topped off (again that same step is in both procedures). At the very end of the DCT filter change procedure, the last step is a leak test that also involve using the scan tool and following the "instructions on the scan tool". I don't see that in the fluid replacement procedure so that is an extra step at the end. I dont see it stated, but I would think that the leak test involves putting the car back on the lift one more time to look for leaks after the procedure is run. Meaning that the underbelly covers should not be installed until that very last step is completed and checked for leaks.
Old 04-04-2023, 10:05 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Undy
If things go as planned I'll never have to remove the bell pan. Since I only put +/-4500 miles on it a year I'll just have my hydraulic flush and DCT filter changed early when I do each 3 year fluid replacement. It's not a big cost item as my dealer lets me supply the filter and fluid only charging me a meager amount for labor. The flush, filter/fluid replacement will only run me $762, labor and materials (today's prices). Using my Quick Jack I'll do my own annual engine oil/filter replacements.
The aluminum pan needs to be removed to access the DCT filter. Not like engine oil filter and drain plug where there is a hole in the pan.

Old 04-04-2023, 11:22 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JerryU
The aluminum pan needs to be removed to access the DCT filter. Not like engine oil filter and drain plug where there is a hole in the pan.

Jerry, If you would have read on I said the reason I'll never remove the belly pan is that my dealer will do it after during my 3 year DCT fluid replacement AND my DCT filter replacement.
Old 04-04-2023, 01:04 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
I actually read carefully AS ASSUME YOU HAD A TWIST BUT did not see that was being said.

“I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE WHAT YOU SAID WAS CLEAR BUT I AM NOT SURE THAT YOU REALIZE THAT WHAT YOU MEANT IS NOT THE WAY I READ IT!”

Old 04-04-2023, 03:09 PM
Undy
Safety Car

^^^
I actually read carefully AS ASSUME YOU HAD A TWIST BUT did not see that was being said.

“I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE WHAT YOU SAID WAS CLEAR BUT I AM NOT SURE THAT YOU REALIZE THAT WHAT YOU MEANT IS NOT THE WAY I READ IT!”

Evelyn Wood's name comes to mind...
JerryU (04-04-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 10:42 AM
Ron222
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

There is no need to change the transmission fluid at 7500 miles, they just need to top it off (a half quart?) after they do the "transmission flush" service procedure and then change out the transmission filter The transmission FLUID change is at 45K miles.

From the 2023 OM:
Every 72 000 km (45,000 mi)
. Change the transmission fluid and
external canister filter. Change the
external canister filter every 36 000 km
(22,500 mi) thereafter. This service can be
complex. See your dealer.
Or when the CHANGE TRANSMISSION
FLUID SOON message displays, change the
fluid and external canister filter within
the next 1 000 km (620 mi).
I have a '21 Coupe and in checking the owners manuals it states the following under the service and maintenance chart; Check the dual clutch transmission fluid life percentage. Check the Fluid if needed (4)
The (4) footnote reads; "Or Every Three Years, Whichever Comes First" Maybe they changed the maintenance guidelines for 2023? IDK
Old 07-06-2023, 10:53 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ron222
I have a '21 Coupe and in checking the owners manuals it states the following under the service and maintenance chart; Check the dual clutch transmission fluid life percentage. Check the Fluid if needed (4)
The (4) footnote reads; "Or Every Three Years, Whichever Comes First" Maybe they changed the maintenance guidelines for 2023? IDK
Not sure which statement you think implies a change. I have, in the past, reviewed all the manual 2020-2023 and, regarding the changing of the fluids, there is 1 change.

2020-2022 all indicate at 45K checking the fluid and changing it if needed. They also all say change it whenever you get the change transmission fluid soon message (regardless of miles). And they also say "or every three years" and also all say "every 24 hours of track use". The 2023 manual flat out says to change the fluid at 45K miles (without the "check and change if needed). So to summarize the 2023 requirement - change at 3 years, or when the fluid life monitor says so, or at 45K or every 24 hours of track use.

