Canadian Events Canada, eh?

The Party is On Boys!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 03:06 PM
75Rag
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gdh
bring a can of black paint so that we can clean up your engine compartment while we're at it.
good thinkin'

Originally Posted by gdh
If this is a straight swap we can bolt on the carb/intake etc on the donor Fri night- any headers?
carb and intake are included, a new carb base gasket would be a wise purchase, as would gaskets for the headers.

Originally Posted by gdh
might be a good idea to buy new hoses and anyother small while we're at it things.
I made quite an extensive list when I did my swap ... I'll see if I can find it, and copy it to Mike ....
Old 06-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 75Rag
Just a thought Mike, any chance of bumping this? I didn't realize THAT Sunday was fathers day ..... plus it would give you / us a little more time to get organized.
I think that would be a good idea since we don't seem to have enough people available for next weekend. I had forgotten about Fathers day also and there's 2 of them I have to visit.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:50 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Just so everyone knows, a 700R4 tranny isn't a bolt-in job on a C3. You need to modify your crossmember or buy a custom one, buy a shifter conversion kit, buy a TV cable assembly, buy new cooling lines, and either shorten your existing driveshaft or buy a new custom one.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:56 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
Just so everyone knows, a 700R4 tranny isn't a bolt-in job on a C3. You need to modify your crossmember or buy a custom one, buy a shifter conversion kit, buy a TV cable assembly, buy new cooling lines, and either shorten your existing driveshaft or buy a new custom one.
So, just install the new engine and take care of the tranny later.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:50 PM
kidneyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey boys, just got back from out of town and this is my first chance in a couple of days to check the forum. I forgot about father's day and I don't want to get in the way of anyones important family time. (Too bad it's not mother's day ) Anyway I really know absolutely ZERO about swappping a motor, in fact I know zero about most things mechanical. And according to Bruce's post there is more to this maybe than I guessed. Is this too much to ask of everyone? If it is I can look at other alternatives. I just want my vette on the road, these past 2 weeks have sucked big time.
I'm cool with postponing to the weekend of the 24th if that makes more sense and it might give me more time to organize all the other sh*t that needs to be done to make this happen. OR I get the engine builder to do it. $300. is his price. Sorry to whine but I'm getting lost in all of this.
Mike
Old 06-09-2006, 08:18 PM
AGVI
Race Director

****, I'm there! I think if I feed Frankbag enough rum and cokes "Lestipher Style", that he'll do everything no problem!

Mike, we'll come through for you.

Les
Old 06-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Bishs
Melting Slicks

Les: That is easy for you to commit Frank. Are you knowledgeable enough to be one of the experts to do it. What Frank needs to know who is going to do all the arranging and scheduling. He has a lot on his plate with work and his cars.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:49 AM
AGVI
Race Director

It was a joke.

I realize that Frank is taking on a big project here and without the help of someone who is experienced in an engine re and re he will have a difficult time.

I hope a few guys actually show up. It seems as though only certain people come through for certain other people....'nuff said.

Les
Old 06-10-2006, 08:48 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

That weekend is iffy for me, it's my son's 6th birthday on the 18th, and the party is possibly on the 17th, but it also might be on the 24th depending if we can book the place for the party or not. I will have to get back to you when I know for sure.
We will be finding out today which day we will be having my son's party on, my wife will let me know later when she comes home. That being said, I obviously cannot commit to any date yet. No offense to anyone, but this project is extremely unorganized at this point, there are too many unanswered questions.

-how is Mike going to get his car to the place this is happening at?
-how is Mike going to get the new motor and tranny there?
-how is Mike going to get the old motor and new tranny away from there?
-exactly what other misc. parts will he need to buy to complete the swap? no one has given his car a thorough look to create this list

No matter how many people show up to help, unless these important questions are answered, this isn't going to happen. If you fail to plan, then you better plan to fail, as my father always says.

Here is my suggestion Mike, if you want to make this happen:
- pay for your car to be towed; my place is still an option if it is closer to you than Frank's place, and I own an engine hoist (it is too big for me to take anywhere, it is also a body lifter)
- rent a U-Haul truck to pick up the new motor and tranny and to take away the old motor and new tranny
- store the tranny at your place until you sell it or decide what to do with it, it is not that large of an item
- find out where you can dispose of the old motor, not sure if the dump will take them, but a scrapyard might, and you may even get some cash for it.

