Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New C8, new owner, rough beginning.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 09:12 AM
undecided1965
Burning Brakes

Received 505 Likes on 301 Posts

It's just a car, an inanimate object. Warranties and Lemon Laws protect us from severe issues. If mine did it, I would be ok with GM fixing it as long as I got a decent loaner and it takes less than 30 days. If it goes over that, I'd be immediately lemoning it but I don't know what other car would satisfy me in this price range.
The following users liked this post:
RKCRLR (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 09:36 AM
cherrybombking
Heel & Toe

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by undecided1965
It's just a car, an inanimate object. Warranties and Lemon Laws protect us from severe issues. If mine did it, I would be ok with GM fixing it as long as I got a decent loaner and it takes less than 30 days. If it goes over that, I'd be immediately lemoning it but I don't know what other car would satisfy me in this price range.
They gave me a giant Silverado, nearly the exact opposite of what I arrived in. Apparently they do not have loaner Z06s sitting around, I asked.
MKC8 (05-15-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 10:29 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 9,008 Likes on 4,335 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by cherrybombking
They gave me a giant Silverado, nearly the exact opposite of what I arrived in. Apparently they do not have loaner Z06s sitting around, I asked.
One of the things I like about BMW is the loaner is almost always what you own or pretty close. Had my wife's X3MC in for routine maintenance and a warranty issue with the ambient lighting. They gave her a brand new X3 with only 100 mi on it for the loaner. I've gotten an M240i when my M2 is in for maintenance.

With our US vehicles it's always been 1. A struggle to get a loaner & 2. The cheapest car they have on the lot plus "don't drive on the tollways, and you're limited to x number of miles"
Old 05-02-2024, 12:21 PM
Roadee
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

It just needs some miles on it , its a nothing burger ive been down this rabbit hole pick up the car and drive it as you could be waiting months for a valve body that really isnt necessary anyway. P.S Conti talks to much , How long was delivery?
Old 05-02-2024, 01:50 PM
mefly2
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by lion shf
I’m so buying a Porsche
... just wondering why you are on this forum ...
The following 8 users liked this post by mefly2:
6 Shooter (05-02-2024), C6blackGS (05-09-2024), Corvette ED (05-08-2024), JTBogus (05-07-2024), mracer14 (05-03-2024), tractman (05-14-2024), Vega$Vette (05-03-2024), Z51Madison (05-11-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-02-2024, 01:54 PM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 383 Likes on 234 Posts

Apparently a lot of non owners on here. More than a few just to troll...
Vega$Vette (05-03-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 02:09 PM
Khaberst
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 75 Posts

Maybe you'll be on the next Tech Tuesday, or see your car in the shop!
Old 05-02-2024, 02:18 PM
lion shf
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by mefly2
cause I want a C8. The Porsche is akin to marrying a classy educated girl. Safe, the route I took 100 years ago.
the C8 is coke in Vegas off a stripper
(the DCT being the coke, GM service advisor the stripper)
im also waiting for new 2025 changes: colors/+HP/wallremoval
Old 05-02-2024, 02:20 PM
lion shf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EvanD
Apparently a lot of non owners on here. More than a few just to troll...
im not trolling drove 2 C8s so far, second only to the Emira, also a complete schitshow sadly
Old 05-02-2024, 02:28 PM
Blackwater0323
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by rfkirk
Yeah, I used to follow him online. I sent him an innocuous question about my order (with another dealer) that had gotten held up for "constraints" after GM had accepted my order. He proceeded to cherry pick my words and blasted me in his weekly online posting. That was the last time I bothered to listen to him. As a people far wiser than me used to say “caveat emptor”.
I also watched him for a short time and did not appreciate his stupid humor. Videos were nothing but an advertisement about him. I found my car locally but probably would have ordered from Mike Furman if needed.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:32 PM
6 Shooter
Melting Slicks

Received 1,231 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadee
P.S Conti talks to much…
The following 2 users liked this post by 6 Shooter:
Khaberst (05-02-2024), TNBatmobile (05-03-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 02:32 PM
Harvey Huffman
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 41 Posts

I feel your frustration but please don't give up on the C8 - most owners are like me with a 2020 C8 at just over 16K miles - not a single issue with my Corvette in 3 years 4 mos of ownership. I encourage you to continue focusing on getting a competent service dept to resolve the issue! Once it's repaired chances are you will not have recurring issues! As for those touting other brands - not one brand is 100% trouble free - won't bore you with some of my horror stores about BMW/Porsche/Audi and even Honda in my 60+ years of car ownership.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:45 PM
cherrybombking
Heel & Toe

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Khaberst
Maybe you'll be on the next Tech Tuesday, or see your car in the shop!
That is hilarious. I am not the type to name names or bad mouth, my experience was my own and unfortunate. That being said, we did notice that there seemed to be more interest in answering questions for the internet than there was answering questions from a a real, paying customer. Delivery experience was a lot of being talked at vs talked to, one-sided stories, not much interest in listening. He did get a nice photo of us tho, so I am grateful for that.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:59 PM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 383 Likes on 234 Posts

Rick (and Greg) did me right when he was in Wisconsin. Got me $10k off my C6 which was much more than you'll see off a C8 percentage wise.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:40 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,235 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by mefly2

Pretty sure cause you don't have to own a corvette to be here....I'm wondering why you care, did he hurt you?

