Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Z06 Flipping

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 10:16 AM
alekscpi
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

But why is everyone assuming Chevy voids the warranty. Based on no one complaining on this forum their warranty was voided in starting to think it’s all just talk and the aren’t voiding anyone’s warranty. I’d love if someone could prove me wrong here and I’d love to chat further with said person. Again I’m starting to think they don’t exist.

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
#1 As a buyer I would not buy a car and leave it titled in the seller's name.
#2 As a seller I would not let the buyer keep the car in my name. Liability.
#3 I would not give a seller a substantial deposit and wait 5 or 6 months to complete the purchase
#4 It's not worth the risk of having the warranty voided or having to fight GM about whether the 6 month restriction is legal. Even if you did manage to win It would cost you a ton in lawyer fees and the car would sit for months or years without being repaired.

Bottom line, in reality, is if you care about the warranty play by the rules. If you aren't concerned about the warranty go for it.
The following users liked this post:
Tally Ho (04-14-2024)
Old 12-09-2023, 10:18 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Originally Posted by alekscpi
It’s automated for every z06 they get notification at 6 months hey this had a title change and at that point Chevy puts it in black list? what about title changing from person to business? Or from husband to wife or to remove two people from title to only one? Those aren’t sales per se and not flipping but would have title update and how would Chevy know the purpose of the change?
It would seem you asked the question wanting a certain answer and want to challenge those with a different opinion. As a retired GM dealer of many decades, I know just a little of how the process works.

The process, if GM chooses to exercise it, is simple. The title changes hands and GM can flag the serial number on their system. When the dealer writes up the vehicle in the service drive, this flagged serial number will be detected. Should the dealer make a warranty claim, GM simply turns it down.

If the owner then wants to challenge that it would be their prerogative to contact GM and make an appeal. Should the title change be from husband to wife, individual to single ownership business, or some other explanation, I am sure a conversation would take place.

Whether or not GM is actually taking the step to void a warranty on a Z06, reports on this Forum say they are. Since I neither own one nor presently service any of them...I can't personally attest to it. I can though guarantee, you can rest assured, GM has the capability to know when the car title is changed. I can also guarantee you from dealing with it extensively, it would be a very stupid move to leave the title open for any length of time between two individuals.
The following 7 users liked this post by JALLEN4:
JABCAT (12-10-2023), JerryU (12-09-2023), kromdom (12-09-2023), RocketRob (12-09-2023), undecided1965 (12-09-2023), Undy (12-10-2023), Wyldfyer (12-10-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-09-2023, 10:29 AM
alekscpi
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

Fantastic insight and I’m aware they have access but again just curious who is managing it. If it is at the local dealer service dept level that seems you just need to go be friends with service advisor. If GM is serious about this they must manage it at Corp.
overall the agreement seems to be GM pulls or gets info from state system as long as no title adjustments happen car is good. Question still belong who to talk to if car flagged for a non flipper like husband wife or maybe even friend to friend. Everyone’s financial situation changes suddenly with the economy we are in and maybe when order person could afford it and then some event happen and needed to sell car. There was no intent to flip again no sure who the deciding body is if one even exists.

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
It would seem you asked the question wanting a certain answer and want to challenge those with a different opinion. As a retired GM dealer of many decades, I know just a little of how the process works.

The process, if GM chooses to exercise it, is simple. The title changes hands and GM can flag the serial number on their system. When the dealer writes up the vehicle in the service drive, this flagged serial number will be detected. Should the dealer make a warranty claim, GM simply turns it down.

If the owner then wants to challenge that it would be their prerogative to contact GM and make an appeal. Should the title change be from husband to wife, individual to single ownership business, or some other explanation, I am sure a conversation would take place.

Whether or not GM is actually taking the step to void a warranty on a Z06, reports on this Forum say they are. Since I neither own one nor presently service any of them...I can't personally attest to it. I can though guarantee, you can rest assured, GM has the capability to know when the car title is changed. I can also guarantee you from dealing with it extensively, it would be a very stupid move to leave the title open for any length of time between two individuals.
Old 12-09-2023, 10:31 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,135 Likes on 998 Posts

But why is everyone assuming Chevy voids the warranty. Based on no one complaining on this forum their warranty was voided in starting to think it’s all just talk and the aren’t voiding anyone’s warranty. I’d love if someone could prove me wrong here and I’d love to chat further with said person. Again I’m starting to think they don’t exist.
Most likely because most, if not all, buyers of pre-owned ZO6s have purchased after the 6 month period and the few that bought before 6 months didn't care about the warranty. Maybe because they planned on modding the car etc.

