Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Dyno Weekend Wrapup

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Highway Hawk
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Dyno Weekend Wrapup

Well it has been a glorious and fun weekend of dynos and tuning. Not sure when I'll get my hearing back!

Thanks to all who came out whether it was to get in on the action or for support and hanging out. Special thanks go out to Manny for pulling it all together and for Mike at DL Motorsports for the use of the shop and the dyno.

For anyone that had doubts in the past or are sitting on the fence, you need to give your keys to Mr. Chuck Mosello for an hour as soon as you get the chance. I saw so many ear-to-ear grins this weekend, you'd swear we held the event at Solid Gold instead.

Speaking for myself, I am one extremely happy camper! Let's just say that my difficulties in breaking loose the very sticky Toyo tires are a thing of the past. My car now pulls like a team of mules with flamethrowers tied to their tails. It's like driving a different car. Here's the final run showing I've picked up a little over 35 HP at the rear wheels over stock and that is from only a Vararam, LG headers, and Corsa exhaust, all else is stock. As was stated many times before in other threads, the max HP numbers don't even begin to tell the whole story because Chuck works most of his magic in the driveability zone where you spend most of your time. You have to feel it for yourself.

To the rest of the guys that joined in, feel free to post up your results or PM me your e-mail address to get the Dyno run files as Mike gave them all to me before I left today. I have been unable to get the viewer software to convert to a JPG so I had to do a regular print, then scan, upload, and post here. I just have way too many files to take on that task for all of them. You can get the Dyno file viewer software at www.dynojet.com or just scan the hard copy Mike gave you.

Also post up the pictures and videos you took so we can have a great record of the weekend.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Highway Hawk
Melting Slicks

Oh and I forgot, Ed, Mike wanted me to tell you that the Dyno is A-Ok, no ill effects from your car taking it to the rev limit.

We kept her under 300 all day today.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:58 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

great post,great guys,it was a blast,but that %^$* Manny got me hook line and sinker,he told my wife if he spends x dollars on his car he gives her,I told him stop or I will take him out at the knees,he stuttered,then said half.I about took him out at the ankles for that,as I had been getting away with 20 percent,

Then he and Steve cut me a deal on z06 npp's,and a mild to wild switch,and an H pipe and install,and made the price known to her,sheese.Up until now it had been a real cheap weekend, now I owe her half,
see you soon Manny,but I may be bringing Vito,

Thanks for setting this all up Manny,and Mike,it is a great Dyno setup.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Highway Hawk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NOCRISIS
great post,great guys,it was a blast,but that %^$* Manny got me hook line and sinker,he told my wife if he spends x dollars on his car he gives her,I told him stop or I will take him out at the knees,he stuttered,then said half.I about took him out at the ankles for that,as I had been getting away with 20 percent,

Then he and Steve cut me a deal on z06 npp's,and a mild to wild switch,and an H pipe and install,and made the price known to her,sheese.Up until now it had been a real cheap weekend, now I owe her half,
see you soon Manny,but I may be bringing Vito,

Thanks for setting this all up Manny,and Mike,it is a great Dyno setup.
20% eh, looks like you may have some catching up to do Rick, I'd try to get away with that but it's too cold yet to be sleeping outside.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:24 PM
CDN/AZ LT4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Chuck's Tune

Peter, I couldn't agree with you more. I'm not normally a "group" sort of guy but I have to admit, I had a lot of fun on Friday meeting some nice guys and their toys. Manny is definitely "da man" for setting this up and getting Chuck to Canada. I would bet that as the word get out about the tunes, there should be no problem getting him again for a bunch new converts. Chuck is approachable and just keeps tinkering until he gets the set up he's looking for. I think he's a "witch doctor". As for my tune on a 06 A6. It's a different car. The shifts are crisp both up and down. The power is very noticeable, especially in the lower RPMs. I sat in bumper to bumper traffic coming home, somewhat frustrated that I couldn't "play" a little. On Saturday I asked a good friend of mine who had driven the Vette before and asked if he felt a difference when he drove it again. He had this silly smile on his face all the way to DL motorsports to see how the Saturday session was going. I drove it home Saturday and as we pulled out onto Hertitage we decided to shut off the traction control and step on it. Two stupid kids with silly grins. I was out in the Vette early this morning and truly it's not the same car I had last Thursday. I would heartily recommend a tune from Chuck Cow not only for the autos a I witnessed some happy faces on the "stick" guys too. Manny thanks for making it happen. For Chucks' benefit we should probably be posting in the Tech section so that our American friends cann read about this too. All the best guys, Peter
Old 06-01-2008, 07:34 PM
CDN/AZ LT4
Racer

I would add that if you want to put some numbers you can use my dyno numbers. I know there was another A6 that had the LG headers and compared to mine that doesn't have the headers, I believe he was pulling around 30+ more HP's then me...a ringing endorsement to leave your cheque book and Vette with Manny for a day or two. Manny is **** and meticulous with cars, just the kind of guy you want crawling under and around your car. The fact that he's a nice guy to is just an added bonus. I feel some new rear gears coming on.....Peter
Old 06-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Highway Hawk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CDN/AZ C6
I would add that if you want to put some numbers you can use my dyno numbers. I know there was another A6 that had the LG headers and compared to mine that doesn't have the headers, I believe he was pulling around 30+ more HP's then me...a ringing endorsement to leave your cheque book and Vette with Manny for a day or two. Manny is **** and meticulous with cars, just the kind of guy you want crawling under and around your car. The fact that he's a nice guy to is just an added bonus. I feel some new rear gears coming on.....Peter
Hey Pete, what is your license plate? The files were organized by plate not forum handle.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by DigitalZ
I have been unable to get the viewer software to convert to a JPG so I had to do a regular print, then scan, upload, and post here.
Why not just do a screen capture and paste into a graphics app like MS Paint? Saves you the trouble of printing and scanning. MS-Paint will give you a BMP format and there are free tools on the internet to convert from BMP to JPG.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Highway Hawk
Melting Slicks

