Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Child safety restraints

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 03:56 PM
McFence
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Child safety restraints

One of the things that RIV wants to make sure the car has is these child seat restraints

This vehicle requires an infant restraint kit, unless it is a convertable.

My car is a coupe - what is an infant restraint system?? and I thought you couldn't put a childs seat in a front seat, and since this car only has front seats then why is this even required??

Or because it has seat belts this is part of restraining an infant thus complies??

I just don't recall seeing any latch tabs in the back for a childs seat to strap to.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:08 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The Coupe guys can be exact on location.. You also cant have a rear facing child seat in the front seat unless you can turn the airbags off. The switch for that for me is in the glove compartment.

Borrowed from another thread **** Starting with 2003 the Corvettes had the latch system in the passenger seat. At the botom of the seat back there are two little indicators that show where the slits in the seat bottom upholstery are located. The latch brackets are attached to the seat frame. A Latch system child seat uses these two brackets and the top tether to hold the seat in position. The seat belt is not used.

Here is the link for your 1998 manual, go to page 47...section 1-27 to read about child restrainst in your

http://corvettemechanic.com/diagrams...nersManual.pdfcar.

HTH

Last edited by GettReal; 02-15-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:08 PM
4GTABODT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Mississauga, Ontario Corvettes were built to be driven...not trailered
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Dave, your 98' Coupe didn't come with one. As mentioned above, it wasn't until 2003 that C5's actually incorporated a Child Restraint system in the car (RPO code AN4)

As your car was OEM like that, you shouldn't have a problem. Let me know if you need the RPO #'s for a '98 in case you have to show proof
Old 02-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Highway Hawk
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4GTABODT
Dave, your 98' Coupe didn't come with one. As mentioned above, it wasn't until 2003 that C5's actually incorporated a Child Restraint system in the car (RPO code AN4)

As your car was OEM like that, you shouldn't have a problem. Let me know if you need the RPO #'s for a '98 in case you have to show proof
My '01 didn't need them when I brought it across.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:29 PM
McFence
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK - I think I am reading the form wrong - they need to check the box "IF" the vehicle requires it, and it is not present - thus I need to get that modification done. And because my model year never had one it is a non issue.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:42 PM
use2bl8
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I imported my 98 coupe and it didn't require a child restraint.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:34 PM
4GTABODT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Mississauga, Ontario Corvettes were built to be driven...not trailered
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by McFence
OK - I think I am reading the form wrong - they need to check the box "IF" the vehicle requires it, and it is not present - thus I need to get that modification done. And because my model year never had one it is a non issue.
You got it

Its like if you buy a '65 Fairlane...they didn't come with OEM seat belts so you don't need to have them/add them if you bring the car into Canada.

Get notified of new replies

To Child safety restraints

Quick Reply: Child safety restraints