Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Strange Situation with my Computer Module! Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 05:43 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Strange Situation with my Computer Module! Suggestions?

Well on Monday ... had the day off ... weather was nice ... decide I would take my car over to Redline Performance to get my car dyno-tuned.

Car was strapped down ... computer was hooked up ... I had my camera already Then the tech asks me "Did you have your PMC tuned and locked?" ... I said "Yep, when I had my intake, headers, etc. installed ... Stingray's sent my modul to the US for a mailorder tune based on the components being installed on the car"

Well the company locked their tune ... Redline looked to see if they had the original '05 C6 6speed programing ... and they would just reflash the chip... no luck ... so they called the GM dealership down the road ... they said they would do it ... so off I go

I spent an hour at the dealership ... wondering why it takes so long to reflash the chip ... at the end though ... I just about poped a few blood vessels! The tech tells me that the program ran almost all the way to the end, and then when it came time for the chip to actually be reflashed with the original programing ... it was kicked out by the program residing in the module at this point ... the tech thinks that the company that reprogramed the chip actually over wrote the GM software (rather than just tweeking certain values on particular tables) ... so they could do nothing!

I don't want to have to send the module back down to the US to be reflashed back to the original programing, if I can help it, anyone know of a shop up here that can do it?????

Mark
Old 03-05-2008, 06:38 PM
BRIANSC6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes this sounds wierd, I am interested as well as to the solution. I did not know there was a type of tune that could not be overwirtten by the dealer by flashing it back to the stock tune. That is truly scary that there is something a tuner could do that could snooker a GM dealer downloading a sock tune.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:22 PM
use2bl8
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark,

Sounds like the tune is locked or a custom OS was used. Anyone with tuning software will have the same results as Redline. My advise would be to get the mail order tune removed, they should put it back to stock for free. Then get the car locally tuned.

Another alternative is to replace the PCM.

My 98 was locked by a tune the previous owner had. I had no idea who the tuner was but fortunately the dealer was able to return it to stock.

Jeff

Last edited by use2bl8; 03-05-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:25 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by use2bl8
Mark,

Sounds like the tune is locked or a custom OS was used. Anyone with tuning software will have the same results as Redline. My advise would be to get the mail order tune removed and get the car locally tuned. They should put it back to stock for free.

Another alternative is to replace the PCM.

Jeff
The plan is to get Redline to tune the car... but we need to get it flashed back to stock ... GM Dealership cannot ... do you know who can?
Old 03-05-2008, 07:43 PM
CDN/AZ LT4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is unfortunate. It would be interesting to know who the US tuner is.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:20 PM
use2bl8
Drifting

Originally Posted by CDN_Wolf_eh
The plan is to get Redline to tune the car... but we need to get it flashed back to stock ... GM Dealership cannot ... do you know who can?
The only one who can, is the original tuner, IMO. Call them and ask, tell them you want to go back to stock. You most likely will have to send in your PCM again.

Once it's back to stock anyone can tune it, make sure they don't lock it again. As mentioned the other way is to replace the PCM... few hundred bucks.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:42 PM
use2bl8
Drifting

Remember this thread from a while ago...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1737744&page=2

Explains locking and custom OS.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:17 PM
use2bl8
Drifting

Mark, were you able to resolve this?

Get notified of new replies

To Strange Situation with my Computer Module! Suggestions?

Quick Reply: Strange Situation with my Computer Module! Suggestions?