Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 08:06 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 227 Likes on 118 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Portable tire kit pump?!

Hey buds.

Been running non run-flats for a while, I know I really should get a small tire fix/compressor. Want one that will fit in one of the compartments in my trunk.

Seen a few brands at crappy tire and lots on the internet. Anyone know a decent one? Or any to stay away from? I also don't want to spend a zillion dollars on one just because it has a Corvette logo on it.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:30 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 667 Likes on 446 Posts

Hey Corrado,

The pumps are pretty much a commodity now - so most brands will do - (Cdn Tire) places them on sale pretty frequently.

I carry a compressor and can of tire fill, but I recently read that the tire fill can screw up the Tire Pressure Sender if you use it - it basically gums up the sensor and could result in your needing to replace it. So I also purchased a tire plug kit - one of those old fashioned tools where you insert a plug from the outside - the way shops used to repair tires. A plug will easily get you to a facility where a full repair can be installed from the inside of the tire.

Jack
Old 06-13-2008, 09:25 AM
Bishs
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLUE HVN
I carry a compressor and can of tire fill, but I recently read that the tire fill can screw up the Tire Pressure Sender if you use it - it basically gums up the sensor and could result in your needing to replace it. So I also purchased a tire plug kit - one of those old fashioned tools where you insert a plug from the outside - the way shops used to repair tires. A plug will easily get you to a facility where a full repair can be installed from the inside of the tire.
Jack
Also carry a container of soapy water to locate a leak if you get one. A small dish wash soap squeeze bottle works great.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Can86Z51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corrado
Hey buds.

Been running non run-flats for a while, I know I really should get a small tire fix/compressor. Want one that will fit in one of the compartments in my trunk.

Seen a few brands at crappy tire and lots on the internet. Anyone know a decent one? Or any to stay away from? I also don't want to spend a zillion dollars on one just because it has a Corvette logo on it.
Have some experience with the small battery-powered air pumps, including 20+ years with m/cyles pre-86 Vette. If it will fit, would suggest one made for trucks - will pump up a Vette tire much faster, and will last much longer. Got mine years ago at WalMart. Forget the Corvette Logo stuff - generally 'VetteTax' stuff!
Old 06-13-2008, 11:24 AM
spicytuna
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a basic compressor I bought from Cdn Tire. The kind that has a pressure gauge and plugs into your cigarette lighter. I think it cost me around $10.

A few years ago, I had a flat on a fairly remote stretch of highway. It was getting dark, not a car in sight for hours and after slapping on my donut, I realized that it had no air.

No problem, I thought. I took out my compressor, plugged it into the lighter receptacle only to realize that my lighter port was dead! (Never had to use it before on my beater.)

I suddenly felt a little concerned... thinking that I might have to spend the night in my car when I was hit by a sudden burst of brilliance. I figured that I'd tap my battery! Out came the jumper cables as I carefully attached the large clamps to the male connector on the compressor and the other end to my battery.

Worked like a charm!

Ok... this is off topic but I'm bored at work...
Old 06-13-2008, 11:56 AM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 334 Likes on 208 Posts

Good idea about the soapy water, I never would have thought of that. I have a patch/plug kit in my garage, not much use there if I have a flat on the road, and I have a portable inflater on my boat for water toys - not much good there if I have a flat .... I may have to re-think this whole thing!!!
Only problem I can see, is that the portable inflater I have, works so slow and poorly, I think I'll try to find something better.....
Oh, and I'm bored at work too... I think I'll go to Port Dover it's Friday 13th....
if anybody else decides to go to Dover, stop by my boat at the city marina, look for "THE FOG DUCKER".....
Old 06-13-2008, 12:55 PM
WYCKD 1
Melting Slicks

Flat tire...doesn't my Gold CAA card cover that

I have a portable compressor from Canadian Tire & can of tire inflator...in my garage too...

lauri
Old 06-13-2008, 01:38 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was interested in buying too, but could not find a decent one, can tire got few but all crap. Iam all Ears someone come up with a good one.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:19 PM
4 KRUSIN
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WYCKD 1
Flat tire...doesn't my Gold CAA card cover that

I have a portable compressor from Canadian Tire & can of tire inflator...in my garage too...

lauri
Yep, got the whole shebang here. 2nd day out with 4KRUSIN this spring, I cut down one of my new GY GS D3's. My DIC warned me that my left rear tire was going flat. So I stop and added air, jump onto the 400 trying to get home before she goes flat, and guess what? The DIC lied. Now I get a message saying that the right has too much air and the left still has too little. Hmmm! It seems that when I got my new tires, they interchanged the left wheel for the right and the right for the left.

Now I'm thinkin I'm glad I've got the aformentioned kit cause it looks like I may need it. OH CRAP! It's all at home on my work bench.

Anyway, I get to the Hwy 88 cutoff headin for the truck stop for the much needed air, and get stopped by a cop for a seatbelt check. OMG, I'm not wearin it! In my haste to get down the road I didn't put it on. Fortunately, he was lookin the other way talking to a truck driver and I managed to fumble it on. He says to me "Just doin a seatbelt check sir" to which I replied "Thank you officer, I always wear mine"

Anyway, the rest of the trip home was uneventful. I learned 2 things from this experience:

1) Never believe everything your DIC tells you, and
2) Keep the kit in the trunk

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Portable tire kit pump?!

Quick Reply: Portable tire kit pump?!