Any intrest in a group track day?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 08:13 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Default Any intrest in a group track day?

I was checking out the schedule for Shannonville Motorsports Park, and I noticed on their road course, they offer pay per lap events. For $5 a lap or $20 for 5 laps, you will go on the course with only 3 other cars, driving at oyur own comfortable pace. Sounds like a cool idea to see how fast your car will handle flat out!! This really appeals to me, anyone else interested? Would be uber cool to have a bunch of vettes on the track........kinda like our own American Le Mans event!!!
They also have a drag track that I've never been to which is worth checking out.

Check it out yourself:

Shannonville
Old 03-03-2005, 08:58 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I might be interested, could also rent St. Thomas dragstrip for a day for a about $400 and get all the runs yo would ever want all day long, get 10 of us together and it's 40 bucks each.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:03 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Sounds like we have a second event for our schedule this summer!
Old 03-03-2005, 09:15 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the car is done I'd be up for the strip..... I'd love to do the road course but it'd be a long tow home if I broke!

I live 10min. away from St. Thomas Dragstrip, so there's always a place to wrench on the cars if they break.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:33 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Myself and some members from the Capital Vette club might be interested in hooking up with you guys. I'll keep and eye on how this developes.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:43 PM
75 Stingray!
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to the ¼ mile track at Shannonville a while back with a bunch of buddies. Many issues with the track, we swore never to go back.
If I remember correctly, when you rent the track you are limited to # of cars and it turns out to be about 50-70 per car.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:45 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

That $50-70 at shannonville ?

$400 was just what I recall last time we looked into St. Thomas maybe MikeC remebers the details better ?
Old 03-04-2005, 03:47 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

To be honest, I wasn't really interested in the 1/4 mile track there, I want to go fast around the corners for a change! I think it would be a lot of fun on the road course with a few other guys. What were the issues with the 1/4 track?
Old 03-04-2005, 05:13 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love group activities like this...count me in guys.

1/4 mile for sure.
road coarse scares me a bit. I think C3 are straight line cars....at least with my lead-foot anyway.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:40 PM
75 Stingray!
Drifting

Originally Posted by MotorHead
That was TMP. If I remember correctly there were additional charges on top of track rental that had to be paid. IMO unless you got something secret you can get enough runs in on a TT day for less money.
Originally Posted by 7t2vette
To be honest, I wasn't really interested in the 1/4 mile track there, I want to go fast around the corners for a change! I think it would be a lot of fun on the road course with a few other guys. What were the issues with the 1/4 track?
I have no experience with that road course. I’d rather go to Mosport, that way you can compare your times to SCCA times It’s also closer.
Problems with the ¼ at Shannon are:
The particular day I was there
-They opened late
-Tech inspection took a very long time
-Pits were not paved
-You enter the track from the side then need to reverse into the burnout box
-Lighting is very poor, no lights after the 1/8
-There are some bumps in the track
-Track is very short, cars faster then 11(or was it 10’s) are only allowed to run 1/8th. Cars in the 12’s will see the end of the track
-The return road was basically a dirt bike trail
-you must pick up your time slip at the start of the track, not convenient to drive up to the booth.
-the day we went (Friday) there were many people and only got one run in, if we stayed until closing maybe 2 runs.
End consensus was that it would have been safer and more convenient to run on the street
Some of this may have improved but I rather not find out the hard way, TMP (Cayuga), London (St. Thomas), Grand Bend for me
Old 03-04-2005, 07:02 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

I just emailed Mosport to find out if they offer a similar pay-per-lap deal. If not, maybe the track can be rented. I don't know why some of thr guys are afraid to drive their cars on a road course! It wouldn't be an actual race, just having some fun going around a track at your own comfortable pace, at speeds you couldn't do legally or safely on the street. I am not looking at it as a competative event, just some fun trying something new.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:01 PM
FFIN90
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================ From Toronto ================ 9/11/01 FDNY 343 R.I.P.
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'13-'14

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
I just emailed Mosport to find out if they offer a similar pay-per-lap deal. If not, maybe the track can be rented. I don't know why some of thr guys are afraid to drive their cars on a road course! It wouldn't be an actual race, just having some fun going around a track at your own comfortable pace, at speeds you couldn't do legally or safely on the street. I am not looking at it as a competative event, just some fun trying something new.
I'm in for this one.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:57 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

$400 was just what I recall last time we looked into St. Thomas maybe MikeC remebers the details better ?
Yeah I remember it was $400- as many cars, as many runs as you can muster.... I think it was from 9=10 in the morning until 4 in the afternoon.

