Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding backordered GM options

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 06:23 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 9,008 Likes on 4,335 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by CaryBob
Holy cow! The local dealer is charging you close to TEN times what that install should cost. You should be charged something more like $150 give or take. Or you can do it yourself or have someone else do it. Maybe they misunderstood what was involved?
Exactly this, if that's all you need installed the local dealer can F-off. What a joke, $1,100 to install.
The following users liked this post:
Q Pilot (05-17-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 09:33 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 144 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by CaryBob
Holy cow! The local dealer is charging you close to TEN times what that install should cost. You should be charged something more like $150 give or take. Or you can do it yourself or have someone else do it. Maybe they misunderstood what was involved?
You do realize that the Scrape Amor radiator screen for the Z06 requires.complete removal of the front bumper. The book hours for that alone in 2.5.hours (@$195/hour) plus the prep.and install of the radiator screens. I don't have a problem with the local dealer as they will only charge for the actual time....maybe they are will.get it done quicker but didn't want.to quote too low only to come.in higher.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:43 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Originally Posted by JABCAT
Exactly this, if that's all you need installed the local dealer can F-off. What a joke, $1,100 to install.
​​​​​​For the Z06 the GM (Scrape Amor screens) requires full removal.of the front bumpers and then install of the screens and clips. It 2.5.hours (@$195/hour) for front bumper and then there's the labor for the install of the screen kit. Maybe they over estimated a little and they hope to come in a little less...the old.sddsge.of.under.promise.and over deliver. Either way this install is not as simple as.the Stingray installation that probably can easlily be done in an hour or less.

Last edited by Z Fast; 05-16-2024 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 12:29 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,167 Likes on 6,213 Posts

If you refuse to take delivery, the selling dealer will be free to sell the vehicle to someone else.
Old 05-16-2024, 02:12 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
If you refuse to take delivery, the selling dealer will be free to sell the vehicle to someone else.
Would you say that to be true if the dealer was to get the part within a couple of weeks? I have an open case with the Chevrolet Customer Care and they said they will do everything they can to expedite the parts now that the vendor will be shipping them out again next week.
Old 05-16-2024, 03:19 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,167 Likes on 6,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Z Fast
Would you say that to be true if the dealer was to get the part within a couple of weeks? I have an open case with the Chevrolet Customer Care and they said they will do everything they can to expedite the parts now that the vendor will be shipping them out again next week.
Totally depends on the dealer. Plenty of reasons for them to not sit on it and sell it somebody else. No credit from GM until sold, no commission for the salesperson until sold, etc.There is really no benefit to them to let it sit, but there are benefits to selling it.
Z Fast (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 03:46 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

​​​​​​For the Z06 the GM (Scrape Amor screens) requires full removal.of the front bumpers and then install of the screens and clips. It 2.5.hours (@$195/hour) for front bumper and then there's the labor for the install of the screen kit. Maybe they over estimated a little and they hope to come in a little less...the old.sddsge.of.under.promise.and over deliver. Either way this install is not as simple as.the Stingray installation that probably can easlily be done in an hour or less.
So initially you're complaining that the local dealer quoted you $1,100 to install parts. Turns out it's only screens (which are easy to install). And now you're defending the local dealer by stating book time is 2.5 hours to R&R the front facia. But that's still only ~$500. A little confused?

I find it hard to believe it would take trained techs more than an hour to remove the facia, install the screens, and reinstall the fascia, let alone 2.5 hours.

Old 05-16-2024, 05:08 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,038 Posts

I'm waiting on the Z06 radiator screens (a GM option made by Scrape Amor).

​​​​​
I just got a ZO6 in last Friday May 10th and we are waiting for the screens also. I have been on the phone couple of time with the SVO warehouse about where are they? Their answer we haven't received them from the vendor yet? Can I ask what state the dealer was in where you ordered from?
Old 05-16-2024, 05:29 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

So initially you're complaining that the local dealer quoted you $1,100 to install parts. Turns out it's only screens (which are easy to install). And now you're defending the local dealer by stating book time is 2.5 hours to R&R the front facia. But that's still only ~$500. A little confused?

I find it hard to believe it would take trained techs more than an hour to remove the facia, install the screens, and reinstall the fascia, let alone 2.5 hours.

https://youtu.be/Tw0LrhgX6Rs?si=-JmQ8_fBEe8pPKY_
Correct I'm not complaining about my local dealer as they have a right to cover their cost of time/labor. I bet they over estimated but they said they will only charge for the actual time. The only thing they know is the book time for R&R the bumper but they don't know the time necessary to install the screens and brackets. My "guess" is the doubled the R&R time as a very rough estimate since there is no book time for the screens screen installation. I have known the master mechanic for 18 years and they will do the right thing.

