Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

LT6 engine failures/problems

Old 04-30-2024, 06:02 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Received 5,090 Likes on 1,867 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon's Z
I love all Corvettes and especially the C4 ZR-1. GM did an excellent job of testing the LT5 before it went into the new Z. Ford and GM use to do actual endurance testing with engine builders and drivers. Now we leave to the brilliant AI. Just a sign of the times. 180K price for a new hot rod and the engine blow. I hope GM gets in front of this. It been going to long. I hope to drive a ZR-1 soon!
I haven't seen any reports of a C8 Z06 engine failure in a long time. This thread is over a year old at this point. There is about 10,000 of these cars on the road now. If there were widespread engine failures people would be talking about it.
The following 3 users liked this post by smithers:
Car Junkie 24 (05-01-2024), GatorsJMC (05-01-2024), lewislgZ06 (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 01:52 PM
Car Junkie 24
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by smithers
I haven't seen any reports of a C8 Z06 engine failure in a long time. This thread is over a year old at this point. There is about 10,000 of these cars on the road now. If there were widespread engine failures people would be talking about it.
Exactly why I think this thread should mirror the sticky thread in the C8 General Forum and just name it "C8 Z06 Problems".
Old 05-01-2024, 07:02 PM
Preshenne
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Preshenne
Have New Z06 waiting at the dealers. Asked for engine run recording. I am not skilled in the dreaded "LT6 Ticking" noise. How does this one sound?
OK - now have 330 miles. Sounds good cold but this when hot. Is this the dreaded Z06 ticking?

Attached Files
File Type: mov
Short Z06 hot RHS IMG_9212.MOV (8.83 MB, 56 views)
Old 05-01-2024, 07:56 PM
GatorsJMC
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts

My suggestion, put more miles on it and have the Picoscan done. That will show graphic evidence of what your ears (and suspicion) can only guess at.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:52 PM
Preshenne
Instructor

Originally Posted by GatorsJMC
My suggestion, put more miles on it and have the Picoscan done. That will show graphic evidence of what your ears (and suspicion) can only guess at.
Good. Thanks for the recommendation. Will do.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:19 AM
minn19
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 162 Likes on 94 Posts

OK - now have 330 miles. Sounds good cold but this when hot. Is this the dreaded Z06 ticking?
Mine and a couple of others here sound like that. But mine is reversed, when it warms up it goes away, I don’t hear it when I’m driving and doesn’t affect the drivability. Everyone is different on their tolerance of what bothers them, it doesn’t bother me at all. I’d be more worried about a subpar dealer causing bigger issues than the mechanical noise of the LT6.

Last edited by minn19; 05-02-2024 at 09:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Phil1098 (05-08-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 09:37 AM
Preshenne
Instructor

Originally Posted by minn19
Mine and a couple of others here sound like that. But mine is revered, when it warms up it goes away, I don’t hear it when I’m driving and doesn’t affect the drivability. Everyone is different on their tolerance of what bothers them, it doesn’t bother me at all. I’d be more worried about a subpar dealer causing bigger issues than the mechanical noise of the LT6.
Thanks for the response. Interesting how its reversed!. I cannot hear the tapping while driving either. I note it when I stop and only with windows down or standing outside with it running. I am going to drive on and see what happens.

I do worry about a local small dealer tearing into it as a learning experience. However, I just had a C7 Z06 squawking pilot bearing replaced by same dealer. This repair was driveline disassembly from rear end to flywheel. They pulled it off without a hitch and the squawking is gone. So... maybe they have some skilled mechanics.
minn19 (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 09:49 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,503 Likes on 907 Posts

True
Very curious how the solid, non-adjustable valvetrain will hold up over time.
Preshenne (05-02-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 08:15 AM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,905 Likes on 4,743 Posts

Originally Posted by acroy
True
Very curious how the solid, non-adjustable valvetrain will hold up over time.
They claim at 100,000 miles it's still in spec. Time will tell, but with a 60,000 drivetrain warranty, they would be in a really bad place if all were shot by 50,000 miles.
Car Junkie 24 (05-14-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 01:34 PM
BenThere
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, s---. I got the same noise. Just ~900 miles. Came back from a short drive up to Tortilla Flat on some nice twisties to get used to the car a little better after a very careful, fully compliant per the instructions in the manual 500 mile initial break-in. Still getting the "feel" of the car, so I wasn't really pushing it - not at all - like I said, still getting familiar with what the car can do. Got home, noticed tihe noise, re-read the germane bits in this thread, listened again to the motor with a stethescope (yeah, that's it, that's the infamous ticking), and immediately made an appointment with the dealer to check it out. Apt is tomorrow morning. Note the engine builder's signature......