If yes, apologies in advance....
AORoads (05-03-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 03:50 PM
lion shf
Burning Brakes

All good the 4 cylinder p car guys also tell me to F off I’m a man (car enthusiast) without a country
AORoads (05-03-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 03:51 PM
Gary barnes 1098
Drifting

Received 643 Likes on 377 Posts

The thing that bothers the hell outta me about all this tranny stuff is that we’re in the 5th year of this issue and all issues with trans are basically the same and widespread more that they should be and no one knows what the hell the cure is and what’s really failing!!!!
I mean what’s the freaking secret gm!!!!!
what’s the weak link with this dct and the true longevity?!?!
I really don’t wanna be out in limbo with what exactly are mostly the issues???
just small particles in the solenoids??!?!?!
is that the issue?!!
extend warranty?!?!
talk to us!!!!
freaking joke
Waterline (05-02-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To New C8, new owner, rough beginning.

Old 05-02-2024, 07:42 PM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 743 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by lion shf
I’m so buying a Porsche
Ive had two…. They can have their issues…. Both 911’s I had required warranty repairs. Not massive issues but they weren’t Toyotas that’s for sure. I will probably have another Porsche at some point but to match my C8 capability is a minimum spend of $120k if I really want a Porsche that is sub 3.0 second 0-60.
lion shf (05-03-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 08:45 PM
Waterline
Racer

Received 313 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Warranty

Originally Posted by Gary barnes 1098
The thing that bothers the hell outta me about all this tranny stuff is that we’re in the 5th year of this issue and all issues with trans are basically the same and widespread more that they should be and no one knows what the hell the cure is and what’s really failing!!!!
I mean what’s the freaking secret gm!!!!!
what’s the weak link with this dct and the true longevity?!?!
I really don’t wanna be out in limbo with what exactly are mostly the issues???
just small particles in the solenoids??!?!?!
is that the issue?!!
extend warranty?!?!
talk to us!!!!
freaking joke
The issue is... almost every buyer of a C8 and paying all that money for the problems that come with the car say "don't worry about it"... "that's what the warranty is for". That is total bull ****. Let me ask you "warranty enthusiasts" out there, what if there wasn't a warranty? Would you accept the poor design/quality issues then? would you even buy the car after reading all of these posts on failures? I'll bet not. But with most buyers feeling good about having the warranty to correct poor design and quality problems, GM will continue to sell mediocre vehicles. Not just the C8, but all of the brand. Lexus and Toyota assembly technicians have the authority to stop the production line if they see a problem. I doubt GM would allow that. But on the other hand, the C8 transmission problems being caused by crap left in during the machining process would be hard to see, along with all of the electrical/software gremlins that the brand has. GM, how about developing a better cleaning process and giving it to Tremic to adhere to? I worked on multiple power systems for the ISS (space station) and foreign objects had to be a total of zero. Also worked ultra high vacuum (UHV) at Stanford. The cleaning requirements for UHV were 10 times that of the ISS. The cleaning for the UHV chambers was done by special vendors and the cost was less than $70.00 per unit. The chambers were about the size of the C8 transmission housing. So yes, there is no reason crap in the transmission valves should be an issue. But, as long as we keep buying the cars and depending on the warranty to be the GM quality control, they why should they change the manufacturing process?
Rant is over...
The following 3 users liked this post by Waterline:
AORoads (05-03-2024), lion shf (05-03-2024), TNBatmobile (05-03-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 08:57 PM
BigButtLover
Safety Car

Received 512 Likes on 238 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Waterline
The issue is... almost every buyer of a C8 and paying all that money for the problems that come with the car say "don't worry about it"... "that's what the warranty is for". That is total bull ****. Let me ask you "warranty enthusiasts" out there, what if there wasn't a warranty? Would you accept the poor design/quality issues then? would you even buy the car after reading all of these posts on failures? I'll bet not. But with most buyers feeling good about having the warranty to correct poor design and quality problems, GM will continue to sell mediocre vehicles. Not just the C8, but all of the brand. Lexus and Toyota assembly technicians have the authority to stop the production line if they see a problem. I doubt GM would allow that. But on the other hand, the C8 transmission problems being caused by crap left in during the machining process would be hard to see, along with all of the electrical/software gremlins that the brand has. GM, how about developing a better cleaning process and giving it to Tremic to adhere to? I worked on multiple power systems for the ISS (space station) and foreign objects had to be a total of zero. Also worked ultra high vacuum (UHV) at Stanford. The cleaning requirements for UHV were 10 times that of the ISS. The cleaning for the UHV chambers was done by special vendors and the cost was less than $70.00 per unit. The chambers were about the size of the C8 transmission housing. So yes, there is no reason crap in the transmission valves should be an issue. But, as long as we keep buying the cars and depending on the warranty to be the GM quality control, they why should they change the manufacturing process?
Rant is over...
I agree with you. It’s totally BS. No way this should be happening. Sales are driving the ostrich attitude. Just pretend it’s not there.

Quick Reply: New C8, new owner, rough beginning.