Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Bumper Story in July 2008 World of Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 02:17 AM
cebars
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bumper Story in July 2008 World of Wheels

Hope Mr. Lamb's response to a magazine article on the bumper issue motivates you to sign the online petitions at:
www.petitiononline.com/lesscash
which asks for harmonization of motor vehicle safety and environmental regulations to stop the auto manufacturers from having the Canadian Government providing them with a government regualtion that enables them to charge Canadians more.

After two weeks this peitition only has approximately 75 names which is a dismal reflection of the interest of Canadians in this issue. It appears that few people are interested. If you care about this issue, please sign this petition and the one below.

The request for the petition to be circulated to the membership of each car club was sent to just about every car club in Canada two weeks ago...and only 75 people responded!!!

and
http://www.carswithoutborders.com/join-the-petition/http://www.carswithoutborders.com/join-the-petition/
which asks the Government for fair pricing for Canadians.

Response of Robert Lamb of www.carswithoutborders.com to Editor-in-Chief of World of Wheels Magazine re Bumper Story...

"Josef, we just read your article on the Bumper situation. We are very surprised that you did not develop the story.

Lawrence Cannon announced this back on May 1st. But are you aware of the back room positioning by Treasury Board members to stall and maybe even overturn the legislation. Are you aware that GM is rumored to be against this because it prevents Canadians from purchasing a Corvette in the US for a savings of over $25,000.

Are you aware, that even though Transport Canada invites the public to present at what they call “public forums” all information is confidential. They will not comment on who is against the change and who is holding it up……

A good reporter would find out why and who is holding up the changes…….

On another note, we would gladly volunteer to help you get the real facts!

And what about an article on fair pricing for Canadians!

Robert Lamb

"Keep your hard earned money in your own pocket!"

"Canadian Owner of a 2008 U.S Honda Civic saves over $5,500 ""

Last edited by cebars; 06-25-2008 at 02:21 AM.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by cebars
Hope Mr. Lamb's response to a magazine article on the bumper issue motivates you to sign the online petitions at:
www.petitiononline.com/lesscash
which asks for harmonization of motor vehicle safety and environmental regulations to stop the auto manufacturers from having the Canadian Government providing them with a government regualtion that enables them to charge Canadians more.

After two weeks this peitition only has approximately 75 names which is a dismal reflection of the interest of Canadians in this issue. It appears that few people are interested. If you care about this issue, please sign this petition and the one below.

The request for the petition to be circulated to the membership of each car club was sent to just about every car club in Canada two weeks ago...and only 75 people responded!!!

and
http://www.carswithoutborders.com/join-the-petition/http://www.carswithoutborders.com/join-the-petition/
which asks the Government for fair pricing for Canadians.

Response of Robert Lamb of www.carswithoutborders.com to Editor-in-Chief of World of Wheels Magazine re Bumper Story...

"Josef, we just read your article on the Bumper situation. We are very surprised that you did not develop the story.

Lawrence Cannon announced this back on May 1st. But are you aware of the back room positioning by Treasury Board members to stall and maybe even overturn the legislation. Are you aware that GM is rumored to be against this because it prevents Canadians from purchasing a Corvette in the US for a savings of over $25,000.

Are you aware, that even though Transport Canada invites the public to present at what they call “public forums” all information is confidential. They will not comment on who is against the change and who is holding it up……

A good reporter would find out why and who is holding up the changes…….

On another note, we would gladly volunteer to help you get the real facts!

And what about an article on fair pricing for Canadians!

Robert Lamb

"Keep your hard earned money in your own pocket!"

"Canadian Owner of a 2008 U.S Honda Civic saves over $5,500 ""

Well, I know some guys thought the bumper change would come as early as mid summer and were holding out to buy their Vettes. Being a pessimist myself I was not and am still not convinced this change will come anytime soon. SO I bought my Vette in May and instead of saving $20,000, I saved $18, 900, but I am am driving it and enjoying the summer instead of holding on for another $1100 and missing a whole summer of cruising....
Old 06-25-2008, 11:16 AM
mike_1103
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumpers are harmonized!!!

