Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Tomorrow's Gas Prices Today

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 05:35 PM
squalo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tomorrow's Gas Prices Today

Here is a link to MP Dan McTeague's website where he posts "tomorrow's gas prices today".

http://www.mcteague.ca/WebPages/gas_price_today.htm
Old 05-27-2008, 07:40 PM
BRIANSC6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he knows the gas prices in the future it proves that politicians are in kahoots with the oil companies to set gas prices.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:51 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,940 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by BRIANSC6
If he knows the gas prices in the future it proves that politicians are in kahoots with the oil companies to set gas prices.
He actually gets his prices based on the rack price (or wholesale price) of gasoline which is set every afternoon. If that rack price goes up by 1 cent from the previous day, then the gas price the next morning also goes up by 1 cents. So anyone with access to those rack prices can calculate the next morning's gas price. Anyone who owns a gas station will have access to those rack prices, so Dan only needs to have a friend with a gas station in order to access that info.

From time to time Dan's site will be wrong, because the retailers will throw him for a loop by tacking on a little bit extra profit for themselves and set the price a little higher.

A few weeks ago Dan predicted we would see 95 cent gasoline this summer, and at this point in time it looks like that prediction is completely way off. Unless a miracle happens and the price of crude drops $30 a barrel, we're not going to see gas anywhere near that cheap this summer at all.

I follow gas prices quite a bit (I've been a member of torontogasprices.com for 4 years now, and participate on the site every single day) and in my experience, gas prices usually stay rather stable from May through August, then they start to drop quite drastically in the fall. So I found it quite odd that Dan would think the price would drop this summer.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:55 PM
electric_yogurt
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I always get a kick(?) out of how the global oil economy knows when there's a provincial holiday long weekend here in Alberta and raises the price 3-4 cents per liter a few days before and then comes back down just after.

And then there's the Stampede. The price always goes up 5-6 cents a good week before and comes back down 1-2 weeks after.

Isn't it fascinating how the "global oil prices" are so linked to these seemingly local events?

Get notified of new replies

To Tomorrow's Gas Prices Today

Quick Reply: Tomorrow's Gas Prices Today