Not excited at all if the motor has to come out for "remediation", especially if this dealer has to do it, haven't had the best luck with this particular dealer with my truck and my '08 Z06 since they changed ownership. Don't want some not so skilled "technician" learning on my new Z, especially if it was the guy who did the dealer prep work on my truck (long story.....).

Maybe we can have Jason fly out to do the work ?

Note: I'm not implying in any way that Jason Neal did something wrong in the assembly. I'm sure he knows how to build an LT6. Just (sarcastically) don't want some inexperienced technician "learning" on my $150K+ car if it needs serious work.

N
Preshenne (06-05-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 01:52 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,503 Likes on 907 Posts

Solid, non-adjustable 9k rpm valvetrain Not sure how this is gonna work out long term
Old 06-05-2024, 01:56 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,905 Likes on 4,743 Posts

Originally Posted by BenThere
Well, s---. I got the same noise. Just ~900 miles. Came back from a short drive up to Tortilla Flat on some nice twisties to get used to the car a little better after a very careful, fully compliant per the instructions in the manual 500 mile initial break-in. Still getting the "feel" of the car, so I wasn't really pushing it - not at all - like I said, still getting familiar with what the car can do. Got home, noticed tihe noise, re-read the germane bits in this thread, listened again to the motor with a stethescope (yeah, that's it, that's the infamous ticking), and immediately made an appointment with the dealer to check it out. Apt is tomorrow morning. Note the engine builder's signature......

Not excited at all if the motor has to come out for "remediation", especially if this dealer has to do it, haven't had the best luck with this particular dealer with my truck and my '08 Z06 since they changed ownership. Don't want some not so skilled "technician" learning on my new Z, especially if it was the guy who did the dealer prep work on my truck (long story.....).

Note: I'm not implying in any way that Jason Neal did something wrong in the assembly. I'm sure he knows how to build an LT6. Just (sarcastically) don't want some inexperienced technician "learning" on my $150K+ car if it needs serious work.
I honestly think it's characteristic of this engine. Even the TSB says it may only be a marginal improvement. I.E. it's just how they are. You've got a direct injection system (that are loud ticking systems to begin with) and the LT6 runs up to 5,000PSI + vs. 2,900 in LT2. The increased pressure will make them tick even louder. The other thing to think about is this, if it was fine when it was zero miles, and now in only 500 miles it's doing damage, why open it up? If it's truly got a problem then the damage is done, they don't squirt a tube of Self Heal into the engine. The only thing the TSB does is reseat some cam caps. When mine is hot and being driven slowly through my neighborhood, it makes all kinds of sounds. I won't be doing anything with it because nothing will be accomplished. I look forward to driving mine every chance I get, don't over think this, it's not made by Singer.
BenThere (06-05-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 02:18 PM
GatorsJMC
Drifting

Originally Posted by BenThere

N
I dare say there aren't too many dealer mechanics who have experience working on the LT6 and this was my concern as well when the left bank had come apart for the TSB.
Unfortunately, This will change.

Last edited by GatorsJMC; 06-05-2024 at 02:29 PM.
BenThere (06-05-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 02:25 PM
GatorsJMC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Phil1098
I honestly think it's characteristic of this engine. Even the TSB says it may only be a marginal improvement. I.E. it's just how they are. You've got a direct injection system (that are loud ticking systems to begin with) and the LT6 runs up to 5,000PSI + vs. 2,900 in LT2. The increased pressure will make them tick even louder. The other thing to think about is this, if it was fine when it was zero miles, and now in only 500 miles it's doing damage, why open it up? If it's truly got a problem then the damage is done, they don't squirt a tube of Self Heal into the engine. The only thing the TSB does is reseat some cam caps. When mine is hot and being driven slowly through my neighborhood, it makes all kinds of sounds. I won't be doing anything with it because nothing will be accomplished. I look forward to driving mine every chance I get, don't over think this, it's not made by Singer.
This is exactly the results of my TSB repair, left bank, cam cap resets. A marginal improvement (reduction) in tapping sound, about 600 mi ago, which seems to be increasing again, or it may just be my imagination. Either way, I'm going back for a PICOSCAN to have it evaluated.
I'm ok with noisy as long as it's not destructive noisy.
BenThere (06-05-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 02:48 PM
Preshenne
Instructor

Default Ticking

Now over 600. Ticking still there. I am just going to drive on. If it self destructs, GM will owe me a new motor. I also have a 62 340 HP with solid lifters. I treat that racket as the music of high performance. Will do same here. I have read the service bulletin. It only loosens the brackets one turn and re-seats. That is not a very positive action by any interpretation. Not worth the risk of messing with major disassembly
The following 4 users liked this post by Preshenne:
BenThere (06-05-2024), Carl44 (06-06-2024), Don Roberto (06-05-2024), Phil1098 (06-06-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 03:36 PM
Don Roberto
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 68 Posts