Originally Posted by Racer44
Well, I know some guys thought the bumper change would come as early as mid summer and were holding out to buy their Vettes. Being a pessimist myself I was not and am still not convinced this change will come anytime soon. SO I bought my Vette in May and instead of saving $20,000, I saved $18, 900, but I am am driving it and enjoying the summer instead of holding on for another $1100 and missing a whole summer of cruising....
You should have waited... it's done!

See for yourself: http://canadagazette.gc.ca/partII/20.../sor199-e.html

All details are there, including the fact that 24 canadian consumers wrote to express their view (I'm one of them) to harmonize the legislation.

Now, when will the 2008 Corvette become eligible?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:50 AM
rpanesar
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Finally
Old 06-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by mike_1103

See for yourself: http://canadagazette.gc.ca/partII/20.../sor199-e.html

All details are there, including the fact that 24 canadian consumers wrote to express their view (I'm one of them) to harmonize the legislation.

Now, when will the 2008 Corvette become eligible?
Cool, I still wouldn't of waited as when I want something I want it yesterday But.....I just got off the phone and the RIV says they just updated their Admissable list and you still need to do the Bumper mods. Somebody should tell them.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Yea, I also wonder what lame brain excuse GM is going to use now to prevent the 08's from coming up. Do you also think that the GTO will now be able to come across?
Old 06-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

This is yet another reason, why I never gamble when we go to Vegas....
Old 06-25-2008, 12:46 PM
mike_1103
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I just got off the phone and the RIV says they just updated their Admissable list and you still need to do the Bumper mods. Somebody should tell them.
The current list on the RIV website is dated 2008/06/13. I guess they'll take a few days/weeks to update.

Now, I'm contemplating the option of buying new from the States... So long for the canadian warranty, the closest US dealer is only 67 km away from my doorstep in Champlain, NY
Old 06-25-2008, 12:51 PM
mike_1103
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Yea, I also wonder what lame brain excuse GM is going to use now to prevent the 08's from coming up.
Yeah, I wonder too... The colors maybe?

Do you also think that the GTO will now be able to come across?
Should be, IMO. In fact, it seems manufacturers were looking for the harmonization... Here is a quote from the Canada Gazette:

Manufacturers indicated that harmonizing the test speeds will reduce the design, testing, certification and manufacturing costs, reduce vehicle mass, improve fuel economy as a result of the reduction in mass and improvement in aerodynamics, and will increase vehicle model availability in Canada.
This might also drive down used Corvete prices in Canada. No longer will Dealers and Importers try to convince us it cost them $2000 - $2500 for the bumpers modifications!
Old 06-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Well, at this time, it is yet, one more reason not to buy from Canadian dealers...... another $1000 - $1500 savings on certain model cars. I have been toying at buying the wife a new winter toy, so we went to a couple of different brand dealerships up here. They both bragged about US prices and major incentives to buy up here. Since I would be paying cash, I new exactly what these great prices were as I negotiated fiercely .........NOT EVEN CLOSE to advertised prices at dealerships in the US . My dollar will continue to go south until somebody up here sees the light. I did buy my wife's 07 Solstice Turbo GXP up here and I am still kicking myself for doing so.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:04 PM
c6ike
Advanced

This is great news! I was looking for a decent 07 but now I can have 08up!!!
Old 06-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by c6ike

I see the RIV had updated their web site but not the list of Admissable Vehicles....yet.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:44 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 667 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by c6ike
Hello LS3
Old 06-25-2008, 03:50 PM
mike_1103
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default RIV list to be updated in a couple of days...

I see the RIV had updated their web site but not the list of Admissable Vehicles....yet.
According to http://www.carswithoutborders.com, it should be updated in a couple of days

Get notified of new replies

To Bumper Story in July 2008 World of Wheels

Quick Reply: Bumper Story in July 2008 World of Wheels