Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Week with shock leak, no end in sight

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 06:58 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,859 Likes on 3,084 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by 24RiptideBlue
gm should take care of their car owners and take parts from future factory builds. Replenish the factory, don’t make owners wait for parts on their new cars. It’s bad enough their new car needs service.
GM is not going to pull parts from assembly line cars to be built to repair a used car under warranty
The following 2 users liked this post by 449er:
Fast Dawg (05-15-2024), TNBatmobile (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 08:10 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 594 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
GM is not going to pull parts from assembly line cars to be built to repair a used car under warranty
Of course not. However, they have been building this platform for five model years. They know what parts are failing or more subject to fail by now. It's ponderous that they don't have any inventory of these items. Saving every little bit of money by using the "we won't inventory anything, just try to get the supplier to provide when needed" thus adding the extra layer of delay.
The following users liked this post:
hawkgfr (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 09:14 AM
See8
Pro

Received 688 Likes on 273 Posts

True. GM has proven that much. But people here were only suggesting that as an immediate solution to gross incompetence or refusal of proper customer support.

It is beyond unfathomable how a production company can draw on over 100 years of production experience, the most advanced production software in the world, access to a GLOBAL supply chain,......and still not be able to supply replacement parts when they fail or when a car is in need of repair to their paying customers in a timely manner.
The following 2 users liked this post by See8:
hawkgfr (05-15-2024), TNBatmobile (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 10:11 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,388 Likes on 3,495 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
Many online parts houses advertise items as if they are in stock but they order them as needed and have them drop-shipped to the buyer. So, they would find out the part is on backorder and you would end up waiting from them also.
I agree, but rockauto is usually pretty good about not listing parts unless they are available. Usually they let you know beforehand if a part isn't currently available. And many times online stores will provide an estimate of when they expect the backordered part to ship which is more than the dealerships seem to be able to do.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:32 AM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,577 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by C8Rob
Might be one reason why demand for the C8 is dropping. People don't want to pay this much for a new car and have to worry about having a problem and then not be able to get it fixed promptly. No excuse for this.
Demand hasn't dropped. BG produced 8.5% more Corvettes in Q1 2024 than they did in Q1 2023.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fast Dawg:
jimmie jam (05-15-2024), Kevin A Jones (05-17-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 10:38 AM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by See8
True. GM has proven that much. But people here were only suggesting that as an immediate solution to gross incompetence or refusal of proper customer support.

It is beyond unfathomable how a production company can draw on over 100 years of production experience, the most advanced production software in the world, access to a GLOBAL supply chain,......and still not be able to supply replacement parts when they fail or when a car is in need of repair to their paying customers in a timely manner.
It's not just GM. It's every manufacturer. My son-in-law owns two Matco Tool routes. He covers an entire county and every Mom and Pop repair shop can't get parts along with the manufacturer dealers he has on his routes.
Kevin A Jones (05-17-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 10:48 AM
undecided1965
Burning Brakes

Received 512 Likes on 308 Posts
Default Well, if everyone waiting for parts starts invoking lemon law

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
Of course not. However, they have been building this platform for five model years. They know what parts are failing or more subject to fail by now. It's ponderous that they don't have any inventory of these items. Saving every little bit of money by using the "we won't inventory anything, just try to get the supplier to provide when needed" thus adding the extra layer of delay.
Or at least 'mention' it to the dealer or one of the GM phone numbers maybe they will take notice, maybe not.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:02 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,651 Likes on 847 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
It's amazing how retail parts places can get parts but GM can't figure out how to do it...
It is called inventory. 3rd party suppliers may stock parts, whereas your local Chevy dealer may not, and they are required to get OEM, current stock, from GM for warranty work or they do not get reimbursed. I am sure if you bought the part, they would cover the labor, but don't count on the dealer working the secondary market.

As for GM stopping their line to rob parts for a repair, there is no manufacturer that would ever do that. Car assembly works by Just In Time delivery, which means there is minimal factory stock nowadays. That means parts typically parts are received for assembly only a few days prior to assembly. Each car build is scheduled into specific slots so the parts can all marry up for build in proper order. Taking a part out of the cycle can actually cause a line stoppage, which they will never risk.

Bottom line is there is normally some service stock, but that is limited and based on previous usage, so if you catch it wrong there could be delay. It is up to Material Planners to make choices, based on supplier capacity, as to where the parts go. How do I know this? I worked for years in an engineering group that supported a factory and had to deal with similarr issues.