Old 07-06-2023, 10:55 AM
Ron222
Racer

The access bolts that are blocked by the lifting pads should be removed on both sides before lifting the Vette then there is no problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ron222:
Jacques Albrecht (07-06-2023), Racer86 (09-08-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 11:05 AM
Ron222
Racer

Originally Posted by Andybump
Not sure which statement you think implies a change. I have, in the past, reviewed all the manual 2020-2023 and, regarding the changing of the fluids, there is 1 change.

2020-2022 all indicate at 45K checking the fluid and changing it if needed. They also all say change it whenever you get the change transmission fluid soon message (regardless of miles). And they also say "or every three years" and also all say "every 24 hours of track use". The 2023 manual flat out says to change the fluid at 45K miles (without the "check and change if needed). So to summarize the 2023 requirement - change at 3 years, or when the fluid life monitor says so, or at 45K or every 24 hours of track use.

I'm not implying any such thing. If you read my post I'm simply saying that I have a 2021 Owners Manual not a 2023, the 2021 manual simply states that trans fluid should be changed every 3 years regardless of miles or the monitor.I have No Idea what the 2023 manual states since I don't possess one and am simply asking the question as to whether or not in 2023 GM made a change to the manual. Geeze, chill out and re read my post.
Old 07-06-2023, 11:16 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

The access bolts that are blocked by the lifting pads should be removed on both sides before lifting the Vette then there is no problem.
That will work. BUT not all techs are going to lay on the garage floor and reach in to access those bolts with a wrench before jacking. One reason I don't use the large Chevy/BMW/Mercedes dealer in town for the C8 (just bought the Nissan dealership.) They have ~30 service bays and I watched a tech kick a lift arm under a car (not a Vette!) Yep the small dealer I now use has a great C8 Trained tech. He used the 1-inch-high jack pads that are in my Frunk Tool bag whenever he lifts my C8! My 2 1/2 inch diameter jack pads meet the max GM diameter requirement and allowed him to access those 4 bolts.

Note, even Chuck, a good tech, uses his large lift arm pads and reaches under.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission fluid and filter change: $1300+

Old 07-06-2023, 11:54 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

I'm not implying any such thing. If you read my post I'm simply saying that I have a 2021 Owners Manual not a 2023, the 2021 manual simply states that trans fluid should be changed every 3 years regardless of miles or the monitor.I have No Idea what the 2023 manual states since I don't possess one and am simply asking the question as to whether or not in 2023 GM made a change to the manual. Geeze, chill out and re read my post.
You wrote "" Maybe they changed the maintenance guidelines for 2023? IDK". I thought I was answering your question by identifying the change for you. I took some time double check the manual before I responded. I'm sorry that you took some offense, but none was meant.
Old 07-06-2023, 12:12 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,039 Posts

That will work. BUT not all techs are going to lay on the garage floor and reach in to access those bolts with a wrench before jacking. One reason I don't use the large Chevy/BMW/Mercedes dealer in town for the C8 (just bought the Nissan dealership.) They have ~30 service bays and I watched a tech kick a lift arm under a car (not a Vette!) Yep the small dealer I now use has a great C8 Trained tech. He used the 1-inch-high jack pads that are in my Frunk Tool bag whenever he lifts my C8! My 2 1/2 inch diameter jack pads meet the max GM diameter requirement and allowed him to access those 4 bolts.

Note, even Chuck, a good tech, uses his large lift arm pads and reaches under.
Before / after: The pucks have a bit of a play, and I moved them away from those bolts. That was enough to be able to access the bolts when the car is on the lift.
JerryU (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 12:26 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by X25
Before / after: The pucks have a bit of a play, and I moved them away from those bolts. That was enough to be able to access the bolts when the car is on the lift.

Nice pics!
X25 (07-06-2023)

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid and filter change: $1300+