Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Appearance

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 01:01 PM
switchlanez
Drifting

Received 1,265 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by JToddH
So, you’re underwhelmed. Got it.

Assuming that makes you a hard “no,” all I can say is “thank you.” That puts me one step closer in the cue for an allotment. Kinda like when you’re in line for a movie ticket and the couple ahead decides to leave, and I quietly do a Snoopy Dance.

Seriously though, I hope as the design evolves, you’ll be able to appreciate how far the Vette has come.
I sense the exact opposite from the OP who seems pleasantly surprised by its design if you read between their lines. Impressed enough to voice curiosity about it in the C8 section as an outsider. In our echo chamber it looks amazing and the best but to the everyday person outside our echo chamber it looks "different" in an eye-catching way. That's what I'm reading here.

Most C8 pictures available to the general public show it in isolation or next to other C8s or supercars. Those photos completely lack perspective of its proportional presence relative to other everyday cars on the road. When I saw my first one roaring down a local street in heavy traffic I was pretty surprised. Felt like it was my first time seeing one despite having viewed hundreds of photos for months prior and in person spinning at the LA Auto Show but spaced away from other cars and elevated on a pedestal. The feeling I got from that first street sighting is probably what OP is feeling despite knowing of the C8 for 4 years.

Photos of the C8 in public among other cars aren't common but I found a few. They give a better perspective on how relatively low, wide, and small it really is which the vast majority of C8 photos online don't capture:

The following 2 users liked this post by switchlanez:
Deus_Meridius (10-10-2023), Scruff Vette (10-11-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 01:13 PM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

I've been a fan of every model Corvette I can remember. Each time they change generations I'm amazed. The C8 does look more European to me, and when I ordered mine I added the body color side and rear trim. To my eye that makes the car look more like the exotics, without the black boomerangs on the sides.
Old 10-09-2023, 01:28 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,772 Likes on 4,693 Posts

If you're waiting for them to change back to the old design, that ship hasn't sailed, it's sunk. I sold Corvettes for over 10 years, owned a fair number, but for the last 20 years I've been done with the old warmed over same old same old, refreshed versions. When the C8 was launched I had to have one. After over three years of ownership I love the car more today than the day I picked it up. After driving it for 6 straight hours coming home from BG, I felt a little sad because I wanted to still go for a drive in my Corvette. Pretty much inked the deal I have the right car.
Old 10-09-2023, 01:41 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,682 Likes on 6,669 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
Recently went to a Concurs with a lot of newer Ferraris, McLarens, Lamborghinis, etc. My wife kept referring to them as C8 wannabes...
Originally Posted by Blue Lion
I've been a fan of every model Corvette I can remember. Each time they change generations I'm amazed. The C8 does look more European to me, and when I ordered mine I added the body color side and rear trim. To my eye that makes the car look more like the exotics, without the black boomerangs on the sides.
At least my E-Ray Wannane doesn't cost an annual Personal Property tax a Ferrari SF90 would! $525,000/$120,000 x $1500 I expect to pay year 1 = $6500! Won't get much cheaper years 2, 3 etc as doubt the Black Book value our SC PP Tax is based on will hold value.

My Build has body colored "boomerangs." Agree think it looks better with Cacti. Interior Artemis.

. IMO the E-Ray Looks Better!
Old 10-09-2023, 01:44 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Originally Posted by JerryU
IMO the E-Ray Looks Better!
Unless of course it's made in cat puke green.
The following users liked this post:
SW-Vette-Dan (10-11-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 02:27 PM
switchlanez
Drifting

FYI, the C1 was GM's attempt to capture market share dominated by British roadsters after young vets returned from WWII with money to burn amidst the manufacturing innovation boom that resulted from wartime production. Corvette's origin story has been to be a knock-off European sports car since inception.

​​​​​​

RYTOCOR (10-12-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 02:50 PM
winders
Burning Brakes

Received 1,243 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by switchlanez
FYI, the C1 was GM's attempt to capture market share dominated by British roadsters after young vets returned from WWII with money to burn amidst the manufacturing innovation boom that resulted from wartime production. Corvette's origin story has been to be a knock-off European sports car since inception.
I would argue with your "knock-off" wording. The idea was not to make a "knock-off" which is a copy. It was to make a car of their own design in the segment made up of European roadsters.
LE MANSZ (10-10-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 03:04 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Originally Posted by winders
I would argue with your "knock-off" wording. The idea was not to make a "knock-off" which is a copy. It was to make a car of their own design in the segment made up of European roadsters.
Exactly, plus no GM car has lost all electrical functions while driving like the British cars. Lucas, the prince of darkness.
The following 2 users liked this post by Phil1098:
Ghost 23 (10-12-2023), RYTOCOR (10-12-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 03:07 PM
astepup
Melting Slicks

Received 1,818 Likes on 676 Posts

As 22c8z51 said, Chevy had pretty much reached the pinnacle of what the FE-RD platform could achieve. I imagine it would have been very difficult if not impossible to add an AWD system to the C7 design. I spoke to a man much more knowledgeable about Corvettes than I and he said the same thing. By becoming a mid engine car the design of the body had to radically change. What would have been the alternative, adding 3+ feet to the rear of the C7?

I personally love the design of the C8 and couldn't care less what critics refer to as an "exotic or European wannabe". The fact that the entire corvette team designed and built a car of this caliber at the price point that it is, is to me nothing short of amazing. We're entering the fifth model year of this design and while I've had my '23 for only 14 months I still get asked if it's a Lamborghini or a Ferrari, still have people taking pics of it and have had several little kids ask to have their pics taken with it. When that happens I have them get in and stand on the seats so mom and dad can get really good shots of them.
Old 10-09-2023, 06:11 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,662 Likes on 4,330 Posts

The proportions of a mid-engine car are what they are. You can't really make a mid-engine car look like a C4 with a long hood and short deck. So an ME Corvette is bound to resemble mid-engine European cars to a large degree.

