Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Blind spot monitoring fiasco

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 04:10 PM
ShadyVette
Racer

Received 197 Likes on 123 Posts

I think the point from the OP is that the tech is now cheap and for a $100k car should be included in the base price. I’d agree and argue the camera for the rear view is also cheap enough that it should just be there.

The “evidence” that it’s cheap is that in 2012 in a $23k Mazda 3 it had the monitors included and in 2015 the Sante Fe also included the feature.

And we all know that the wiring harnesses include the ability to support any build so not having the feature isn’t saving any weight.

But if someone is on the fence about a 2LZ the blind spot warning might push it over the edge. The the rear view camera availability would be why I’d get a 2LZ. Car companies bundle all kinds of weird crap to get money out of folks and it’s not new.

Having had it in a few cars it’s nice to get the warning to save the initial head turn
Old 05-09-2024, 04:25 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,392 Likes on 2,078 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetolso
The people saying “adjust the mirrors” are on crack. You can help it, but not eliminate it. The degree of certainty you’re comfortable with is up to you. I prefer to turn the head (consistent with good driving, btw) if questions remain at the time of a lane change.

Defending GM not including it in the 1LZ (independent of your thoughts about its utility) is plain old stupid contrarianism. $20K Hyundais have excellent blind spot CAMERAS. Makes no sense.

Same goes for temperature-controlled seats.
You are right it if GM were like other manufacturers they would up the price to the Porsche GT3 level and include the sensors that Porsche doesn't. Would you be satisfied then? Of would just find something else to complain about for what is supposed to be a sports car first. Something that the driver should be very engaged to drive, instead of depending on electronics to keep you out of wrecks.

Next you will say it should Automatic emergency Braking, and stupid auto distance keeping cruise control, or even self driving Super Cruise.

No sympathy here. Oh and no blind spot in normal driving and the blind spot you have on merging at an angle will not be helped by the sensor. That require more astute driving and planning ahead.

The safety features included on lower end cars are because the target audience is people who don't care about driving, and would prefer to be passengers riding in the driver's seat, as much as they can afford. That is not the target demographic for Corvettes.
The following users liked this post:
JABCAT (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 04:25 PM
westsdad
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadyVette
And we all know that the wiring harnesses include the ability to support any build so not having the feature isn’t saving any weight.
This wasn't true (wire harnesses including the ability to support any build) for the C7 and haven't seen anything conclusive for the C8 that it has changed yet.

Here's a post showing what it took to install OEM front cameras to a C7 that did not have the option from the factory. Cliff notes are that it took harnesses, parts, and a lot of work.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ding-this.html
Old 05-09-2024, 04:33 PM
Jetolso
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by westsdad
Nope some of us are not missing the point by a mile, you're just not understanding the 1LZ base level nor getting the response that you thought you would.

The 1LZ base level has traditionally been either a lower cost option for those that want a lower cost Corvette (and can do without the "missing" options), and / or a lower weight option for those that tend to track their Corvette. What a concept that a track inspired Z06 would be used for.

So adding safety nannies at the 1LZ base level would add both cost and weight that would negate what the 1LZ base level Z06 is for the "typical" buyer at that trim level.
Blind spot monitoring, memory seats, and a garage opener are not heavy (especially because the infrastructure for the system already exists given its availability in other trim levels), and will not affect track times.

Locking those features behind a higher trim level is a strategy to get you to pay >10 times more than something is worth and boost their bottom line.

The objective truth is that GM is overcharging for basic features that are standard in most cars. This is not 1999.

Almost like saying - "if you want a cupholder (or a dome light, or whatever other basic feature you can think of), it will be available only in our higher levels" - when it would cost near nothing to make it available for the base model.

You want to happily pay it and get ripped off. I want to complain about it, pay only for the 1LZ, and prefer this not be an issue for future model years.

Last edited by Jetolso; 05-09-2024 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-09-2024, 04:36 PM
Rapid Z
Safety Car

Received 3,710 Likes on 1,537 Posts

HOW TF does GM have the ***** to lock blind spot monitoring under a trim level upgrade in a $100,000+ car?

I can’t believe I am the only one pissed about this.

This is the reason why I got a 1LZ (Z07), mostly out of principle/protest. Clearly not enough of a reason for me not to get the car though :-)

GM, if you eyeball these forums: be best, and cut the crap for the next model years.
Absolutely 110% agree. I don’t know of any manufacturer that doesn’t include it now even on economy cars. It’s ridiculous.

Last edited by Rapid Z; 05-09-2024 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-09-2024, 04:42 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 9,090 Likes on 4,372 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Blind spot monitoring, memory seats, and a garage opener are not heavy (especially because the infrastructure for the system already exists given its availability in other trim levels), and will not affect track times.

Locking those features behind a higher trim level is a strategy to get you to pay >10 times more than something is worth and boost their bottom line.

The objective truth is that GM is overcharging for basic features that are standard in most cars. This is not 1999.

You want to happily pay it and get ripped off. I want to complain about it, and would prefer this not be the issue for future model years.
The 2LT/Z & 3LT/Z are complete rip offs for what you get, it's been that way since 3LZ was $7,100 on my car. Now it's $14k and you still get crap. It's not a surprise, and all the info is clearly displayed on Chevy's build & price site. So you either pay for it or don't. Complaining on a forum isn't going to change anything.