Basically your response tells me you still.don't understand what my concern is. If I take delivery of the car without the option I just want the selling dealer to cover the cost of the install...and they are more than welcome to directly pay the dealership that installs it. The dealer that is selling the car is getting paid by GM for the installation of the screens so they should be willing to pay another dealer to do what the couldn't. I don't want anything other than the option I ordered to be installed without any additional cost to me. Hope that makes sense now.
Old 05-16-2024, 05:43 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Basically your response tells me you still.don't understand what my concern is. If I take delivery of the car without the option I just want the selling dealer to cover the cost of the install...and they are more than welcome to directly pay the dealership that installs it. The dealer that is selling the car is getting paid by GM for the installation of the screens so they should be willing to pay another dealer to do what the couldn't. I don't want anything other than the option I ordered to be installed without any additional cost to me. Hope that makes sense now.
I do understand your concern, and addressed it in a previous post. I agree with you that the installation of the dealer-installed parts should be free to you regardless of which dealer installs them, because you have already paid for the installation as that was included in the cost of the option.

The issue (that I mentioned before) is the lack of customer service by the dealerships, and the lack of the selling dealer's willingness to forward payment for installation to the installing dealer. Like I said previously, the burden should not be on the customer (you) to get these parts installed. It should be worked out behind the scenes between the dealers.
Z Fast (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 06:35 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

I do understand your concern, and addressed it in a previous post. I agree with you that the installation of the dealer-installed parts should be free to you regardless of which dealer installs them, because you have already paid for the installation as that was included in the cost of the option.

The issue (that I mentioned before) is the lack of customer service by the dealerships, and the lack of the selling dealer's willingness to forward payment for installation to the installing dealer. Like I said previously, the burden should not be on the customer (you) to get these parts installed. It should be worked out behind the scenes between the dealers.
100% Agreed!
JABCAT (05-17-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 07:47 PM
TD20
Burning Brakes

Received 1,223 Likes on 488 Posts

Sadly, GM and most domestic brands/dealerships have crap customer service.
This is right here... This is my first american brand car and the service from the dealer near me has been straight ****. My honda dealer has always been great with great service.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:54 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Originally Posted by TD20
This is right here... This is my first american brand car and the service from the dealer near me has been straight ****. My honda dealer has always been great with great service.
It can be hit or miss when it comes to dealerships regardless of the brand. I gave ahd very good experience with my local dealership when to service, and to be honest my issue has nothing to do with the service department with the dealer I am purchasing the car from. The option in question backordered by GM because the 3rd party that makes the parts doesn't have any available at the moment. So it really comes down to the sales side of the business where the selling dealer really should step.up.to the plate and make sure I'm not hit with extra cost.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:09 PM
GR8C8
Racer

Received 289 Likes on 132 Posts

I am in this exact situation at the moment. I received a due bill for my accessories. I am having the radiator guards installed tomorrow. I'll circle back in a few weeks on the reimbursement process.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:55 PM
TD20
Burning Brakes

Received 1,223 Likes on 488 Posts

It can be hit or miss when it comes to dealerships regardless of the brand. I gave ahd very good experience with my local dealership when to service, and to be honest my issue has nothing to do with the service department with the dealer I am purchasing the car from. The option in question backordered by GM because the 3rd party that makes the parts doesn't have any available at the moment. So it really comes down to the sales side of the business where the selling dealer really should step.up.to the plate and make sure I'm not hit with extra cost.
It should be GM making sure that you're not taking the extra cost and working with any dealer in the nation that your car is right.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:05 AM
Z Fast
Drifting

Originally Posted by TD20
It should be GM making sure that you're not taking the extra cost and working with any dealer in the nation that your car is right.
I fully agree!!
Old 05-17-2024, 01:28 AM
Z Fast
Drifting

Originally Posted by GR8C8
I am in this exact situation at the moment. I received a due bill for my accessories. I am having the radiator guards installed tomorrow. I'll circle back in a few weeks on the reimbursement process.
Who sent to the bill....local dealer?

Also, who is are you hoping will reimburse you....the dealer who sold to the car or GM?

Get notified of new replies

To Question regarding backordered GM options

Old 05-17-2024, 01:45 AM
GR8C8
Racer

Received 289 Likes on 132 Posts

Who sent to the bill....local dealer?

Also, who is are you hoping will reimburse you....the dealer who sold to the car or GM?
My Dealer who sold me the car wrote up the due bill. My Dealer will reimburse me.
Old 05-17-2024, 04:17 AM
Z Fast
Drifting

Originally Posted by GR8C8
My Dealer who sold me the car wrote up the due bill. My Dealer will reimburse me.
Hope it all works out as promised. Definitely let us know.
Old 05-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Z Fast
Drifting

Default Update

​​​With persistence on my end (and possibly Customer Cares help) my dealers regional rep was able to locate the Scrape Armor screen kit for my car. If all goes according to plan the Scrape Amor radiator grille kit should be installed next week and then the Z06 will go on the transporter.

Quick Reply: Question regarding backordered GM options