Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Z07 or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 08:19 PM
rawbar
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,000 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by rcbracer
Question for anyone that owns a corvette with carbon brakes (I never have). Do you have any issues with squealing noises? I’ve driven a number of Porsches with carbon brakes and the sound varies from an almost imperceptible squeak to a horrendous finger nails on a chalk board sound so loud that when pulling up to an intersection everyone outside turns around to see where it’s coming from. Just trying to find out if GM’s implementation has that issue.
The squeaking is probably from someone running race compound brake pads. My stock PCCBs and pads on the Porsche were silent.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:21 PM
waltk88
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts

I plan to use the C8Z for fun road driving as well as track. Road driving would be a waste of the Cup 2 R, so will need to get a second set of wheels with Pilot Sport 4S or similarly versatile tires. At most, road use of the Cup 2 R would be to drive to the track and back.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:25 PM
dsevo
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 96 Posts

Question for anyone that owns a corvette with carbon brakes (I never have). Do you have any issues with squealing noises? I’ve driven a number of Porsches with carbon brakes and the sound varies from an almost imperceptible squeak to a horrendous finger nails on a chalk board sound so loud that when pulling up to an intersection everyone outside turns around to see where it’s coming from. Just trying to find out if GM’s implementation has that issue.
I've owned several PCCB cars, and none made noise.
The following users liked this post:
2cnd Chance (11-07-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 10:05 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Original owner of my ‘13 ZR1 with carbon ceramic brakes. Zero squealing noises so not an issue for me. I did burnish the brakes early in ownership.

Other Corvette owners have complained about squealing.

Last edited by Vernon; 10-27-2021 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:08 AM
techdaemon
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really wish they had done a better job making the rear wing in the Z07 package less annoying for daily use. It blocks even the view from digital rear view mirror in addition to making trunk access more difficult because it's mounted to the car behind the trunk and not on the rear hatch itself. It seems like the Z07 package really makes it much more suited for only occasional track use instead of a daily driver you can also take to the track so I'm leaning towards the base Z06 as well.
saleen556 (11-09-2021)
Old 11-06-2021, 12:16 AM
techdaemon
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thart53
Depending on cost I'm considering getting the base but adding the big wing as I like the look of it. I got Z51 on my C8 because it was "only" a $5,000 option at the time but with the Z06 if it starts creeping up into the $10,000 mark I likely will option without it. If its not a dedicated track car it seems like maybe you get diminishing returns if just driving on the street 99% of the time or am I missing something here? Again all dependent on price of the Z07 package but I do want that big wing..
If your car is otherwise the base Z06 I'd probably skip the wing because it blocks a very large portion of the rear view mirror, even the digital rear view mirror. Here's a YouTube video showing how the Z07 wing looks in both the regular rear view as well as the camera rear view mode:

It also blocks access to the trunk because it's mounted behind the hatch itself so you'll have to lift everything over the height of the wing to put things in or get things out which you can see earlier that same video:
Looks like it would make getting a set of golf clubs in or out of the car much more difficult unless you don't mind smacking things into the carbon fiber wing all the time!
Old 11-06-2021, 12:30 AM
Sophiejane1963
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by techdaemon
If your car is otherwise the base Z06 I'd probably skip the wing because it blocks a very large portion of the rear view mirror, even the digital rear view mirror. Here's a YouTube video showing how the Z07 wing looks in both the regular rear view as well as the camera rear view mode: https://youtu.be/oL2nSvCN2RY?t=1182

It also blocks access to the trunk because it's mounted behind the hatch itself so you'll have to lift everything over the height of the wing to put things in or get things out which you can see earlier that same video: https://youtu.be/oL2nSvCN2RY?t=634 Looks like it would make getting a set of golf clubs in or out of the car much more difficult unless you don't mind smacking things into the carbon fiber wing all the time!
Do they have a luggage rack option? How can I get two sets of clubs and my ole lady to the course?
Old 11-06-2021, 12:58 AM
BrakeFade
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

No Z07 for me. I’ve got a Carbon Fiber Track Pack GT500, so I’m just looking for a head turning cruiser at this point.
Old 11-06-2021, 09:22 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,262 Likes on 6,041 Posts

Lol… GM gives the most aggressive and efficient aero package ever offered in a Corvwtte and folks complain.

The Z07 package is a track oriented car… it’s not for your daily driver go to the golf course brag at a car show crowd.

Having had cars with wings:

1. You get used to the view out the back.

2. You load the trunk from the side. Same as the C7 ZR1 ZTK.
The following 4 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
2cnd Chance (11-07-2021), hamta (11-06-2021), MikeR397 (11-06-2021), PurpleLion (11-08-2021)
Old 11-06-2021, 09:55 AM
cmb396
Le Mans Master

Received 334 Likes on 141 Posts
CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran

I like the aero package so will be checking that box. Really want orange calipers for my build, but don't nec need or want the ccb. I know calipers get painted every day, but I don't really want to be pulling brand new calipers off a 100k+ car just to get them painted or powdercoated.
Propspinner (11-07-2021)
Old 11-06-2021, 10:09 AM
MikeR397
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by techdaemon
I really wish they had done a better job making the rear wing in the Z07 package less annoying for daily use. It blocks even the view from digital rear view mirror in addition to making trunk access more difficult because it's mounted to the car behind the trunk and not on the rear hatch itself. It seems like the Z07 package really makes it much more suited for only occasional track use instead of a daily driver you can also take to the track so I'm leaning towards the base Z06 as well.
is there not a back up screen on the center display in unobstructed beautiful resolution as well? How many times do you spend in reverse my man!? Try backing up in a old school exotic without camera backup, then you have something to complain about, but yes, not every 670hp car should be suited primarily for hopping down the the local shop to fill the truck. Consumers have plenty of choices for that, like a hellcat. Hell, Chevy literally is offering the z06 without the big wing and people complain there is an option for the big wing bc it will make reversing difficult?!

