Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Upside of On-Star?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 01:43 PM
WhiteDevil828
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by BasicMember
Say you fly off a cliff and your car is not visible to anyone passing by. OnStar will locate the module if it hasn't been destroyed also.
so will a free app I have in my phone which is always with me.
Old 03-06-2024, 04:03 PM
See8
Pro

Received 649 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Andybump
I wonder if they have data the relates the observed "events" to actual propensity for an accident or insurance claim? From reading all the complaints and concerns on the forum, and descriptions about how folks like to drive, it sounds us C8 owners are a rambunctious group of drivers. Does that make us unsafe - prone to more insurance claims? I'm not so sure. It would not surprise me if the opposite were true - we also sound like group that takes care of their cars. So, do those so-called hard braking and hard acceleration events actually have anything to do with insurance claims or highway safety? I think if they are going to use such data, they should be required to show that the data are relevant to the claims history.
There are all kinds of metrics that can be used to influence insurance rates. Credit score. Number of traffic citations, etc. There is another metric I read that people who charge their phones overnight are a significantly less of an insurance risk than people who don't.

The short answer is the opinion of what is hard breaking and acceleration would not be considered either in realityland -- but is reported as such. I know this because it provides exact dates & times of said occurrences. So I was able to see when I was driving my C8 like a grandma it still said I was nailing the gas and slamming on the brakes.

But it's now neither here nor there for me as i disabled this reporting feature it is no longer reporting any of this nonsense.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:28 AM
justplainjim
Drifting

Received 367 Likes on 222 Posts

Big brother everywhere. Your cell phone, camera's.everywhere, etc..
The following users liked this post:
drwoof (03-15-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 04:23 PM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 895 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by justplainjim
Big brother everywhere. Your cell phone, camera's.everywhere, etc..
Doesn't mean you have to enable them. Doesn't mean you have to help them out. Doesn't mean you have to blindly go along with it.
drwoof (03-15-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 01:50 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,551 Likes on 4,279 Posts

Originally Posted by See8
Don't forget to deactivate the reporting services to LexisNexis even if you don't activate OnStar. Otherwise it will report ALL start times, turn off times, (in essence when you leave and return from your home) and every time it considers you to be engaged in hard acceleration and hard braking.

I verified this reporting was happening when I ordered my report from LexisNexis -- even though I didn't activate OnStar. And DESPITE what others here have argued with me about and told me I'm wrong, I reordered my report and VERIFIED that my vehicle information was NO LONGER BEING REPORTED after I stopped that reporting service.
And how do you deactivate that?
Old 03-08-2024, 02:39 PM
rawbar
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 991 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Mist Rulz
And how do you deactivate that?
After calling them I was told to push the button in the car and ask for provisioning. Provisioning had never heard of LexisNexus and insisted OnStar wasn't sharing my data with a 3rd party. Eventually they said they shut everything off they possibly could and that it should solve whatever my issue is. I really won't know if it was successful without ordering another LN report in a few months.
You may want to follow this thread, someone is in there right now with the modules out, posting pics trying to figure out how to disable the car from sending data out.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1607601030
Old 03-10-2024, 06:10 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 527 Likes on 355 Posts

It's a choice and lots of $$$$ for everything BUT I want simple and Nav is simple for me but I haven't found out about traffic yet the C7 had traffic and nav
Old 03-10-2024, 06:13 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 527 Likes on 355 Posts

Well at least it isn't RED
Old 03-10-2024, 06:38 PM
rawbar
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

The thread I shared a few posts up now has a link to a YouTube video explaining how to disable OnStar. TLDR; you need to remove the front passenger wheel liner and disconnect the 4G antenna.
3LZR21U (03-10-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 07:06 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,825 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Originally Posted by rawbar
The thread I shared a few posts up now has a link to a YouTube video explaining how to disable OnStar. TLDR; you need to remove the front passenger wheel liner and disconnect the 4G antenna.
@22c8z51 Since you determined that it worked to just disconnect the antenna (rather then wrapping it), then could the disconnect be done under the dash at the telematics if that is easier (and if one can tell which connector it is).
Old 03-15-2024, 01:59 AM
NA Screamer
Pro

