Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Ceramic Coating worth the Price??

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 05:24 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,558 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by dapopa9
People that wax their car also "seal the swirls" and so it is no different when using a coating. If you were fine waxing the car without first removing the "swirls" then most will be fine ceramic coating without removing the swirls. Its all the same. I do agree that, with any product, to read the instructions or watch a video so you know the correct way to apply it.
What is a ceramic coating?

A more recent development in detailing technology has been ceramic-based paint protection. (You’ve probably heard numerous terms/names, most commonly ceramic coating, silica, quartz, silicone-dioxide or even SiO2). This new ceramic material acts very differently from a wax in the sense that it will actually generate a curing property once applied to a surface. This curing creates a chemical bond with the surface on which it’s being applied, in this case our car’s paint. Once they’re applied & cured, ceramic-based protectants are extremely resistant to water, soaps, and of course environmental pollutants.”

https://www.lenosgarage.com/blogs/au...ceramic-vs-wax

Old 08-03-2023, 08:54 PM
PaulCPO
Pro

Received 522 Likes on 243 Posts

Well folks. I just did an about face. Cancelled my appointment for PPF, ceramic tint and ceramic coating. After looking at the car the guy did, I decided it wasn't worth $5K to me.

Never thought I'd say this guys and gals; but I'm going DIY and will seek paint repair if things get gnarly.

I hate washing and waxing but $5K is a crap ton of cash.
The following 7 users liked this post by PaulCPO:
Bozdx (08-03-2023), hawkgfr (08-03-2023), joeking (08-05-2023), khartford (08-04-2023), TriGuyPNW (08-03-2023), WishfulThinker23 (08-03-2023), Zormecteon (08-04-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-04-2023, 01:18 AM
Zormecteon
Drifting

Received 1,387 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulCPO
Well folks. I just did an about face. Cancelled my appointment for PPF, ceramic tint and ceramic coating. After looking at the car the guy did, I decided it wasn't worth $5K to me.

Never thought I'd say this guys and gals; but I'm going DIY and will seek paint repair if things get gnarly.

I hate washing and waxing but $5K is a crap ton of cash.
Since you're going to do it yourself, ..

Easy in Quick.Griot's 3 in 1 Ceramic "Wax"... Spray on. Wipe off. Buff. .. Less time than it would take to paste wax it. (essentially just like using detail spray) 4 -> 8 months protection
Adam's Advanced Graphene Spray.... Not much difference in ease of application from above, Slightly but longer protection... (Get the UV light to spot missed areas) 1 year good.
or .. go BIG
Adams Advanced Graphene ... slightly more complex in application as it has to cure for 24 hrs, but they claim 9 years... I'll be happy if it gives me 5! .. again, get the UV light.

I'm sure there are other high quality --easy to use--but I'm familiar with these. ...

YOU can do it.

Old 08-04-2023, 06:47 AM
PaulCPO
Pro

Received 522 Likes on 243 Posts

Thank you for the suggestions.

I know of you get the car professionally done in ceramic, it tends to close the door for PPF in the future but do the DIY products cause issues with PPF if I change my mind down the road?
Old 08-04-2023, 09:40 AM
Jacques Albrecht
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 144 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Yes Sir!

Originally Posted by 65Bob-bo
Taking delivery of my C8 in a few months. Worth it on a brand new paint job??
When I bought & took delivery of my 2020 Long Beach Red C8 Z51 Corvette coup I had it ceramic coated by a professional detailer who first took a lot of time & effort to correct its brand new paint completely prior to then applying a great ceramic coating. The results have been and are super. This great looking car just needs a rinse & blow dry. No muss no fuss.
Just coming upon my three year ownership mark so I called him to perform a total detail + a ceramic touch-up. Ceramic coating is a well worth investment... You can certainly DIY but the initial paint correction will prove to be difficult to properly perform prior to application.
The following users liked this post:
Fast Dawg (08-04-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 11:46 AM
Zormecteon
Drifting

Received 1,387 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacques Albrecht
You can certainly DIY but the initial paint correction will prove to be difficult to properly perform prior to application.
THIS.... That's why the recommendations of one year type of coatings..... They give the ease of washing/caring for the car without the expense of labor of doing a multiple year type that will "forever" seal in paint imperfections. ... ... If doing a multi year (5+) it behooves one to have the paint corrected first..... i.e. 1) Wash, 2) Clay. 3 Deironize, 4) Paint Correct, 5) Surface Prep, 6) Coat. .. .. That means going over the whole car 6 times... ... With the 1 year, you can 1) Wash, 2) Clay, 3)Surface Prep, 4) Coat. .. and the car will look great if not fantastic.