Like others have said, these engines make noise. No where have I read that if the valve train is making that it is doing any damage and as the last post says they have a nice long warranty on the engine if this turns out not to be the case. I drive my Z06 all over and never give it a thought because I'm not listening for ticks I'm listening for the ROAR from the exhaust which is music to my ears especially in Z mode where you get that wonderful burbling sound from decel!
The following 4 users liked this post by Don Roberto:
BenThere (06-05-2024), GatorsJMC (06-06-2024), Phil1098 (06-05-2024), Preshenne (06-05-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 04:13 PM
Preshenne
Instructor

Default Ticking

I agree. Open sound programmed into my mode. It is glorious
BenThere (06-05-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To LT6 engine failures/problems

Old 06-05-2024, 04:51 PM
BenThere
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil1098
Yeah, well if it's a characteristic of the motor, I want the dealer/Chevrolet to tell me that - on record. I also want a record that I identified and presented the issue to the dealer. I get the thing about the injectors, especially on a DI engine, but my Chevrolet Truck (6.2) is also DI, so I know the sound. As I mentioned above, I ran a stethoscope all over what I could reach on the motor and I can identify and tell the difference between the injectors ticking and what I can hear in the top end on the back left side of the motor. But I'm in violent agreement with you about not opening it up, or not letting a questionably qualified technician open it up if it's not doing any damage/characteristic of the motor. I'll just drive it the way it's designed to drive, track and all.

Originally Posted by GatorsJMC
This is exactly the results of my TSB repair, left bank, cam cap resets. A marginal improvement (reduction) in tapping sound, about 600 mi ago, which seems to be increasing again, or it may just be my imagination. Either way, I'm going back for a PICOSCAN to have it evaluated.
I'm ok with noisy as long as it's not destructive noisy.
Yep. I'm in your space.

Now over 600. Ticking still there. I am just going to drive on. If it self destructs, GM will owe me a new motor. I also have a 62 340 HP with solid lifters. I treat that racket as the music of high performance. Will do same here. I have read the service bulletin. It only loosens the brackets one turn and re-seats. That is not a very positive action by any interpretation. Not worth the risk of messing with major disassembly
Agreed, as long as it's not doing any damage.

Originally Posted by Don Roberto
Like others have said, these engines make noise. No where have I read that if the valve train is making that it is doing any damage and as the last post says they have a nice long warranty on the engine if this turns out not to be the case. I drive my Z06 all over and never give it a thought because I'm not listening for ticks I'm listening for the ROAR from the exhaust which is music to my ears especially in Z mode where you get that wonderful burbling sound from decel!
God, I love this car, and the music it makes is glorious! The more I drive it, the more I want to drive it. Here's the thing, I started my working life as a mechanic back in the days when we did everything on any car in the shop, front ends, transmissions, rear ends, engines, everything. Been a gearhead my whole life and have hot rodded, owne, and driven all kinds of machines. I listen to EVERYTHING, and my OCD compels me to identify and fix (if it's "fixable") everything I hear, see, or feel. Listening to the sounds and sensations from a high-performance machine, visualizing all the stuff that's going on in there, appreciating what it's function is and how well it's doing it's thing, all part of the experience and enjoyment, especially something as sophisticated as a LT6 Z06.

Anyway, thanks to all y'all for your comments and observations. That's the great thing about this forum. we can talk about this stuff and kick it around a little. I appreciate all your comments. Thanks again! I'll let y'all know how things get on.
Old 06-06-2024, 06:11 AM
First Vette Z06
Pro

Received 599 Likes on 247 Posts

You can add me to the list of engine failures. VIN 652. Engine was starting rough in November. In December one day it wouldn’t turn over. Had it towed to the dealership, they tore it down, claimed there was scoring in multiple cylinders, and replaced the whole engine (took until March). Got the car back and within a week the transmission was throwing temperature warnings in 50 degree weather driving 35 min on a local highway. Now waiting for a new transmission.

My Z has been in the shop for almost 6 months now. Was around 9k miles on it when the engine failed.
Old 06-06-2024, 08:40 AM
jswatek
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by First Vette Z06
You can add me to the list of engine failures. VIN 652. Engine was starting rough in November. In December one day it wouldn’t turn over. Had it towed to the dealership, they tore it down, claimed there was scoring in multiple cylinders, and replaced the whole engine (took until March). Got the car back and within a week the transmission was throwing temperature warnings in 50 degree weather driving 35 min on a local highway. Now waiting for a new transmission.

My Z has been in the shop for almost 6 months now. Was around 9k miles on it when the engine failed.
Ouch! Sorry to hear this. Hope it works out for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT6 engine failures/problems