I would not want to be the 1st to try.
Old 12-09-2023, 10:35 AM
rkrupka
Pro

Received 294 Likes on 182 Posts

Fantastic insight and I’m aware they have access but again just curious who is managing it. If it is at the local dealer service dept level that seems you just need to go be friends with service advisor. If GM is serious about this they must manage it at Corp.
overall the agreement seems to be GM pulls or gets info from state system as long as no title adjustments happen car is good. Question still belong who to talk to if car flagged for a non flipper like husband wife or maybe even friend to friend. Everyone’s financial situation changes suddenly with the economy we are in and maybe when order person could afford it and then some event happen and needed to sell car. There was no intent to flip again no sure who the deciding body is if one even exists.
"Everyone’s financial situation changes suddenly with the economy we are in and maybe when order person could afford it and then some event happen and needed to sell car. There was no intent to flip again no sure who the deciding body is if one even exists."
Then they would not take delivery if things changed.
Old 12-09-2023, 10:41 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

You are trying to talk yourself into something in spite of the factual information posted. Intent to flip doesn't matter. Geez if it did everyone would say they never intended to flip it.

To be clear. If you have a warranty claim and take the car to the dealer the dealer submits for warranty reimbursement authorization to corporate before they do the work.

I would also assume GM has given marching orders to the dealer to verify C8 ZO6s meet the warranty restrictions.
The following 5 users liked this post by Vega$Vette:
Carvin (12-11-2023), JerryU (12-09-2023), kromdom (12-09-2023), Samuel Clemens (12-09-2023), Undy (12-10-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 10:50 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

GM has 90,800 employees in the U.S. alone. There is no shortage of people to manage the system. Warranty is not managed on a local dealership basis. You do the job according to Policy and Procedure and then you submit to GM through the computer system for payment.

Should the consumer think their vehicle warranty was improperly flagged, you call GM Customer Service whose number is in every owners manual or available from the dealer. That generally is a real treat like very other manufacturer I represented. As far as "intent" my experience would say GM won't care. Having dealt with them for decades on a daily basis, they are not prone to issuing statements they have no intention to enforce.
kromdom (12-09-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 11:20 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

I do recall the rumor that if someone did fall on hard times because of medical or job loss etc. GM would allow the owner to sell the car back to the dealer and keep the warranty intact. Obviously if this was the case the dealer would be probably be paying less than MSRP and the seller would not recover the taxes and fees paid.
kromdom (12-09-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 11:31 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,237 Likes on 616 Posts

Thanks for answering about zero of my questions above. Gold star for your opinion.
Your question has been answered multiple times in this thread but you seem to refuse it or just argue it away as if it would not matter. GM has absolutely no need to monitor the warranty status of these cars (or any cars they manufacture) on a daily basis and so I highly doubt that they waste time doing that. What they will do is task someone to spend as much time necessary to decide of the car you are attempting to make a warranty claim on is actually valid. Specifically Z06's that have this 6 month exclusion attached.

As has already been stated multiple times in this thread, you will be perfectly fine purchasing this car that YOU KNOW does not have a valid warranty until you or someone else (in the event you sell it while still in the normal warranty period) tries to make a warranty claim. This is the only time the warranty on any vehicle matters. If you actually care about the warranty (which it seems you do from all of the same questions in this thread) then purchase the car in a manner that leaves no question about it's validity.
The following 4 users liked this post by JDSKY:
cal45 (12-09-2023), kromdom (12-09-2023), Samuel Clemens (12-09-2023), Undy (12-10-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 11:43 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 855 Posts

Great discussions on this thread w/the point & counterpoint. I almost became a Z flipper myself.
Old 12-09-2023, 11:54 AM
BillytheKidder
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Is it conceivable that GM has some type of lien placed on the car/title at the time of the original sale, that must be cleared?
Old 12-09-2023, 11:54 AM
70vetteinpieces
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

No one seems to mention time. Let's say you have transmission go out and the car is taken to a dealer for service. They call you we cannot fix this under warranty. so the car sits at the dealership unless you have it towed home. You get a lawyer - 6- months year or more before it's settled? So you won't be enjoying the car for that time - and that's assuming you'll win.......
Old 12-09-2023, 01:40 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,682 Likes on 6,669 Posts