Inventory is $$$$, and it is very expensive to stock parts for "what ifs". Though it totally sucks sometimes just happens with any product.
The following 2 users liked this post by gliot1:
Acpantera (05-15-2024), Fast Dawg (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 11:24 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gliot1
It is called inventory. 3rd party suppliers may stock parts, whereas your local Chevy dealer may not, and they are required to get OEM, current stock, from GM for warranty work or they do not get reimbursed. I am sure if you bought the part, they would cover the labor, but don't count on the dealer working the secondary market.

As for GM stopping their line to rob parts for a repair, there is no manufacturer that would ever do that. Car assembly works by Just In Time delivery, which means there is minimal factory stock nowadays. That means parts typically parts are received for assembly only a few days prior to assembly. Each car build is scheduled into specific slots so the parts can all marry up for build in proper order. Taking a part out of the cycle can actually cause a line stoppage, which they will never risk.

Bottom line is there is normally some service stock, but that is limited and based on previous usage, so if you catch it wrong there could be delay. It is up to Material Planners to make choices, based on supplier capacity, as to where the parts go. How do I know this? I worked for years in an engineering group that supported a factory and had to deal with similarr issues.

Inventory is $$$$, and it is very expensive to stock parts for "what ifs". Though it totally sucks sometimes just happens with any product.
I think most of the online retailers don't stock the parts, they just make the arrangements to have the parts drop-shipped directly to the customer.

I agree the reason GM doesn't divert parts from the assembly line is because it is more cost effective for them to produce as many cars as possible instead of supporting warranty repairs. If there are so many cars breaking that diverting parts to support warranty repairs would substantially impact production then that is another problem (I don't believe this is the case). But if it became more cost effective to perform warranty repairs with a slight reduction in production then GM may change their approach.

In many states the Lemon Laws come into play when a car is out of service for 30 days (they don't need to be consecutive) and are in force for a few years. If more people started Lemon Lawing their cars when their cars have been out of service for 30 days it would get GM's attention.

The OP didn't state how long he has had his car but he may be eligible for Lemon Law buyback under the laws in his state once it has been out of service long enough. A dealer shouldn't be able to tell you your car is going to be out of service indefinitely when you have a warranty.
INTIMIDAT3R (06-01-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 11:53 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Dawg
Demand hasn't dropped. BG produced 8.5% more Corvettes in Q1 2024 than they did in Q1 2023.

That must be why they are literally sitting everywhere for sale both new and used.... There is 100 within 75 miles of me and last year that number averaged around 40 for the same search filter...
JABCAT (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 11:56 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,651 Likes on 847 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I think most of the online retailers don't stock the parts, they just make the arrangements to have the parts drop-shipped directly to the customer.

I agree the reason GM doesn't divert parts from the assembly line is because it is more cost effective for them to produce as many cars as possible instead of supporting warranty repairs. If there are so many cars breaking that diverting parts to support warranty repairs would substantially impact production then that is another problem (I don't believe this is the case). But if it became more cost effective to perform warranty repairs with a slight reduction in production then GM may change their approach.

In many states the Lemon Laws come into play when a car is out of service for 30 days (they don't need to be consecutive) and are in force for a few years. If more people started Lemon Lawing their cars when their cars have been out of service for 30 days it would get GM's attention.

The OP didn't state how long he has had his car but he may be eligible for Lemon Law buyback under the laws in his state once it has been out of service long enough. A dealer shouldn't be able to tell you your car is going to be out of service indefinitely when you have a warranty.
I agree with you on most every point. Warranty service once a product is delivered than to correct prior. In my case we worked hard to correct systemic problems in house as it was far cheaper. The other issue is GM can get caught trying to get replacement parts from 3rd party suppliers who have limited capacity and raw materials. I am sure they could change policy and allow dealers to work secondary markets, but then you lose more quality control. Are the parts real GM? How old are the parts? Are tge parts on the shelf part of a recall, etc? We would work secondary markets at times for older parts, but really high risk for the factors I noted.
RKCRLR (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 11:57 AM
EASonBASS
Burning Brakes

Received 438 Likes on 263 Posts

Parts replaced under MFG warranty are often remanufactured, not new off the shelf. For example, my original DCT that failed may be your future replacement.
INTIMIDAT3R (06-01-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 12:37 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 594 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by EASonBASS
Parts replaced under MFG warranty are often remanufactured, not new off the shelf. For example, my original DCT that failed may be your future replacement.
Been doing this for decades. I purchased a new 1979 and at 400 miles the transmission would not shift properly. In for a warranty repair. Order said defective TC, replaced. I kept this car for 27 years and put about 35K on it. At one point the front seal was leaking so I took it to my shop to get the seal replaced. He new I was the original owner and asked me when the "remanufactured" TC was installed. I said WTF, they did that at 400 miles when I had an issue. Brand new car, old part.......
Old 05-15-2024, 01:13 PM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 805 Likes on 394 Posts

They should be directed to warranty repair when it hits the dock from the supplier. Before it gets anywhere near the line…

The OP had the car a week… it should have never left the factory….