Received 361 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
I can't find it on the website anymore, so you'll have to do it through the app. Whether you wanted it or not, you already have an Onstar account. At some point during the buying process, you had to give the dealer an email address, which is used to deposit your reward points and to set up an Onstar account because every new Corvette now comes with at least 3 years of the Onstar Remote Access plan. You do not have to sign up for any additional plans when going through the app, although it will prompt you to do it.
What if you communicated with the dealer by phone and then never gave them an email address? What would happen to their effort to set up an OnStar account for you?
Old 03-15-2024, 05:23 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 500 Posts
Tech Contributor

i’m gonna take a 3000 mile trip in a couple months and will be staying at some small town motels. So I called OnStar and bought the safety and security package for 30 bucks. It will allow me to set a perimeter fence around the car so that if it moves, I know it’s been hijacked. OnStar then can ,with a police report , slow down the car, lock the car, brick the car. That’s worth 30 bucks. When I get home from my trip, I will cancel the whole subscription.

of all the on star features, this is the only one I want. I also have an apple AirTag hidden deep within the car for tracking purposes.
JRYELLOWCORVETTE (03-16-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 10:45 AM
rawbar
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Glen e
. I also have an apple AirTag hidden deep within the car for tracking purposes.
curious if you found a place that cant be accessed easily, otherwise thieves will get a notice there is one on the car following them and they can make it beep to find it. it's a good idea, I just have no idea where to stick one. maybe drop it between the seats, i can never get anything out when i do that

Old 03-15-2024, 10:50 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,297 Likes on 1,200 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by NA Screamer
What if you communicated with the dealer by phone and then never gave them an email address? What would happen to their effort to set up an OnStar account for you?
It's part of the setup process on the dealer side, so they are going to need an email address. By not giving them one, you're just making it more difficult on yourself as they are likely tying it to a dummy address or dealer address. Either way, it's my understanding that you are opted into Smart Driver by default under the name of the person buying the car. Not giving them an email address will just make it harder to opt out.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:23 PM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 895 Likes on 589 Posts

curious if you found a place that cant be accessed easily, otherwise thieves will get a notice there is one on the car following them and they can make it beep to find it. it's a good idea, I just have no idea where to stick one. maybe drop it between the seats, i can never get anything out when i do that
disable the audio output....
Old 03-15-2024, 03:32 PM
rawbar
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 3LZR21U
disable the audio output....
You'd have to get in there and cut the traces to the speaker, but that works. Just like our stupid car and having to manually disconnect the antenna, the Airtag is the same to disable audio.
Old 03-15-2024, 04:25 PM
Revmanii
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm usually not of fan of monthly or yearly charges for something like this but I will say Onstar saved my *** pretty nicely when the car over heated on a highway in the middle of Ohio on the way home to upsate NY after buying it from a Chevy dealer just south of Sherevport. LA. Onstar got a flatbed out to me reasonably quickly and transported to a local dealer. They were awesome and diagnosed and fixed it the same day. I lost probably 5-6 hours drive time and had to to crash in a hotel a little east of Buffallo, NY as I'd left Bowling Green, KY at 1:00AM and wasn't safe to drive any further. GM even re-imbursed me for that unexpected last night hotel expense eventually.

Get notified of new replies

To The Upside of On-Star?

Old 03-15-2024, 04:48 PM
Bluehinder
Drifting

Received 1,264 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
It's part of the setup process on the dealer side, so they are going to need an email address. By not giving them one, you're just making it more difficult on yourself as they are likely tying it to a dummy address or dealer address. Either way, it's my understanding that you are opted into Smart Driver by default under the name of the person buying the car. Not giving them an email address will just make it harder to opt out.
I never gave my dealer an email. They never asked. You don't need an email to buy a car. I've bought six Corvettes from the same dealer and not once was an email used or required. All my other cars for that matter too.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:04 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 500 Posts
Tech Contributor

You'd have to get in there and cut the traces to the speaker, but that works. Just like our stupid car and having to manually disconnect the antenna, the Airtag is the same to disable audio.
no you don’t, there’s a YouTube on this. As soon as you pop it open, you realize the speaker is a magnetic disc that is just held in by magnetism. It pops right out, AirTag continues to work fine with no speaker. I’ve done two of them.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:19 PM
JRYELLOWCORVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

I have an extreme dislike of GM in general. They screwed me years ago. The only GM product I would ever own is the Corvette. It would be awesome if Corvette could become their own company but I know that’s not happening.

Other manufacturers have tried charging fees for BS things including BMW-Audi & Mercedes

Quick Reply: The Upside of On-Star?