Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Are C5/6's the new 5.0 Mustangs???

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 04:26 PM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 224 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

And there is a BIG difference in guys that own vettes and Corvette guys! (and gal, LAURI!)

Save the Wave!
Old 05-21-2007, 04:43 PM
harrin
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
Thats an interesting statement. One of the reasons the classic cars are so collectable is because there are not that many left; no one really thought about them lasting to the future. I think that in the years to come, the late models won't be as collectable because there will be plenty of excellent C5/6's left because so many people will be thinking that they need to preserve them to make them a collectable!
I agree with you Bruce, this is why I went for the older C3, cost wise, by the time I'm finished, I could have bought a used c5 or c6.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Ratsirt
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-21-2007, 05:04 PM
kidneyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree Bruce. My neighborhood is home to a lot of very high end cars; Jensens, Porches, Jags, Mercedes, the odd Rolls etc. In that group are quite a few C5's and even more C6's. One of the C6 drivers stopped at my place when I was dusting off my C3 and asked what kind of car it was! Now that doesn't mean that I don't think that C5-6's aren't very but I'd only have one if I could find a way to have my C3 too!
Old 05-21-2007, 05:06 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

a couple of summers ago I spent 3 weeks in Cal. during that time I saw more C5's and C6's than I would bother to count and only 1 C3, 1 C2 0 C1's. I know what you are taking about though Bruce and the classic car question will only be answered in the future re: C5's and 6's. This topis has been raised quite often on the classic car forums where just the shear # of later model vettes may hold the investment potential down. I like C6's just don't have any real interest in owning one now the new GT40 on the other hand.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:15 PM
steveL82
Racer

how much dust did you have on that car that the bozo did not see it being a vette
Old 05-21-2007, 05:47 PM
Alcee1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well everything you said is well taken and respected but I buy a car because it's what I want, I could care less about how many are on the road or how many people have them, JMO
Old 05-21-2007, 07:08 PM
mg62
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bruce, I certainly understand the point you were trying to make, but I think that it fails on the numbers alone. The Corvette will never be the "next Mustang", or as "common" as the Mustang, because not nearly as many Corvettes were made in any given model year as there were Mustangs.

Take a look at this chart:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...totalprod.html

Assuming that the chart is valid (and I don't know, I found it on the internet after all), it shows that annual Corvette production in the C5 era has always been in the low 30,000's. For most of the C4 era, it was down in the low 20,000's. Interestingly enough, the highest production years for Corvette were in the C3 era, peaking at around 53,000 for 1979.

Now take a look at this link:

http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicles/muscle/mustang/

I couldn't easily find "5.0 era" Mustang statistics; someone else probably can. But in the period between 1965 and 1973, Mustang production was measured in the hundreds of thousands (not the tens of thousands, like Corvette). If anything, the 80's and 90's Mustangs were being cranked out in even higher numbers because of Ford's attempt to sell them as a family economy car. Blechh.

I strongly suspect that 35 years from now, some young guy with a "classic" 2009 C6 will be posting on the Forum that the new C9's and C10's lack soul and that he's got the "real" Corvette! It's all a matter of perspective. I've always believed that when a guy thinks of Corvette, he thinks of the Vette generation that was in the Chevy showroom when he was 16 years old, waiting to get his driver's license.

In any event, the point of this is that all of us can proudly say that we've got something special, whether it's a C3, a C5 or a C6.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:45 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Thats what is great about living in a place where freedom of speech is a right; everyone has an opinion, and is entitled to it.

Some of you are still completely missing the point and not understanding what I am trying to say! I have never once said one generation of vette is better or worse than another. I have never once said one generation of vette has more soul or is a "real" Corvette compared to another. As far as I am concerned, ALL Corvettes are real Corvettes, so please, stop putting words in my mouth! I am not comparing the two cars on any level except current popularity. As for total Mustang production numbers Mark, try multi-millions, and you will be in the ballpark. The used car market is presently flooded with reasonably priced C5's, making them affordable to a lot more people than ever before; out of the total production number of ~250,000 C5 Corvettes produced, I am guessing that a great number of them are still on the road. They are great cars, they are extremly quick right off the showroom floor, new and used parts are fairly cheap and plentiful, they respond extremely well to all the usual hot rod bolt-on mods, and they have HUGE-HUGE-HUGE aftermarket support......just like the 5.0 Mustangs did back in their day! C5's are everywhere, and everyone and his brother has one..... just like the 5.0 Mustangs back in their day! There is not another contemporary domestic performance car on the market today that has as big an aftermarket as the C5's and more specifically the LS series of motors....just like the 5.0 Mustangs back in their day! That is what I am basing my comparison on, I don't understand what is so hard to understand about that comparison?!?!

