Need Help with Side Cover Screens

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,515 Likes on 823 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Default Need Help with Side Cover Screens

I just received mine which I ordered through a CF Supporting Vendor.

However, I don't have a jack or a torque wrench, nor any experience in jacking up my C6, I was wondering if anybody would be willing to assist me, just a thought. Here are the installation instructions to give an idea of what is involved:

"Raise the front of the vehicle (use jack stands) or support on a lift according to the owners manual.Remove the front wheel and remove the black plastic push in retainers that secure the inner wheel well closeout panel.Position the closeout panel down ward to gain access to the side vent deflector shield.The side vent deflector is secured to the inside of the fender with double sided tape.Dislodge the side vent deflector from the inner fender.Position the stainless steel side cove screen in place to become familiar with the fit.Prep the mounting surfase with the supplied alcohol swabs.Allow the prepped surface to dry at least 5 minutes before mounting the screen.Once the area is prepped,remove the double sided stick tape backing and install the screen."
Old 07-07-2008, 03:29 PM
FFIN90
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================ From Toronto ================ 9/11/01 FDNY 343 R.I.P.
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'13-'14

I dont know about the C6, but on my C5 I didn't have to remove the wheel, just turned it to one side and this gave me enough room to remove the access panel.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:42 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 56 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

If you'd like, you can come up to my place and we can it it in my garage. I'm north of Newmarket, in Sutton.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:00 PM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 227 Likes on 118 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Mr MAX, you don't need to jack up the car at all. You don't even need to remove the wheels, but you should turn them so they are not in the way.

These are not hard to install, but the opening is small so it will kill your forearms sliding them in there. My arms were red for a week, but worth it. Its also a pain removing the plastic retaining pins inside the wheel wells.

Next time I see you, I can give you some pointers, if you haven't already done them.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by corrado
Mr MAX, you don't need to jack up the car at all. You don't even need to remove the wheels, but you should turn them so they are not in the way.

These are not hard to install, but the opening is small so it will kill your forearms sliding them in there. My arms were red for a week, but worth it. Its also a pain removing the plastic retaining pins inside the wheel wells.

Next time I see you, I can give you some pointers, if you haven't already done them.
Corrado, thanks, any tips you can give will be appreciated. Is it easy to damage the retaining pins, I don't want to actually make things worse.

Originally Posted by RAGGDOLL
If you'd like, you can come up to my place and we can it it in my garage. I'm north of Newmarket, in Sutton.
Thanks for the offer Mike, PM sent.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Konstantin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pankaj, i am local, i live right next to fortino's. i have ramps and a jack you can either borrow or do it at my place and i'll give you a hand. let me know if you still need it.

- Kons
Old 07-07-2008, 11:45 PM
frankmp
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Konstantin
Pankaj, i am local, i live right next to fortino's. i have ramps and a jack you can either borrow or do it at my place and i'll give you a hand. let me know if you still need it.

- Kons
Now that's a nice forum member offering the ramps and jack AND even a hand

Frank
Old 07-08-2008, 09:35 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 227 Likes on 118 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Konstantin's the man!
Take him up on the offer!

It isn't hard, more frustrating, the clips can be a pain to come off, I pried mine off with pliers and a screwdriver, probably not the best tools, but all I had. Some of them come off easier than others.

Once you get the wheel well opening moved out of the way, its just a matter of getting your arm in there, and its tight, my arms are not big, but they were still hurting! Just make sure you clean the area where the 3M sticky part will go, (they should supply you with an alcohol swad, if not use some. Also, make sure its in the right spot, I screwed my first one up, re-did it, but the 3M didn't stick well enough the seceond time. So I had to go back in and use some high temp RTV glue (tip from BriansC6 ) Do that at night so the car can sit, that glue takes long to dry, but once its set its permanant. Mine have been good for over a year now.

Its not really as hard as it seems. You can do it!!!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:18 AM
ly n low
Racer

Actually Corrado"s arms are big i seen them first hand at Mikes ,silicone also works well to hold them in place thats what i used on my C5.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Default Done

Thanks to Konstantin, my screens are in place today and they are looking amazing. Thanks again.

Thanks to Mike (Raggdoll) for your offer to help too.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:26 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 56 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
Thanks to Konstantin, my screens are in place today and they are looking amazing. Thanks again.

Thanks to Mike (Raggdoll) for your offer to help too.
Way to go guys
Old 07-10-2008, 12:48 AM
Konstantin
Pro

Pankaj, i only offered to help cause i thought that chick from your avatar will come with you ... u fooled me ! j/k. they look good on the car, i should do mine too.

- Kons
Old 07-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Where are the pics?

Old 07-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zeeman28a