Canadian Events Canada, eh?

valvetrain update

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 01:08 AM
Swift_Striker
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Default valvetrain update

well good news bad news here, after spending the entire week working on the car I've made some progress!, the heads have been converted to screw in stud and the heads have been lapped for the valves. Right now the heads are reassembled and ready to go on.

(this is a sight for sore eyes, what a loooong week)

The new camshaft is already in with a new timing chain
(where the camshaft go?)

(there it is!)

bad news this week has cost me way more than expected. I wont have the money to finish it all I still need hoses for my remote thermostat and I need to mount it somewhere. I also still need to make that pulley bracket but I don't even have the money for that, now the worst part is I need new valve covers because the new rockers wont fit under my old ones
Old 02-24-2008, 05:44 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

What are your plans with this motor?
Old 02-24-2008, 10:34 AM
use2bl8
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jason, Good progress this week.

Don't worry all motor projects take more money than expected. I know you can get'r'done! Just might take a bit longer. Maybe you'll find a cheap pair of valve covers.

Think of all the money your saving doing it your self.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:03 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Jason, you are actually making great progress.. have you written down all the remaining parts you need and sourced/priced them out?

I am obsessed with spreadsheets and projects but it helps me prioritize the funds ...hehe. Where are you ordering from?
Old 02-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Swift_Striker
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

well, my plans for this motor are modest, I just picked up an LT1 intake at christmas and so I wanted a new cam for it, then I decided to just overhaul the whole valvetrain. Being a student at McMaster I have hardly any money to do exactly what I want I would have loved some AFR heads, new pistons, etc. But that'll all have to wait, it will come one day.

As for spreadsheets I did away with those once I realized I kept missing tools and pieces I need to finish the project, too many unexpected things happened. Next time I might try a bit harder to think of what I need... and also not do reengineering to the engine (like changing the rocker studs to screw in).

I order from where I can, the camshaft I ordered from Canadian Tire which made me feel dirty but it was a comp cams cam and it had the specs I wanted. The gaskets, nobody had, spent an entire day looking for them until carquest ordered them in. the rockers, springs and lifters all came from forum members.

Thanks for the encouragement it has been a bit of a tough week (and I'll be rewarded by going back to school tomorrow ) I think I've saved 1000$ by doing it myself it's just quite the hard work.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep plugging at it buddy. Been there done that. I spent a winter in University rebuilding my motorcycle engine. I had the bike in my dining room because I didn't have a garage at the time. I had an apartment and brought the bike up in the service elevator at 2:00am so the landlord didn't see me. Just remember School is the priority and down the road many Vettes with many mods will be in your future I'm sure. Good Luck.

Get notified of new replies

To valvetrain update

Quick Reply: valvetrain update