It's that paint correction step I personally wouldn't do, and why I paid to have my C8 coated, but not my FiST or Sprite.
Old 08-04-2023, 02:20 PM
Esoteric Detail
Supporting Vendor

Received 462 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Dawg
Just so @65Bob-bo doesn't miss a important point about wax vs ceramic - wax doesn't seal the paint like ceramic. Anyone who applies ceramic to their paint should first do a paint correction or you will seal the swirls, etc.....under the ceramic. That takes some time. Esoteric - a forum vendor - has a lot of detailed videos on their website for DIYers.
Indeed...a DIY application of a multi-year ceramic is certainly within the capabilities of an interested person. Like many things, preparation is the key to a truly stunning result (chemical & physical decontamination, paint correction/polishing) but these steps are also able to be completed successfully if one is so inclined. A moderate investment in tools & materials is necessary but many also find it a very rewarding process.

Some resources for those interested:

Video: Ceramic Coating - What you should know

5 Common MYTHS About Ceramic Coating!

When it comes to application, there are a variety of excellent, easy to use coatings available to the DIY Enthusiast. Our favorite for both ease of use and performance are the selections from the Kamikaze Collection

Kamikaze ISM 3.0 is a very popular choice, single layer coating and also excellent for trim, had lights, tail lights, wiper arms, windshield cowlings...pretty much any exterior surface aside from wheels & glass.

Gyeon also makes some great performing and easy to use coating products: Gyeon Coatings

For something that is VERY easy to use that will easily exceed a year in normal usage (likely significantly longer on a 'sunny day only' driver) is Gyeon Cancoat:

Originally Posted by PaulCPO
Thank you for the suggestions.

I know of you get the car professionally done in ceramic, it tends to close the door for PPF in the future but do the DIY products cause issues with PPF if I change my mind down the road?
Part of the PPF preparation process would likely be a paint correction step which would easily remove the coating; really not a concern for a reputable PPF installer.

Originally Posted by Jacques Albrecht
...You can certainly DIY but the initial paint correction will prove to be difficult to properly perform prior to application.
If you are willing to invest in the time and materials, successful paint correction is well within the abilities of most of those folks interested. We have many folks who contact us wanting to prep, polish and coat their new (or older) vehicles and end up with spectacular results! Are you going to be as efficient as a professional...of course not. Can you achieve the same results...yes.

All of that said, is a ceramic coating the 'best' solution for everyone? Of course not, it's all a matter of preferences based on individual needs and wants. Some people like clean cars but don't like cleaning cars...a coating might be perfect for them, Some folks like spending an afternoon in the garage or driveway with a treasured vehicle, cleaning and shining; a ceramic is likely not for them although you certainly can spend time doing the same type of things with a coated vehicle. Does your car only come out on sunny Sundays for a short drive? In that case, finding the most deliciously luscious carnauba paste wax might be your little slice of heaven. There's a myriad of detailing 'solutions' out there, a ceramic coating is but one; but if it fits your automotive 'lifestyle' they certainly do have their benefits!

More information on all of these topics is available in multi-video playlists in our ESOTERIC YouTube Library including:
  • Quick Answers to Coating Questions
  • NEW 2023 KAMIKAZE-Collection Coatings
  • Our Top Polishing Videos
Please don't hesitate to reach out at any time with any product or detailing-related questions! You can reach our Product Support line at 614.855.2573 or via e-mail at sales@esotericcarcare.com
HRE Wheels . Forgeline Wheels . BBS Wheels . Akrapovic Exhaust . Fabspeed Exhaust . KW Suspension

9801 Karmar Ct. New Albany, Ohio 43054
(614) 855-6855
Contact@esotericdetail.com
EsotericDetail.com
EsotericCarCare.com
ESOTERIC on YouTube

Last edited by Esoteric Detail; 08-04-2023 at 02:41 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Esoteric Detail:
1SlowC5 (08-05-2023), Fast Dawg (08-05-2023), JKU007FL (08-05-2023)

Quick Reply: Is Ceramic Coating worth the Price??