This might have changed as the track lost a lawsuit to the Sparta community over noise issues. Bunch of freaking whiners.... the strip has been there for decades but it sounds as it might close in the next year or 2.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:32 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

I think they have to wait untill noon on Sunday to open that it
Old 03-06-2005, 10:06 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

If we go to a road course I'd be interested.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:26 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Okay, it seems we have a few people interested in driving a road course. I am waiting to hear back from Mosport about if they offer the same kind of thing.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Ratsirt
Burning Brakes

I was out at Phoenix International Speedway today and they run a program where they allow street cars on the track. They had a road coarse set up. Yesteday there were a couple C6 and a C5 on the coarse. Today I saw a C6. Saw a couple of nice cobras also. Will post some pictures once I return home next week.

Really neet as long as you sign a track waiver they allow you to go almost anywhere you want.

Ratsirt

Get notified of new replies

To Any intrest in a group track day?

Old 03-06-2005, 10:14 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

I think they have to wait untill noon on Sunday to open that it
Yup around that time.... plus he has to pay out $200,000 for the pain and suffering of the whiners. I think they said everyone in the village gets between $4k-6.5K depending on how long you have lived there. What a crock!

Whats worse is that our local government partially funded the lawsuit which is a major no-no but they don't even get a slap on the wrist.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:35 PM
75 Stingray!
Drifting

From St. Thomas Dragway web site:
Court releases decision on case
A decision has been released on the lawsuit filed by a group of residents of Sparta against St. Thomas Dragway. In the lawsuit the plaintiffs were seeking one million dollars and the permanent closure of the track.
The court refused to order the closure of the track and only ordered the track to delay the start of racing until one P.M. on Sundays. No other restrictions were placed on the operation of the facility.
The court also commented on the involvement of the Municipality of Central Elgin in this case. The court found that the Municipality had confidentially funded the plaintiffs in the amount of one hundred thousand dollars and that the court was somewhat troubled by this conduct on the part of the municipality and this conduct was ill advised. The court also found that the dragway employs many local youth, makes significant economic and charitable contributions to the community and that it also provides an educational component to the students in the community.
I may have been wrong about the $50-70 since I received this information through a third party. If it is in the $20-30 range I’d be interested in renting the track also.
As for Mosport, I seem to remember GTAMC (mustang club) had a track day there a few years ago. I’m a little weary about going to a road course because I know I’d push the car harder every lap and eventually may end up in the grass. But I’d be willing to try (I just need to learn self control for one day)
Old 03-11-2005, 10:46 PM
75 Stingray!
Drifting

I wasn’t wrong about the price of renting TMP
Today at Performance world I talked to the guys from TMP they told me that basic track rental was $600 for 6 cars without track prep. An additional 50$ for each car over 6. also if you plan on running faster then 13's an additional cost for the ambulance. There were more additional costs but I stopped listening he told me an average rental of 6 cars costs around $1000
I imagine St. Thomas is cheaper but I doubt that there is no limit to # of cars.

The guys at the Mosport booth couldn’t help me very much. I was told I needed to go on their website and contact the appropriate person by e-mail
He was able to give me an idea of what’s going on.
There are no public days, you have to rent the track or go with a club (who has rented the track). Price was not certain but he seems to remember $350. All the weekends are already booked and there are only a few days during the week throughout the summer remaining. # of cars shouldn't be a problem.

Quick Reply: Any intrest in a group track day?