Mike, even if you have to pay for these things, you will still be way ahead of the game.

Last edited by 7t2vette; 06-10-2006 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:54 AM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts

We will be finding out today which day we will be having my son's party on, my wife will let me know later when she comes home. That being said, I obviously cannot commit to any date yet. No offense to anyone, but this project is extremely unorganized at this point, there are too many unanswered questions.

-how is Mike going to get his car to the place this is happening at?
-how is Mike going to get the new motor and tranny there?
-how is Mike going to get the old motor and new tranny away from there?
-exactly what other misc. parts will he need to buy to complete the swap? no one has given his car a thorough look to create this list

No matter how many people show up to help, unless these important questions are answered, this isn't going to happen. If you fail to plan, then you better plan to fail, as my father always says.

Here is my suggestion Mike, if you want to make this happen:
- pay for your car to be towed; my place is still an option if it is closer to you than Frank's place, and I own an engine hoist (it is too big for me to take anywhere, it is also a body lifter)
- rent a U-Haul truck to pick up the new motor and tranny and to take away the old motor and new tranny
- store the tranny at your place until you sell it or decide what to do with it, it is not that large of an item
- find out where you can dispose of the old motor, not sure if the dump will take them, but a scrapyard might, and you may even get some cash for it.

Mike, even if you have to pay for these things, you will still be way ahead of the game.
Very good points there Albert

As I mentioned in a previous post, my place is also an option. I know it's further away, but as most of you guys know, I have the room and space to store anything short term or if something unforseen comes up. I can also get a hoist from my neigbour.

My biggest thing is having someone who has pulled from a C3, I'd hate to have to do something the hard way and waste time when there was an easier to do it. As mentioned before, my experience has been in full size Chev sedans and wagons...relatively straight forward. I'm sure Vette's have some "quirks" when yanking them.

Having said that, Bruce is right on about the organization thing. If your not too sure about all this, the quote of $300 to do the re & re sounds pretty cheap to me, although I'm pretty sure the "unforseen" will come up and drive that cost higher.

Either way, I'm there if and when you decide
Old 06-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Bruce, I appreciate your concern re the organization. I know you've done this before and your input is really, really helpful. Unfortunately Mike (Kidneyboy) isn't knowledgeable in this area so we'll have to walk him through what exactly is involved in this undertaking. As of yesterday I decided to take the bull by the horns with a poll to kickstart this process. Since then I've received and sent many PMs and made a lot of headway.

As for it being extremely unorganized, that has now changed. A lot of guys have stepped up to the plate and offered one thing or another which goes a long way towards making this re&re happen. I realize it's a lot to ask but everyone's help, no matter what it is, would go a long way. Once I have a confirmed list of who's willing to help, how and when, I'll make up a schedule for everyone's review. The quicker I know who's volunteering (through my poll or otherwise), the sooner I can make up a schedule. As it stands now, next weekend isn't practical so this is happening the weekend of June 23-25.

Now let me answer a few questions for everyone.

Mike's car is being towed to my place on Friday (June 23) either through member help or he'll pay to have it done.

Two members have already offered to pick up and deliver the motor. If all else fails, I'll be the backup.

Mike is going to try to sell the motor (which he should be doing now) although they're a dime a dozen. It'll either end up at a machine shop or scrapyard. As for the tranny, Mike has some thoughts on that.

75Rag has offered to provide a list of material to purchase. If he can't locate his list I will provide one.

His motor has headers.

I have a double car garage which will be completely emptied for that weekend.

I have all the tools needed except an engine hoist. I have a 3/4 ton chain block which is a substitute but nowhere near as good a replacement.

Let's look at this event as being a mod to Mike's car (not a replacement of a blown engine) and a way to make this forum and the friendships within it stronger.

I would be more than happy to answer any further questions. I know that through everyone's help.......this mod will happen!
Old 06-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Ratsirt
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As previously mentioned I do have a hoist and engine stand along with a sling. The only problem is I am away in Quebec for the summer. I will be home though for a few days (21-24). If someone wants to come by my place around then to pick up the items I would gladly let you guys use them.

It is not that much work to R & R an engine in a C3. As you guys know I just completed mine not that long ago. I could possibly be available Friday night to help out.