This thread is not meant to be an inflammatory thread bashing late models; I love them too! If I ever have the opportunity to keep my '72 and also own a newer vette, I will. As I stated earlier, lately my mind has been wandering to thoughts of selling the '72 to get a C5, but after realizing just how many there are out there on the road, I changed my mind; my car stands out, and I like that. I sold the last 5.0 Mustang I owned to buy my current vette in 1995, because I didn't want to have the same car as everyone else did anymore. I guess hanging around all you guys with late models has had a herd mentality effect on me, but I seem to have snapped out of it again....at least for the time being!

Last edited by 7t2vette; 05-21-2007 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:47 PM
-=Iron Mike=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by mg62
In any event, the point of this is that all of us can proudly say that we've got something special, whether it's a C3, a C5 or a C6.

What...no love for the C4?

Bunch of haters around here I tell you.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:01 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by -=Iron Mike=-
What...no love for the C4?

Bunch of haters around here I tell you.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:06 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts

Thats what is great about living in a place where freedom of speech is a right; everyone has an opinion, and is entitled to it.

Some of you are still completely missing the point and not understanding what I am trying to say! I have never once said one generation of vette is better or worse than another. I have never once said one generation of vette has more soul or is a "real" Corvette compared to another. As far as I am concerned, ALL Corvettes are real Corvettes, so please, stop putting words in my mouth! I am not comparing the two cars on any level except current popularity. As for total Mustang production numbers Mark, try multi-millions, and you will be in the ballpark. The used car market is presently flooded with reasonably priced C5's, making them affordable to a lot more people than ever before; out of the total production number of ~250,000 C5 Corvettes produced, I am guessing that a great number of them are still on the road. They are great cars, they are extremly quick right off the showroom floor, new and used parts are fairly cheap and plentiful, they respond extremely well to all the usual hot rod bolt-on mods, and they have HUGE-HUGE-HUGE aftermarket support......just like the 5.0 Mustangs did back in their day! C5's are everywhere, and everyone and his brother has one..... just like the 5.0 Mustangs back in their day! There is not another contemporary domestic performance car on the market today that has as big an aftermarket as the C5's....just like the 5.0 Mustangs back in their day! That is what I am basing my comparison on, I don't understand what is so hard to understand about that comparison?!?!

This thread is not meant to be an inflammatory thread bashing late models; I love them too! If I ever have the opportunity to keep my '72 and also own a newer vette, I will. As I stated earlier, lately my mind has been wandering to thoughts of selling the '72 to get a C5, but after realizing just how many there are out there on the road, I changed my mind; my car stands out, and I like that. I sold the last 5.0 Mustang I owned to buy my current vette in 1995, because I didn't want to have the same car as everyone else did anymore. I guess hanging around all you guys with late models has had a herd mentality effect on me, but I seem to have snapped out of it again....for the time being!
I get it Bruce, pretty clear to me, don't know why some other's can't comprehend the simplicity of it all.

Reading this thread (and I read it twice) really makes me think about the stunning beauty and shape of a C3. Oh, and sorry Smook, but there's no way the C5/6 is the "new C3"...not even close.

As you know, mine has been for sale to get back to a C5, but this thread really has me thinking. It's paid for, looks great and gets lots of

But back to your original observation, I agree, the C5 is like the 5.0 L Stangs, I see em everywhere, and mostly never a wave either.

Anyway, glad your not selling yours, cause I've changed my mind...I'm keeping my 73
Old 05-21-2007, 09:04 PM
C52002
Instructor

Bruce you sure do know how to stir the pot and I think that is great! After a solo cruise today I came home and said I am thinking of selling my vert for a porsche. Well you would think I had said I have just joined the foreign legion. My son said you want to buy an IMPORT!! I said these cars kick a$$$ you need to educate yourself about the porsche.
After surfing around I could not find a form close to the CF form we all participate in. That is what makes a vet owner different from a mustange owner or any other car for that matter.
It doesn't matter if you own a C1 or a C6 or the next version a C7, we will accept the C7 guys as if you owned a C1, just like the C1 guys accept the C6, that is what owning a CORVETTE is all about.
Can Mustange say that?
Thanks Bruce for stiring the pot.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:05 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mjager
I get it Bruce, pretty clear to me, don't know why some other's can't comprehend the simplicity of it all.

Reading this thread (and I read it twice) really makes me think about the stunning beauty and shape of a C3. Oh, and sorry Smook, but there's no way the C5/6 is the "new C3"...not even close.

As you know, mine has been for sale to get back to a C5, but this thread really has me thinking. It's paid for, looks great and gets lots of

But back to your original observation, I agree, the C5 is like the 5.0 L Stangs, I see em everywhere, and mostly never a wave either.

Anyway, glad your not selling yours, cause I've changed my mind...I'm keeping my 73

Well I'm glad someone finally gets it!!