Thought of that but still a pain to do for that many files. I'll work on a few tomorrow. Need to catch up on the zzzz's now, damn thing called work in the morning.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:31 PM
75 Stingray!
Drifting

open your BMP with MSpaint, File-> save as-> now under the File Name tab there is another tab (Save as type) click the drop down and select JPEG -> now click Save, it's that Simple to convert a bmp

or send me the dyno runs and I’ll post them for you (I have the software WinPEP 7) I can then change the KPH to RPM for you and add the torque graph in as well
Old 06-02-2008, 12:33 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts

Video

Last edited by JETZ; 06-02-2008 at 02:20 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:16 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 667 Likes on 446 Posts

Just have to keep reinforcing everyone's comments...

I remember the day I brought my car home for the first time and thought nothing could be more fun - until I drove it after my tune on Friday. In love all over again

Thakns Manny and Chuck (and your supporting cast)
Old 06-02-2008, 11:17 AM
C6SUMMER
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Weekend Dyno run short Video

Here's a short video of my dyno run.

Just came back from another drive. Still smiling!
Old 06-02-2008, 01:41 PM
TorontoC6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll add my thanks and appreciation to Chuck, Manny, and Mike. We are lucky to have access to people with so much talent. We ran into a problem with my ECM but Chuck and Manny, demonstrated their commitment to perfection, and got things sorted out. Due to the problems, I don't have a dyno for after the tune but then again, I don't need it (as Peter alluded to above, we oversped the dyno - 320km/h). As has been described by others, Chuck's A6 tune transforms the car.

Before the tune, I used to always drive in 'S' mode and control shifts myself. This was due to the poor responsiveness of the engine/transmission. Throttle response while cruising was lazy unless you put your foot well into it. Then it would downshift a couple of gears and give you too much (and very scary in low traction situations). Now the car is more responsive to throttle, it shifts down more progressively and shifts up and down more firmly. Bottom line is that I can drive it in 'D' and the transmission responds they way a good auto transmission should (e.g. like my previous Audi's).

Many people ask about dyno numbers and make judgements based on peak numbers. There are enough guys from this tuning session posting dyno numbers that prove Chuck's competence and that his tunes produce as much and in many cases more power than others. For me, the value comes from Chuck's approach, in which he tunes the car for driveability and to suite the owner. For example, we could have been more agressive with the timing and got a few more horsepower (given that I use Ultra 94). But seeing as I track the car (for fun, not competetively) we elected to be a little more conservative.

For the record, my dyno before the tune was 355 hp, 362 ft lb of torque. Mods are LG Pro, Vararam, 160 Thermostat. This is on a Dynojet. I will post the graph later.

Thanks to Manny who did the arranging, coordinating and worked side by side with Chuck. Some people would be intimidated by Chuck but Manny held his own.

Lastly, it was great spending the day with a bunch of unselfish, well educated enthusiasts, who appreciate and respect each other and know how to share a passion. Long live the 'un-club'

Ed
Old 06-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Highway Hawk
Melting Slicks

Here's Pierre's run on the Dyno. This is pre-tune only since he was having so much fun driving the car after the tune he neglected to come back for a post-tune pull.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:27 PM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 227 Likes on 118 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Sounds like a good time by all and nice numbers!!!

Great work Manny and Chuck, both class acts.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:55 PM
SilverSurferC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DigitalZ
Here's Pierre's run on the Dyno. This is pre-tune only since he was having so much fun driving the car after the tune he neglected to come back for a post-tune pull.

I did! I had so much fun that the OPP almost considered "joining me" in all that. Thanks Manny. Chuck you are one Kewl Cat and a wizard at that!

Get notified of new replies

To Dyno Weekend Wrapup

Old 06-02-2008, 06:08 PM
WildWilly55
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 94 Posts

Sorry I missed the deal!!!!---but glad everyone had fun---Rogues Pierre--sorry I missed you my friend---looks like a big grin on that face!!! Heheheheheheheheh!!!! Hey Chuck if I get in your neighbourhood I will drop in to see you personally---which in this profession can happen very easily!!!!
Old 06-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Highway Hawk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WildWilly55
Sorry I missed the deal!!!!---but glad everyone had fun---Rogues Pierre--sorry I missed you my friend---looks like a big grin on that face!!! Heheheheheheheheh!!!! Hey Chuck if I get in your neighbourhood I will drop in to see you personally---which in this profession can happen very easily!!!!
Wild man, we missed you this weekend but we felt you were there in spirit. Get back soon my friend.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:18 PM
BRIANSC6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks to Manny who worked is but off this weekend organizing this and making sure it ran smoothly. I echo everyone's sentiments on the noticeable difference especially in the midrange. I think it is important to note along with what Chuck does for performance he is also making sure that the orchestra which is our engine and components are playing nicely with each other for longevity, and emissions reasons. I liked that Chuck did not make you feel like he was rushing to get thu you and on to the next guy he took his time and explained everything.

Quick Reply: Dyno Weekend Wrapup