Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with after market exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 08:58 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,932 Likes on 2,999 Posts

Mode should not matter when performing the relearn procedures as the full sweep is utilized. With that said, I never have a car in Z-Mode when performing the procedures (I use Tour).
Old 04-06-2024, 09:03 PM
Hockeyfun1
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
Mode should not matter when performing the relearn procedures as the full sweep is utilized. With that said, I never have a car in Z-Mode when performing the procedures (I use Tour).
I'll try driving it in a few hours or in the morning when it cools off. What would you suggest at this point? I'm not sure why I get a cold loud rattle that goes away when it warms up.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:02 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Hockeyfun1
I'll try driving it in a few hours or in the morning when it cools off. What would you suggest at this point? I'm not sure why I get a cold loud rattle that goes away when it warms up.
I hate to say it, but probably a defective valve...

Could it possibly be a loose heatshield, though?!
Old 04-07-2024, 12:04 AM
Hockeyfun1
Racer

I hate to say it, but probably a defective valve...

Could it possibly be a loose heatshield, though?!
I'm thinking it might not be anything loose since it goes away when the engine heats up.

My first one had a defective valve and made rattling. This is much louder but shorter in duration.
Old 04-07-2024, 12:29 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

I'm thinking it might not be anything loose since it goes away when the engine heats up.

My first one had a defective valve and made rattling. This is much louder but shorter in duration.
Heat will alter a heatshield rattle. My decades with turbo imports taught me that!
Old 04-08-2024, 10:42 PM
Hockeyfun1
Racer

It's 50F outside so not in the 30s like the other day when I got the loud noise upon starting to drive. You can still hear a slight rattle in this video. Any idea about it?

Also in this second video, I was coming to a stop and doing a u turn and accidently downshifted to 1st gear with the paddle shifter. My car was still in D mode, not M mode (never was) and it didn't want to shift up. I had to do it myself with the paddle shifter to get it in second gear. Unrelated to the Borla but any ideas? The exhaust made a weird noise.
Attached Files
File Type: avi
1.avi (2.42 MB, 3 views)
File Type: avi
2.avi (9.82 MB, 2 views)
Old 04-09-2024, 01:08 AM
ArizonaZ06
Drifting

Received 598 Likes on 326 Posts

I have a 2022 HTC and it originally had the NPP exhaust. I then bought a Borla ATAK.
With the hell you've goon through with the Atak I would get Borla to refund you.

There's plenty of performance with the NPP. After all this get your Borla money back and put on a set of HJS 200 Cell Cats that will give you a deep idle sound and a serious growl to or before redline. The HJS flow is 92% of a straight pipe with not one CEL.

OR, just a thought. Pretty sure Kracka has quality Corsa's Cats that are half the price of HJS, with your Borla refund $$, add on headers that are both together less than the Atak. Headers and Cats together is an easy install. I have both with my NPP.

https://soulpp.com/product/chevrolet...ic-converters/
The following users liked this post:
Kracka (04-09-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 07:47 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ArizonaZ06
With the hell you've goon through with the Atak I would get Borla to refund you.

There's plenty of performance with the NPP. After all this get your Borla money back and put on a set of HJS 200 Cell Cats that will give you a deep idle sound and a serious growl to or before redline. The HJS flow is 92% of a straight pipe with not one CEL.

OR, just a thought. Pretty sure Kracka has quality Corsa's Cats that are half the price of HJS, with your Borla refund $$, add on headers that are both together less than the Atak. Headers and Cats together is an easy install. I have both with my NPP.

https://soulpp.com/product/chevrolet...ic-converters/
Correct, aFe headers + Corsa cats here. Zero CEL's 2+ years and counting.
Old 04-09-2024, 07:49 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

It's 50F outside so not in the 30s like the other day when I got the loud noise upon starting to drive. You can still hear a slight rattle in this video. Any idea about it?
Nothing else is possibly loose from the install? If not, then I'd say it points to a faulty valve in the Borla system somewhere.