I've just read this entire thread once again, and I still don't know why some of you think that I am saying that I see more current gen vettes than I do current gen mustangs, because if you re-read everything I wrote, I never once said that! Not once! Where do you think that I wrote that, becasue I certainly don't see it! As a matter of fact, all of the following rebuttal statements are completely irrelevant to my original statetment!!!!!

Originally Posted by Dirty-Z
I disagree because I see more Mustangs than vettes in any given day.
Originally Posted by steveblonde
But i really disagree with the mustang comment-they are still 1000 times more common just my $.02
Originally Posted by corrado
I know what you're saying, but in my case I don't agree. I see about 3-4 mustangs for every Vette on the road.
Once again, for the record, I never said that I see more vettes than I do mustangs!!!

Last edited by 7t2vette; 05-21-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:24 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to admit that I notice every generation vette from a mile away (maybe even look for them) so I will say that I see them almost daily (not a lot though).

I will also say that I dont really pay attn to any other car or they dont really stand out to me so I have no clue how many of them are around. I do know what its like though that once you own a certain vehicle you all of a sudden start to notice them more...maybe thats all it is Bruce, summers here and you are starting to see all the vettes coming out and late model vettes are the ones that you will most likely see in bigger numbers (cause you can still finance them) and alot of the C3's are in garages

P.S Oh and Mark, you are right, the C3 has probably the best lines any car has ever come out with

Last edited by GettReal; 05-21-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:29 PM
JUSTAKAR
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default r C5/C6 the new Mustang

[flame suit on] So I was out doing some errands yesterday, and in my travels, I couldn't believe how many late model vettes I saw! It got me thinking about how many late model vettes I see in general, which then got me thinking about back in the late '80's early '90's when there were 5.0 Mustangs everywhere, everyone owned one, I mean back then that was THE car to own, hell, I owned at least 12 of them myself!! A quick survey of our informal group here will show that the majority (by a large margin) are late model vette owners. I must admit, I have been thinking lately about selling my '72 and buying a late model ZO6, but after yesterday's epiphany, I've changed my mind again, I like the fact that I don't own a late model! [/flame suit]
No....Not like ..or akin or similar......... small or low sample size often shows errors...now get back into bed and try getting out the other side where you don't need a flame suit....
Sell your C3 ???????????I'll bid first if you like, will you put C5 seats (oops forget the C5 seats) .........in it, oh yea I need either HID lights or a great big candle at night....I set the lights tonight so adjust yer mirror back...
Wullie
Old 05-21-2007, 09:40 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C52002
Thanks Bruce for stiring the pot.

No problem!

This place has been pretty boring lately, I figured it needed a little shot of controversy! All those lame posts about killing innocent raccoons and all!!

Last edited by 7t2vette; 05-21-2007 at 09:42 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Are C5/6's the new 5.0 Mustangs???

Old 05-21-2007, 09:45 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JUSTAKAR

No....Not like ..or akin or similar......... small or low sample size often shows errors...now get back into bed and try getting out the other side where you don't need a flame suit....
Sell your C3 ???????????I'll bid first if you like, will you put C5 seats (oops forget the C5 seats) .........in it, oh yea I need either HID lights or a great big candle at night....I set the lights tonight so adjust yer mirror back...
Wullie
On yer bike willie!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:43 PM
mg62
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bruce, Bruce, Bruce.

Your title for this thread is: "Are C5/6's the new 5.0 Mustangs???" The answer is no, they can't be and never will be, for the reasons I gave up above, among others.

Ironically, as the stats show, there were way more C3s built than C5s. Were the C3s the "new Mach I's"? Bah.

It's a bit like the owner of a Jaguar E-Type saying he chooses not to trade it in for a new XKR, because he sees too many XKR's on the road. They're two completely different cars, albeit with a common heritage. Owning a Sunday-driven classic and owning a newish daily driver are also two completely different things.

Some of us prefer the best of both worlds ....

Old 05-22-2007, 07:34 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

[flame suit on] So I was out doing some errands yesterday, and in my travels, I couldn't believe how many late model vettes I saw! It got me thinking about how many late model vettes I see in general, which then got me thinking about back in the late '80's early '90's when there were 5.0 Mustangs everywhere, everyone owned one, I mean back then that was THE car to own, hell, I owned at least 12 of them myself!! A quick survey of our informal group here will show that the majority (by a large margin) are late model vette owners. I must admit, I have been thinking lately about selling my '72 and buying a late model ZO6, but after yesterday's epiphany, I've changed my mind again, I like the fact that I don't own a late model! [/flame suit]
I wouldnt say there as popular as stangs, but I can say that you see tons of C5/C6's compared to the other generations. C5's and C6's are not rare to see on the road, that's foresure.

Quick Reply: Are C5/6's the new 5.0 Mustangs???