Originally Posted by Dreamer2
I'm sure the performance is outstanding but I just don't think "wow" when I see one like I do with previous generations.
And as much as I like my C7, I think it looks old fashioned compared to the C8. The C5 and C6 even moreso. Older models look "Wow" because of their history and the period design as much as anything else. The C4 was largely hated when it came out, and almost everyone seemed to like the C2 better than the C3, at first.

I recall a bunch of Corvette owners I know saying the didn't like the C7 when it came out. Probably 2/3 of them own one now.

Last edited by Red Mist Rulz; 10-09-2023 at 06:18 PM.
Walt White Coupe (10-10-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 06:54 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

​​​​​​
Remember the Twin Brothers who lived near me that were stationed in Europe in the Army. When they got out they brought matching 1954 4 cylinder Healey's!! Liked them BUT I was into drag racing and Hot Rods! Have remained a fan of both!

Old 10-09-2023, 08:54 PM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,386 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR-71
I’m a C4 owner. I’m not complaining about the looks of the C8 Corvette but to me they look more like an Italian or Europeon sports car.
That was the whole idea, so the designers thank you. You are looking at a $65,000 car and thinking it is one that costs 3 to 4 times that. Job done

Old 10-09-2023, 09:26 PM
switchlanez
Drifting

Originally Posted by winders
Yeah it's hyperbole or oversimplification. I say the same about Fiero and MR2 vs Ferraris of their era. C8 is the closest thing to a 458 with the engineers fessing up to it to some extent. Different ways of communicating the same general idea, though not literally accurate in a strict sense.
Old 10-09-2023, 09:46 PM
FastJohn
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR-71
I’m a C4 owner. I’m not complaining about the looks of the C8 Corvette but to me they look more like an Italian or Europeon sports car. As I was walking in a parking lot today I was approaching a sports car and thought, Hey there’s some foreign sports car. But then, wait, that’s a Corvette.
How did they come up with that design?
I'm so happy they came up with this design.
First one I really liked since 1971 and earlier models and worth it to me to spend my money on.
(And obviously that's my opinion, everyone has their own taste in cars. Nothing against others who have different likes,)
Old 10-10-2023, 12:23 AM
J-Fly
Pro

Received 307 Likes on 175 Posts

Yes, GM did a good job of making a design that shows the lineage of Corvette. The first time I saw the C8 during the reveal, I was expecting it to be unrecognizable. But it looks like a Corvette.
The following 3 users liked this post by J-Fly:
JToddH (10-10-2023), MitchSpence (10-12-2023), Rapid Fred (10-11-2023)
Old 10-10-2023, 04:10 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,270 Likes on 3,496 Posts

Design by committee. Some of the pre-production renderings were better, imho.
Old 10-10-2023, 04:20 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 155 Likes on 85 Posts

Combination of 2 things: 1) Mid-engine profile and 2) proportional dimensions.

1) The common theme among supercars you're familiar with are mid-engine proportions. They generally have a cabin pushed forward closer to the front axle. Whereas front engine cars tend to have a longer hood to house the engine, pushing the cabin toward the rear wheels:

2) But a cab forward mid-engine layout alone doesn't make it look like a supercar. Porsche Caymans are cab forward mid-engine designs as are MR2s and Fieros. Even the Toyota Previa minivan is mid-engine. But they don't have the right dimensional proportions. Specifically the height and width (low and wide stance). The C8's proportions are nearly identical to the Ferrari 458's and close to the 488's. Conversely, a C7 Z06 also has comparable height/width dimensions but not in mid-engine proportions for a cab forward design so it doesn't look as exotic.

That's why I said you need both elements, not either/or. Not only mid-engine proportions like a Cayman. And not only dimensional proportions like a C7 Z06. You need a mid-engine layout with the right general dimensions. The net effect of both is supercar presence.

All the comparison photos above look nice, showing how well the C8 looks, BUT, where are the *** end photos? IMO, that's the biggest design failure of the C8. Most media photos avoid showing the back of the C8 in comparos for a reason. While one can objectively say that the front end looks very nice and "exotic", the rear end is just, bad.
dvilin (10-12-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Appearance

Old 10-10-2023, 05:09 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Avanti
Design by committee. Some of the pre-production renderings were better, imho.
Yep the cars I sketched in boring classes in high school looked better! But they were not very functional! BTW, none of those in Math or Science!

IMO the best looking ME was the 1967 Ferrari 330/P4! But zero storage space and the passenger would complain abut their cramped space!

I have several, albeit mine are small! Also have an original water color and a modern art pic bought at Laguna Seca Vintage Races when Ferrari was the featured marque. The cutaway is from the Shell Series by James Allington.

Last edited by JerryU; 10-10-2023 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-10-2023, 05:31 PM
richg04
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

I love all vettes. When the C8 first came out I thought it was ok. Didn't do much for me. I spent the day at Corvettes at Carlisle and never saw so many C8's. I left Carlisle saying to myself-- WOW, I need to get one of these. Maybe some day.
Old 10-10-2023, 05:45 PM
SMOKN C8
Drifting

Received 1,915 Likes on 843 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

All I know is it is one sexy ^#%@. Everytime I see one on the road, I am like "DAMN!!!! Is that what my car looks like?!?"
MitchSpence (10-13-2023)

Quick Reply: C8 Appearance