Also in this second video, I was coming to a stop and doing a u turn and accidently downshifted to 1st gear with the paddle shifter. My car was still in D mode, not M mode (never was) and it didn't want to shift up. I had to do it myself with the paddle shifter to get it in second gear. Unrelated to the Borla but any ideas? The exhaust made a weird noise.
Unrelated to the exhaust, this is normal behavior. By hitting a paddle, you temporarily entered manual mode.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:02 AM
Hockeyfun1
Racer

Since I have NPP, in an exhaust on my car, I want the ability to change the noise to be lower or louder. If I take the car out of Z mode with the ATAK, the sound is reasonable. So that's why I wouldn't want to change the cats. Plus NY has new laws about that with passing inspection. If you were me, would you try Corsa exhaust or just go back to stock?
​​​​​​
Old 04-09-2024, 10:05 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Since I have NPP, in an exhaust on my car, I want the ability to change the noise to be lower or louder. If I take the car out of Z mode with the ATAK, the sound is reasonable. So that's why I wouldn't want to change the cats. Plus NY has new laws about that with passing inspection. If you were me, would you try Corsa exhaust or just go back to stock?
​​​​​​
If I were you, I'd let Borla take care of you under their warranty. Let them replace the system and cover your labor to do so.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kracka:
ArizonaZ06 (04-09-2024), MarkMeHopeful (04-09-2024), SMOKN C8 (04-09-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 01:44 PM
Hockeyfun1
Racer

If I were you, I'd let Borla take care of you under their warranty. Let them replace the system and cover your labor to do so.
They already did that once and were making it seem like it's not really compatible with my car.
Old 04-09-2024, 02:09 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,590 Likes on 14,135 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If Borla does not think the exhaust system you have is not compatible with your car, take them up on their offer of refunding your costs. The NPP system from GM is not a bad one at all.
Old 04-09-2024, 02:49 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

They already did that once and were making it seem like it's not really compatible with my car.
Oh that's right, you mentioned that. In that case, absolutely full refund and go with Corsa.
Old 04-09-2024, 05:50 PM
Hockeyfun1
Racer

Oh that's right, you mentioned that. In that case, absolutely full refund and go with Corsa.
What Corsa is equivalent to the Borla ATAK? Any suggestions on where to get it from?
Old 04-09-2024, 08:28 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

What Corsa is equivalent to the Borla ATAK? Any suggestions on where to get it from?
You'll want the 4-valve system with mufflers, your choice of exhaust tips (polished, black, or carbon fiber).
SKU: 21100
https://www.corsaperformance.com/pro...tory-npp-21100

@Corvetteexhaustsystems is your man for anything Corsa. His customer service was incredible when I bought my cats. He's in NY as I see you are too.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:11 AM
Corvetteexhaustsystems
Supporting Vendor

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

You'll want the 4-valve system with mufflers, your choice of exhaust tips (polished, black, or carbon fiber).
SKU: 21100
https://www.corsaperformance.com/pro...tory-npp-21100

@Corvetteexhaustsystems is your man for anything Corsa. His customer service was incredible when I bought my cats. He's in NY as I see you are too.
Yesssirr I do have Corsa options in stock & ready to ship if you want to try something new. If you're not too far away maybe I can have a look at your car to see if there could be any issues with your setup currently.
201-575-0861 (cell to call or text)
Your Ultimate Resource For Headers, Exhaust Systems & more for Corvette! I carry Corsa, Kooks, ARH, Borla, Billy Boat, Akrapovic, Capristo & Much More

Get notified of new replies

To Problems with after market exhaust

Old 04-10-2024, 12:44 AM
MarkMeHopeful
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,595 Likes on 868 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Not doubting you at all, but did they say why they it's not really compatible with your car? If you originally had a NPP exhaust, aren't all C8's created equal?
Old 04-10-2024, 04:24 AM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkMeHopeful
Not doubting you at all, but did they say why they it's not really compatible with your car? If you originally had a NPP exhaust, aren't all C8's created equal?
^^
Sounds, pun intended, like they are giving up. Complete cop out to say not compatible. That being said I’d be frustrated as hell. What are the odds two systems are doing it unless you received two of a “same bad batch of valves”. I’d love a better exhaust on my ‘24 Z51 but the wife would kill me considering how new it is. Also a little leary about about warranty once I get out into the GMEPP timeframe.

Good luck, has to be a royal pain.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:14 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SnowyATX
^^
Sounds, pun intended, like they are giving up. Complete cop out to say not compatible. That being said I’d be frustrated as hell. What are the odds two systems are doing it unless you received two of a “same bad batch of valves”. I’d love a better exhaust on my ‘24 Z51 but the wife would kill me considering how new it is. Also a little leary about about warranty once I get out into the GMEPP timeframe.

Good luck, has to be a royal pain.
If warranty is a major concern, then I'd suggest GM's optional Borla system installed by your dealer. Tough to argue it being fully validated by GM engineers and warranty-compliant if installed by the dealership. You can order it directly from your dealership or the Chevy Accessories website.

https://accessories.chevrolet.com/pr...iGAhmuv3E%253D

$4,243.40 right now with the current ROAD20 promotion code (plus tax & installation).

Quick Reply: Problems with after market exhaust