^^^^
Yep, as I said in Post #12, if the OP (who is trying everyway he can to justify the purchase,) just buys it and lets it sit unregistered until 6 months are up any warranty issue (assuming the car doesn't have one now) will happen when the car is past the sale block!
Old 12-09-2023, 02:03 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,682 Likes on 6,669 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyrules727
Another perspective.... How long will the car be sitting until the 6 month window is met? Z06 values are going down and while it seems like you have no problem with the current asking price, it would slightly agitate me that I don't have use of the car while it sits until the 6 month window and now the value of the car dropped to where you could have saved even more money during that time or found a car with the warranty intact for the same price. I get that is being speculative, but it would be a consideration for me given market trends.
Good point! I sold my 2020 C8 Z51, MRC a month ago and Kelly Bluebook gave me an estimate of value. Although lower than I was able to sell it for (had on Autotrader for $82,500 where there were a number of comps) they just sent me an unsolicited new estimate value $3000 lower than their 1st! I looked at comps now and some are only $79,000 or less, lower than a month ago.

Frankly with inflation, high auto loan fees and some dealers apparently able to get new cars built quickly, things have changed. Suspect the flipping prices will reduce significantly! GOOD!
Old 12-09-2023, 04:43 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^^
Yep, as I said in Post #12, if the OP (who is trying everyway he can to justify the purchase,) just buys it and lets it sit unregistered until 6 months are up any warranty issue (assuming the car doesn't have one now) will happen when the car is past the sale block!
The OP stated there is a Lien on the car.

If the buyer gives the payoff money to the seller and the seller pays it off and gets the title it he could hold off registering and driving it for 6 months. But if the seller is required to notify the DMV of the sale date that's a no go.

As stated before I would not want to keep the car in my name and my insurance with somebody else owning/driving.

And as noted a good deal now may not be so good 6 months from now.
kromdom (12-09-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 05:13 PM
switchlanez
Drifting

Received 1,267 Likes on 710 Posts

Try to find out the latest point in time possible for when you need to get it registered. There's possibly several months of leeway which may put you over the 6 month threshold officially in legal documentation.

Edit: I guess the sale date matters. See if the DMV will let the seller write in a future sale date else negotiate a way for the seller to sell it to you after the 6 months are up.
Old 12-09-2023, 05:20 PM
Ghost 23
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 120 Posts

What would be wrong with a lease having an option to purchase, fixed in time and price?

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Flipping

Old 12-09-2023, 06:19 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Do people seriously get involved in some of these hare brained schemes being brought up or is it just pure speculation? You're going to give a total stranger tens of thousands of dollars so he can pay off his Corvette. Then, if he doesn't get run over by a truck in the interval, your just going to trust he will give you that title at the six month mark. In the meantime, who has the insurance and who gets sued when the non-owner runs it into a tree showing his neighbor how fast it is! The answer is both...if anyone has a scratch. Do people really not understand enough to not take those kind of chances? And a lease? Half the people in the business don't understand the actual legalities of that situation!
The following 2 users liked this post by JALLEN4:
kromdom (12-09-2023), maverickmk (12-22-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 06:25 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Super simple answer. EVERY dealer can see the in-service date and original owner name of any GM vehicle sold in the US. All they have to do to verify if it's original owner, is ask for an ID. But the better question in this case is if somebody flips a Z06 before 6 months, is the entire warranty void, or just the first 6 months? I'd assume they can't legally void it entirely, so probably it resumes after 6 months, meaning new owner only has 2-1/2 years left (or 36K miles), correct?
Old 12-09-2023, 06:32 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JCtx
Super simple answer. EVERY dealer can see the in-service date and original owner name of any GM vehicle sold in the US. All they have to do to verify if it's original owner, is ask for an ID. But the better question in this case is if somebody flips a Z06 before 6 months, is the entire warranty void, or just the first 6 months? I'd assume they can't legally void it entirely, so probably it resumes after 6 months, meaning new owner only has 2-1/2 years left (or 36K miles), correct?
No, they can void the entire warranty. Happens more often than you might think for various reasons. I have never seen a warranty voided for a short period of time. That kind of nullifies the whole purpose? They just wait a few weeks to get it fixed?

As far as asking for an ID...I don't care as a dealer who is getting the car worked on. The warranty is on the car until it is not...not the individual.

Quick Reply: Z06 Flipping