I had an SHO a million years ago that had a surging problem. Two dealers couldn’t solve it so I wrote every member of the board of directors and got a call from some HQ engineer that said he knew what the problem was but he could not get parts so he took them from the plant assembling new cars… had them shipped to my local dealership and supervised repair.

But regardless one shock being diverted should not shut the line down.

Last edited by 24RiptideBlue; 05-15-2024 at 01:18 PM.
RKCRLR (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 01:29 PM
MikeFloyd
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 211 Likes on 92 Posts

Maybe this explains why there are so many Lemon Law-ed C-8's for sale.
RKCRLR (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 02:51 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
That must be why they are literally sitting everywhere for sale both new and used.... There is 100 within 75 miles of me and last year that number averaged around 40 for the same search filter...
I was strictly speaking of new C8s. I just checked CarGuru and there are a total of 40 new 2024s in your entire state for sale.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fast Dawg:
24RiptideBlue (05-16-2024), Kevin A Jones (05-17-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 03:40 PM
f1rob
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by undecided1965
Or at least 'mention' it to the dealer or one of the GM phone numbers maybe they will take notice, maybe not.
bit of a different situation, but kinda the same....

I have a 2020 Cadillac CT5. It was in the shop a couple of months ago for a faulty driver's door handle mechanism. That took over a month for it to be sourced and installed. While to car was being done, the tech scratched at trim piece on the inside of the door. **** happens, and the dealership was good about it and told me they would replace with a new one - all good so far...

When the piece came in, it had a different finish on it..flat grey, instead of the black chrome that the original one was. After talking to the Parts Manager, we discovered that the original part number was discontinued, and they shipped the replacement part.

No beuno, as this certainly did not match the other 9 black chrome pieces in the car. Dealership cannot get the old part number.

Opened a case with the Cadillac Concierge, and it has now been over 2 weeks while they have no update, no part, and no next steps plan. Simple....the part my car came with is not available, even though they confirmed that by federal law, they are required to provide parts for 10 years.

This car is only 4 years old, and they cannot fix my car....what do i do in another 4-5 years? Just bin the car?

Get notified of new replies

To 1st Week with shock leak, no end in sight

Old 05-15-2024, 04:06 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by f1rob
Opened a case with the Cadillac Concierge, and it has now been over 2 weeks while they have no update, no part, and no next steps plan. Simple....the part my car came with is not available, even though they confirmed that by federal law, they are required to provide parts for 10 years.
There being a law that requires parts to be available for 10 years is an internet myth as far as I can tell. I've challenged people to provide a link to an official source and, so far, no one has been able to do that. I'd like to be proven wrong. The closest I've seen is the Magnuson-Moss act that requires parts to be available during the warranty period.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:05 PM
undecided1965
Burning Brakes

Received 512 Likes on 308 Posts
Default You are correct

There being a law that requires parts to be available for 10 years is an internet myth as far as I can tell. I've challenged people to provide a link to an official source and, so far, no one has been able to do that. I'd like to be proven wrong. The closest I've seen is the Magnuson-Moss act that requires parts to be available during the warranty period.
It's somewhat of a myth. Manufacturers need to have parts for warranty coverage (regular and extended warranties). So if the last model year of a C8 is let's say 2028, they'd need parts till 2035/2036 or there abouts. For owners of earlier years, 2020 for example, that would be 15/16 years worth of part availability. So, the later year cars will see diminished supply as they get older but the earlier cars should be ok.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:06 PM
Dads2kconvertible
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 446 Posts

I don't even think the MMWA requires parts be available at all. It only says a manufacturer can't void your warranty for using aftermarket parts.
But good luck figuring that out from reading the damn thing: https://web.archive.org/web/20130317.../pls/15C50.txt

Quick Reply: 1st Week with shock leak, no end in sight