Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Battery life

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 04:59 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,661 Likes on 4,330 Posts

Originally Posted by STINGR8Y
Do you keep the fob anywhere near the car? if its close to the car it might still be active, i keep mine well away from the car with no issues
After a short time not moving the fob goes to sleep even if it's inside the car. So keeping it near the car won't have any effect, unless it hanging from your dog's collar.
The following users liked this post:
RKCRLR (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 08:42 PM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

As noted above something isn't right. I've never had this issue with any fob for any car.
On a related note I keep an extra battery sealed in its packaging in the glove box of each car in case I'm far from home and the fob battery dies. Haven't ever needed it, but...
Old 05-09-2024, 08:44 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,979 Likes on 1,319 Posts

Originally Posted by switchlanez
When the fob isn't in motion (in motion meaning like in your pocket and you're moving around; it's not in motion like when left at home hanging or on a table) for a period of time, it goes to sleep. Meaning it stops transmitting. This happened to me many times at Ron Fellows where they instruct us to leave the fob in our C8's cupholder during classroom sessions. When we back into the cars and press start, nothing happens unless we jiggle the fob to wake it up. It broadcasts its presence to the car so then you can start it.

That was a longwinded way of saying if you carry your fob everywhere, you're keeping its transmitter awake and draining its battery. So it drains sooner than if you were to leave it somewhere static when not in use.
Been DDing Corvettes for more than 30 years... FOB is always in my pocket. Never an early battery failure.

Quick Reply: Key Battery life