Last edited by MikeR397; 11-06-2021 at 10:49 AM.
LV_V (11-09-2021)
Old 11-06-2021, 10:23 AM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,650 Likes on 817 Posts

No Z07 pkg. for me! The standard Z06 will be fine for me!
Old 11-06-2021, 11:01 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

For me.... not. I'm never going to track it.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:50 PM
Dcdangerz
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
Lol… GM gives the most aggressive and efficient aero package ever offered in a Corvwtte and folks complain.

The Z07 package is a track oriented car… it’s not for your daily driver go to the golf course brag at a car show crowd.

Having had cars with wings:

1. You get used to the view out the back.

2. You load the trunk from the side. Same as the C7 ZR1 ZTK.
On point
GM developed the C8 to be a high performance vehicle that can and will see years of upgrades and performance enhancements. Why wouldn't you want to have every performance option offered on a vehicle that can take advantage of them.
Old 11-07-2021, 02:01 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 977 Likes on 533 Posts

Never an issue here.
Old 11-07-2021, 10:17 PM
HMDS
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by rawbar
This is why Porsche peeps with PCCBs that track their cars generally remove their carbon ceramic rotors and store them away until they sell the car. Carbon ceramic rotors can also chip if hit hard with debris and would require replacement.

when I was doing the cost comparison for my c7z to a turbo s I found that the Porsche peeps were paying more for the iron rotors they swapped on than I was paying for carbon disks and pads for the vette - so I kept the carbons.

everyone is different with different analysis.

At some point you gotta pay to play but where you pay is your perogative.

Old 11-08-2021, 12:43 AM
Cerberus
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Cup 2R tire life?

How many miles would you expect on a modestly street driven car?

If I am fortunate enough to get the opportunity purchase.a z06, I am leaning towards the z07 for the aero package looks and dust free CCBs. However, I'd much prefer the Pilot 4s tires for longer tire wear since my intended use is a weekend cruiser.

Just curious what to expect.

Get notified of new replies

To Z07 or not?

Old 11-08-2021, 05:22 AM
Savoy2001
Melting Slicks

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Originally Posted by CerberusM5
How many miles would you expect on a modestly street driven car?

If I am fortunate enough to get the opportunity purchase.a z06, I am leaning towards the z07 for the aero package looks and dust free CCBs. However, I'd much prefer the Pilot 4s tires for longer tire wear since my intended use is a weekend cruiser.

Just curious what to expect.
I think you can expect 2-3k miles which is ridiculous for the street at 1k a tire. Which is why I probably won’t go z07 just z07 aero and possibly ccb. Not sure on the ccb yet. Not taking the ps4’s is just silly for a street car imo. Not to mention if ever caught in rain unexpectedly those tires are horrible in wet weather.
The following 2 users liked this post by Savoy2001:
ArmchairArchitect (11-10-2021), Cerberus (11-08-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 11:11 AM
EasyLivin
Race Director

Received 3,160 Likes on 1,359 Posts

I'm staring to rethink the Z07 package and now I might check that box... Looking at Viper values and the difference between the ACR Extreme and the few Regular ACR's and the T/A cars, there's an insane plus side difference on resale and appreciation of the ACR Extreme cars. I know Corvettes aren't as rare as Vipers and they still make Corvettes but the ICE Corvette days are numbered and there will always be way more Corvette buyers than Viper buyers... Just look at the demand for the C8 Z06 being almost sold out before the first customer delivery. One could argue that the C8 Z06 is already rare no less the Z07. Depending on my circumstances when my number is called to order my Z06, I may just keep my Stingray in addition to the Z07 or trade in the C8 Stingray and get another prior gen Corvette or some other Sports car convertible for more frequent use and then just put another lift in the garage.
The following 2 users liked this post by EasyLivin:
ArmchairArchitect (11-10-2021), bcmarly (11-08-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 12:19 PM
Cerberus
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by EasyLivin
I'm staring to rethink the Z07 package and now I might check that box... Looking at Viper values and the difference between the ACR Extreme and the few Regular ACR's and the T/A cars, there's an insane plus side difference on resale and appreciation of the ACR Extreme cars. I know Corvettes aren't as rare as Vipers and they still make Corvettes but the ICE Corvette days are numbered and there will always be way more Corvette buyers than Viper buyers... Just look at the demand for the C8 Z06 being almost sold out before the first customer delivery. One could argue that the C8 Z06 is already rare no less the Z07. Depending on my circumstances when my number is called to order my Z06, I may just keep my Stingray in addition to the Z07 or trade in the C8 Stingray and get another prior gen Corvette or some other Sports car convertible for more frequent use and then just put another lift in the garage.

Does anyone know what percent of C7 z06's were ordered w/ the z07 package?

Quick Reply: Z07 or not?