Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Pontiac Montana SV6 as DD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Can86Z51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pontiac Montana SV6 as DD?

No - not planning on giving up the Vette, but as a DD, and to help me with my recent retirement, I'm looking at buying a new Pontiac Montana SV6. GM currently has a special on them in Ontario - 18K decently equipped, with a 3.9 V6 & 4 speed Auto. Any Canuck CF members have any experience with these? Sounds like a great buy?? Any naysayers, or things to look out for? Cheers.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:59 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

My brother bought one just because they were so cheap. Haven't heard any complaints and he owns an older one too
Old 06-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Ratsirt
Burning Brakes

We purchased one new for my wife in 2005. Prior to warranty expiring the front rotors required turning twice and now just after warranty expiring I had to replace discs at my cost due they were turned to mins. Also trim was falling off months after purchase and required replacement.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:22 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 56 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Thought they stopped making them

Anyways, know people who have had 04/05/06's, nothing but good reports
Old 06-30-2008, 07:29 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I owned a 97,2000,and a 2003,excellant vehicles,good on gas,reliable.The only major issue was a leaky head gasket,had one and it was repaired under warranty.
Funny you post this as I was sitting in one today waiting for my Vette to be finished (being detailed,another thread).
I thought,man these are nice cars for 18 grand!
Old 06-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Can86Z51
Instructor

Originally Posted by NOCRISIS
I owned a 97,2000,and a 2003,excellant vehicles,good on gas,reliable.The only major issue was a leaky head gasket,had one and it was repaired under warranty.
Funny you post this as I was sitting in one today waiting for my Vette to be finished (being detailed,another thread).
I thought,man these are nice cars for 18 grand!
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too! Never thought I would buy a 'loser-cruiser', but I'm planning a move out of the GTA, and thought for the money, it would be useful in looking for my new digs, then hauling some of my stuff to the new place. Probably down in/near Prince Edward County, or possibly in the other direction, to the Chatham/Leamington area. My brother's family have vacationed in PEC for years - a magical place! But it's semi-country, so to retire there - well a decent DD that can handle light hauling duty, and be long term reliable, would be very useful. And the price looks right!? Thanks for any feedback! Ciao!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:31 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Can86Z51
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too! Never thought I would buy a 'loser-cruiser', but I'm planning a move out of the GTA, and thought for the money, it would be useful in looking for my new digs, then hauling some of my stuff to the new place. Probably down in/near Prince Edward County, or possibly in the other direction, to the Chatham/Leamington area. My brother's family have vacationed in PEC for years - a magical place! But it's semi-country, so to retire there - well a decent DD that can handle light hauling duty, and be long term reliable, would be very useful. And the price looks right!? Thanks for any feedback! Ciao!
I lived in Cosecon,and a bit in Windsor,which is to hot for me in the summer.Nice roads and sleddin in Belville and surounding area.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:45 AM
Jon04CTSV
Burning Brakes

I had one as a loaner and truth be told my '96 Windstar drives better than that thing.

The steering is so light you feel so disconnected from the road.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:49 AM
use2bl8
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For a few years the wife has been wanting a mini-van and I have been holding her off, saying our Envoy has plenty room. But she wanted a 7 passenger for the odd times when her parents are with us.

My dad who works in a leasing dept. found a 05 Montana SV6 which was a trade in, only had 37k and drove like it was new. It was under 11 grand, including taxes. Has a few minor things which got fixed under warranty, plastic interior trim, but overall it appears to be inexpensive, reliable, and can hold a lot of people or with the seats out, a lot of stuff, but not both as it's not an extended version.

We're moving to Whitby so for the next two weeks I'll be hauling stuff out there using the van, personally I rather do it in four times as many trips using the Vette, but with the price of gas, don't think the wife will go for that.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:08 AM
Can86Z51
Instructor

Originally Posted by use2bl8
For a few years the wife has been wanting a mini-van and I have been holding her off, saying our Envoy has plenty room. But she wanted a 7 passenger for the odd times when her parents are with us.

My dad who works in a leasing dept. found a 05 Montana SV6 which was a trade in, only had 37k and drove like it was new. It was under 11 grand, including taxes. Has a few minor things which got fixed under warranty, plastic interior trim, but overall it appears to be inexpensive, reliable, and can hold a lot of people or with the seats out, a lot of stuff, but not both as it's not an extended version.

We're moving to Whitby so for the next two weeks I'll be hauling stuff out there using the van, personally I rather do it in four times as many trips using the Vette, but with the price of gas, don't think the wife will go for that.
I hear ya! I was driving the Vette very litte before - even less lately. But still a thrill, after all these years Know the Montana would just be an appliance of course, but thanks to all for any thoughts or opinions. Anyone else?
Old 07-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Can86Z51
I hear ya! I was driving the Vette very litte before - even less lately. But still a thrill, after all these years Know the Montana would just be an appliance of course, but thanks to all for any thoughts or opinions. Anyone else?
I checked out an Ontario dealer online about this deal, the one thing I noticed was no mention of AC, but the Chev Outlander has AC listed for the same deal. Was that just an omission on the Montana?

BTW, I' had a '96 and a '00, the only major thing that went on both at ~170K was the tranny, but I had the '96 until 342K with no other major issues!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Can86Z51
Instructor

Originally Posted by Miaugi
I checked out an Ontario dealer online about this deal, the one thing I noticed was no mention of AC, but the Chev Outlander has AC listed for the same deal. Was that just an omission on the Montana?

BTW, I' had a '96 and a '00, the only major thing that went on both at ~170K was the tranny, but I had the '96 until 342K with no other major issues!
Thanks! As far as I have found checking the GM/Canada/Ontario sites, the 2008-Montana SV6 deal, does include AC. As well as Stabilitrak,ABS, power door locks,windows, etc. Fairly well equipped, except no cruise control? And a $6200 price drop!

Get notified of new replies

To Pontiac Montana SV6 as DD?

Quick Reply: Pontiac Montana SV6 as DD?