Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using Them Paddle Things

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 01:54 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,352 Likes on 1,219 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by wugak
Here's the dumb question of the day. I LOVE to use M mode and I have 2 other cars that are manual transmissions and love every minute. The ONLY issue I have it taking off from a dead stop and turning 90 degrees out of my main street or in town. First gear is so low that by the time I am half way across the intersection its time to shift BUT the wheel is almost upside down and my arms are crossed over. I may not be able to hold the wheel and end up doing the hand over hand dance and can't access the paddle. How do you handle that? Practice?

In D mode the car is in 3rd gear before 20 mph many times.
Driving in manual will make you anticipate those types of scenarios ahead of time and plan for them. Some options are hold the gear longer, short shift, accelerate faster (getting to the shift sooner), accelerate slower (getting to the shift later).
Old 04-10-2024, 02:49 PM
jm74
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 44 Posts

I know I'm in the minority here, but I've always found them to be a little gimmicky. Just my opinion. The only vehicle I enjoyed using them in was an Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio.
Old 04-10-2024, 03:14 PM
Stew24
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by jm74
I know I'm in the minority here, but I've always found them to be a little gimmicky. Just my opinion. The only vehicle I enjoyed using them in was an Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio.
I kinda felt the same way before I added an aftermarket exhaust. Now, manual mode is a certainty EVERYTIME I drive the car any distance of time to speak of. Being able to play wiith the exhaust note is what makes it appealing to me. Doesn't seem or feel as gimmicky now.
Old 04-10-2024, 03:20 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,352 Likes on 1,219 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Stew24
I kinda felt the same way before I added an aftermarket exhaust. Now, manual mode is a certainty EVERYTIME I drive the car any distance of time to speak of. Being able to play wiith the exhaust note is what makes it appealing to me. Doesn't seem or feel as gimmicky now.
It's even better with the Z06.
Old 04-10-2024, 03:33 PM
LeJerk
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Stew24
It's even better with the ZR1!

Quick Reply: Using Them Paddle Things