A similarly-equipped Stingray to my new M2 would be $25k more. I chose the M2 for my dd for a variety of reasons, but performance value was definitely one of them. Yeah it came with all the nannies that I turn off. If you don't like GM's way of doing business, buy something else.
Old 05-09-2024, 05:23 PM
ShadyVette
Racer

This is a key post. I’m actually cross shopping the M2, and a stick at that. Less HP? Yes. But there’s lots of YouTubers giving the nod to the M2 over the Cayman and for half the cost of what I want in a Z and it’s possibly better value minus the sound. Scary but the M2 is nearly the same weight as a Z so it’s heavy but for fun factor on the road at half the price I’m thinking of getting off the Z list at MM

Originally Posted by JABCAT
The 2LT/Z & 3LT/Z are complete rip offs for what you get, it's been that way since 3LZ was $7,100 on my car. Now it's $14k and you still get crap. It's not a surprise, and all the info is clearly displayed on Chevy's build & price site. So you either pay for it or don't. Complaining on a forum isn't going to change anything.

A similarly-equipped Stingray to my new M2 would be $25k more. I chose the M2 for my dd for a variety of reasons, but performance value was definitely one of them. Yeah it came with all the nannies that I turn off. If you don't like GM's way of doing business, buy something else.
Old 05-09-2024, 05:25 PM
Jetolso
Instructor

This is a key post. I’m actually cross shopping the M2, and a stick at that. Less HP? Yes. But there’s lots of YouTubers giving the nod to the M2 over the Cayman and for half the cost of what I want in a Z and it’s possibly better value minus the sound. Scary but the M2 is nearly the same weight as a Z so it’s heavy but for fun factor on the road at half the price I’m thinking of getting off the Z list at MM
I bought a manual M3 a year ago while I waited. Fantastic decision. I’m sure the M2 is superb, but I preferred having rear doors (and two child seats).

And btw, BMW has no obscene rip-off conditions like this one. Most truly basic stuff is included, and if it is not, you can get some a la carte (without forcing a higher trim level).
The following 2 users liked this post by Jetolso:
JABCAT (05-09-2024), Rapid Z (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 05:30 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,916 Likes on 4,747 Posts

You want to happily pay it and get ripped off. I want to complain about it, pay only for the 1LZ, and prefer this not be an issue for future model years.
Get ripped off??? Just because it's more focused on performance than being some giant safety net with wheels, doesn't make it a rip off. I would pay to keep all the BS crap out of the car, I don't need it or want it.
Old 05-09-2024, 05:31 PM
ShadyVette
Racer

At the risk of hijacking this this thread anyone with an M2 who knows if it pushes or not like the 135 DM me.
Old 05-09-2024, 05:32 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

And btw, BMW has no obscene rip-off conditions like this one. Most truly basic stuff is included, and if it is not, you can get some a la carte (without forcing a higher trim level).
You mean like charging a subscription so your heated seats work? Yeah, they're run by saints wearing a cross.
The following 2 users liked this post by Phil1098:
F4Gary (05-11-2024), minn19 (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 05:33 PM
Jetolso
Instructor

Originally Posted by Phil1098
You mean like charging a subscription so your heated seats work? Yeah, they're run by saints wearing a cross.
Good point - conceded.

Fortunately I didn’t run into that issue (and I think no one will - walked back).

Nonetheless, I have no brand loyalty (and, in my opinion, no one should). Only semi-objective feedback.
Old 05-09-2024, 05:34 PM
ShadyVette
Racer

my understanding is they rescinded that stupid decision rather quickly. At least I didn’t see that on the 2 series for 2024
Old 05-09-2024, 05:42 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

my understanding is they rescinded that stupid decision rather quickly. At least I didn’t see that on the 2 series for 2024
I think they did, but only due to the massive push back by the buyers. They still came out with the program in the first place. All these manufacturers are constantly looking for a new way to improve the bottom line, it's what being in a capitalist society gets you. I for one wouldn't want it any other way though, but suggesting any maker is philanthropic towards customers is naive at best.
Old 05-09-2024, 05:49 PM
ShadyVette
Racer

I think they did, but only due to the massive push back by the buyers. They still came out with the program in the first place. All these manufacturers are constantly looking for a new way to improve the bottom line, it's what being in a capitalist society gets you. I for one wouldn't want it any other way though, but suggesting any maker is philanthropic towards customers is naive at best.
oh agreed, one of the few wins of social media
Phil1098 (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 06:13 PM
Jetolso
Instructor

Ahhhh PUSHBACK BY THE BUYERS EEHHHH???

Looks like this thread does have a point then :-)
Old 05-09-2024, 06:18 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Ahhhh PUSHBACK BY THE BUYERS EEHHHH???

Looks like this thread does have a point then :-)
Nah, what BMW did was flat out wrong, the cars had heated seats, they just wouldn't work until extortion money was paid. GM just made equipment level decisions and that's the way they come.
I'm afraid you can wish in one hand and well, ........................you know the rest.

Get notified of new replies

To Blind spot monitoring fiasco

Old 05-09-2024, 06:23 PM
RBK11
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

HOW TF does GM have the ***** to lock blind spot monitoring under a trim level upgrade in a $100,000+ car?

I can’t believe I am the only one pissed about this.

This is the reason why I got a 1LZ (Z07), mostly out of principle/protest. Clearly not enough of a reason for me not to get the car though :-)

GM, if you eyeball these forums: be best, and cut the crap for the next model years.
It apparently depends on the technology you were brought up with. My mirror tells me if a car is near, what more do I need. I drive the car, not the other way around. For me, and again, generational differences should be respeected, I never had and never needed any assist. So why I don't complain is there is really nothing to complain about for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by RBK11:
JABCAT (05-09-2024), westsdad (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 06:26 PM
FL-355
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 78 Posts

Paragon Mirrors - problem solved.
westsdad (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 06:56 PM
ShadyVette
Racer

Everyone agrees that the ability of the driver trumps the tech. But there was a time before rear view cameras became law that they were a pay for option on a BMW which was ridiculous when a Mazda or Hyundai had it for free on the base model. This is similar, the tech is cheap and should be ubiquitous

Quick Reply: Blind spot monitoring fiasco