Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Clear Coat Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 10:22 AM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

Default Clear Coat Wheels

Has anyone had success clear coating wheels? My clear coat is flaking in a few spots, I was thinking about stripping them completely, polishing, and re-clearing them.....
I've had great results polishing aluminum truck wheels, they look awesome for a while, my vette wheels could look as good but I'd only want to have it done once....
Old 03-10-2008, 11:15 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

No experience with this, but I suspect it would be pretty expensive. One suggestion you may not have considered is actually getting new wheels.

I got a GREAT price on mine, brand new chrome ZO6 repros, from Corvette Garage (supporting US vendor) and they were something like $800 for all four! GREAT bang for the buck, just a thought.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:28 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

No, but I can recommend a shop that does.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:34 AM
WildWilly55
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 92 Posts

I believe there is a guy in Kitchener called Rim Doctor??? I have heard some good results from this individual---I will try and locate a number???
Old 03-10-2008, 12:08 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

I'm familiar with the guys like Rim Doctor and Wheel Wizzards, as I had a repair done once before, but I can get the polishing done very inexpensively, and as far as the clearing goes, it would only cost me the material... I had considered getting chrome wheels (replicas) but I'm just letting my mind wander on a crappy day with lousy weather..... after all, last year at this time I was driving around in my vette!
Old 03-10-2008, 12:10 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Originally Posted by corrado
No experience with this, but I suspect it would be pretty expensive. One suggestion you may not have considered is actually getting new wheels.

I got a GREAT price on mine, brand new chrome ZO6 repros, from Corvette Garage (supporting US vendor) and they were something like $800 for all four! GREAT bang for the buck, just a thought.
Yep - the price is pretty good for repros now with the $$ at this level.... I may just do that yet.....the chrome ones always look the best....
Old 03-10-2008, 12:35 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dankhts
I'm familiar with the guys like Rim Doctor and Wheel Wizzards, as I had a repair done once before, but I can get the polishing done very inexpensively, and as far as the clearing goes, it would only cost me the material... I had considered getting chrome wheels (replicas) but I'm just letting my mind wander on a crappy day with lousy weather..... after all, last year at this time I was driving around in my vette!

hehe, for someone that might not have a lot of free time but would love to have his wheels polished inexpensively, where would that person go? it takes me hours and hours to polish my wheels up
Old 03-10-2008, 01:15 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

I looked into having my C5Z wheels stripped, polished out, and cleared instead of repainted and I found that I could buy new polished repro Z wheels cheaper at about 500 bucks a set on ebay. That's what I did and I still have the stock set if I want to sell the car. If you are going to do it you have to watch what you use to polish out the wheels with as it can react with the clear and you might have to start all over again. I figured for the money it wasn't worth the hassle as I know I would've screwed it up somehow...

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 03-10-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:50 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

I stripped the flaking clear coat off my C6 5-spokes and they came out gleaming. I have left them bare - easy to polish with any good quality metal polish.

Give me a call 416 706 0439 and I can provide details.

Jack
Old 03-12-2008, 10:52 AM
dankhts
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Vetting North
I stripped the flaking clear coat off my C6 5-spokes and they came out gleaming. I have left them bare - easy to polish with any good quality metal polish.

Give me a call 416 706 0439 and I can provide details.

Jack
I have a guy who polishes all my used heavy trucks on weekends... does the aluminum wheels etc, he'd do my vette.... what did you use to get all the clear coat off? How long does your shine last between polishishing?
Old 03-12-2008, 03:17 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

PM'd you....
Old 03-17-2008, 10:03 AM
carznplanz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can recommend Wheel Wizards in Hamilton. Used them 3 times on my wifes Acura to remove curb rash and redo the clear coat . They also did a great job on polishing my C-3 aluminium rims, they looked as close to chrome as you could get with aluminum. I don't have the phone number handy, but they are located on Barton.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:18 AM
dankhts
Safety Car

Originally Posted by carznplanz
I can recommend Wheel Wizards in Hamilton. Used them 3 times on my wifes Acura to remove curb rash and redo the clear coat . They also did a great job on polishing my C-3 aluminium rims, they looked as close to chrome as you could get with aluminum. I don't have the phone number handy, but they are located on Barton.
Right on, I've used them to fix up 2 of my vette wheels already, they did a great job on the curb rash and the clearcoat, but the clearcoat is comming off on one rim, no more warranty on their workmanship.... I think I'll either strip them myself and get them polished, or go for some nice aftermarket chrome wheels....
We've also got a set of custom made Boyds comming via him for our old Camaro...

Get notified of new replies

To Clear Coat Wheels

Quick Reply: Clear Coat Wheels