Also it is so much easier if the fan shroud and rad are removed but you could end up discovering more problems going this way. Leave the tranny in, it will be much easier.

Make sure you have space to remove one of the front wheels and also so the hoist can be positioned from the side.

Last edited by Ratsirt; 06-10-2006 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:00 PM
75 Stingray!
Drifting

Unfortunately at this time I’m not able to make it on those dates, but PM me the address.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:03 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, my son's party is on the 24th, so that leaves me out for that day. I am going to Mosport on the 25th, so I am out that day also. I might be able to swing by Friday afternoon/night though.

A quick list of the top of my head for misc. items:

- rad hoses
- heater hoses
- fuel pump supply hose
- fuel pump return hose
- associated clamps for all above
- fuel pump to baseplate gasket
- all fan belts
- carb baseplate gasket
- motor mounts (more than likely his are garbage)
- antifreeze (C3 cooling system holds 16L with block drained)
- oil and filter
- new water pump (Mikes present one is leaking, and unless this motor came out of a Corvette, he will need a proper new Corvette short pump)
- water pump gaskets
- transmission fluid (only if rad is removed)
- spark plugs
-intake gaskets and Ultra Black RTV if switching intakes
-hedder gaskets
-spark plug wires (if neccessary)
-rad (if neccessary)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
A quick list of tasks involved:

-disconnect battery cable
-remove hood (scribe or mark position on hinges first)
-remove fan shroud
-remove fan
-disconnect alternator wiring and remove alternator and brackets
-disconnect AC compressor and set aside in engine bay
then remove brackets
-disconnect power steering pump and set aside in engine bay
then remove brackets
-disconnect throttle cable
-disconnect tranny kickdown cable
-disconnect power braker booster hose
-disconnect all hoses and fuel line and remove carb
-disconnect all wires and remove distributor and coil
-remove PCV valve and set aside
-disconnect wires from oil pressure sender and temp sender
-unbolt hedders from block
-raise car to working height and put on jackstands
-remove front wheels
-remove flexplate inspection cover
-remove wires and unbolt starter
-unbolts hedders from collectors and remove hedders
-drain rad and block
-drain oil
-pinch fuel supply hose, and remove from fuel pump (if you don't pinch hose, the tank will empty itself)
-remove fuel return hose
-disconnect tranny cooling lines from rad
-remove rad (not absolutely neccessary, but makes things easier)
-unbolt torque convertor from flexplate
-support tranny
-unbolt tranny from block (it will still be held in place by the two dowel pins on the block)
-remove rad hoses
-remove heater hoses
-remove engine from car
-transfer to new engine:
oil sender
temp sender
pulleys
carb
coil
distributor
water pump
fuel pump
spark plug wires
vacuum fitting(s) from manifold
heater hose fittings from manifold and water pump
-install new motor mounts on new engine
-install new engine in car
-align slot in oil pump driveshaft with cylinder 5 intake valve and set engine at TDC, then install distributor with rotor pointing at clyinder 1 terminal on distributor cap
-hook up and install everything else in the reverse order
-fill with appropriate fluids
-fill carb bowls with gas through vent tubes
-hook up battery
-fire engine and set timing
-check for leaks
-install wheels
-lower car
-install and align hood
-drive home with smile on face

Hopefully I haven't missed anything.

Last edited by 7t2vette; 06-11-2006 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:30 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Are you serious that the engine builder will pull your existing engine, install both the new engine and tranny for $300 - damn man that is cheap, I 'd go for it as there are no lists to follow, parts to run out and buy, equip't to rent vette to tow etc. That is very little $ incredibly well spent IMHO.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:41 AM
75Rag
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gdh
Are you serious that the engine builder will pull your existing engine, install both the new engine and tranny for $300 - damn man that is cheap, I 'd go for it as there are no lists to follow, parts to run out and buy, equip't to rent vette to tow etc. That is very little $ incredibly well spent IMHO.
Yep ... obviously now that we know the tranny's are different lengths we are just talking an engine swap ... but yes, get the car to his location (Woodstock area) and he'll do it. Assistance required.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:53 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my old WP I can donate. I may be the original one, but was working fine when I pulled it last month. Rebuilt is only $50 from Crappy Tire.

Quick Reply: The Party is On Boys!!