Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Q for any Canadians who've imported a GM in the last 8 months

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:14 PM
TGstring
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Q for any Canadians who've imported a GM in the last 8 months

Brief question (since I want to keep my experiences and opinions of the RIV to myself..."if you don't have anything good to say, don't say it at all"...)

This question is for those who have imported a GM vehicle only, in the last 8 months or so ONLY.

Did you get your recall letter from GM Canada? or were you able to get one from a US GM dealer that met the criteria for acceptance by the RIV?

This $250 gouging has me seeing red and I don't want to go that route if I can avoid it.

ALSO, was there any "gas guzzler" tax for the C5? if so, how much?

Thanks in advance,
Tommy
Old 07-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by TGstring
Brief question (since I want to keep my experiences and opinions of the RIV to myself..."if you don't have anything good to say, don't say it at all"...)

This question is for those who have imported a GM vehicle only, in the last 8 months or so ONLY.

Did you get your recall letter from GM Canada? or were you able to get one from a US GM dealer that met the criteria for acceptance by the RIV?

This $250 gouging has me seeing red and I don't want to go that route if I can avoid it.

ALSO, was there any "gas guzzler" tax for the C5? if so, how much?

Thanks in advance,
Tommy
I qualify to answer since I have brought 3 GM's up in the last 8 months, one as recently as 1.5 months ago. Not once did I pay the $250 for a recall clearance letter. Every time I had the US GM dealer do a Vehicle System Summary Inquiry and faxed it to the RIV and they accepted it.

Also, no gas guzzler taxes on Corvettes.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:53 PM
z060-0
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer44
I qualify to answer since I have brought 3 GM's up in the last 8 months, one as recently as 1.5 months ago. Not once did I pay the $250 for a recall clearance letter. Every time I had the US GM dealer do a Vehicle System Summary Inquiry and faxed it to the RIV and they accepted it.

I also got the Vehicle Systems Summary Inquiry from the US dealer that performed the recall, faxed it to RIV. They did not accept this, so I had to pay the 250. This was on April 30/08
Old 07-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

When I brought mine back 5 mos ago I did the recall clearance letter as they did actually ask for it. That being said I did it because I didn't want the hassle's for $250.00. What I have found however is that different areas have different rules and different borders even have different rules on when you came come across etc. Check everything out FIRST and then complete your paperwork. It will make your job so much easier when comming across the border and with RIV. It won't cost you anything however to try getting a dealer letter first and fax to RIV to see if they will accept it. Good Luck.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Cdn Z06 Mike
When I brought mine back 5 mos ago I did the recall clearance letter as they did actually ask for it. That being said I did it because I didn't want the hassle's for $250.00. What I have found however is that different areas have different rules and different borders even have different rules on when you came come across etc. Check everything out FIRST and then complete your paperwork. It will make your job so much easier when comming across the border and with RIV. It won't cost you anything however to try getting a dealer letter first and fax to RIV to see if they will accept it. Good Luck.
Just to clarify, as Mike said, different borders do have different rules, but don't get confused as this statement has nothing to do with the recall clearance letter, the borders have nothing to do with it. Two other people in the last month used my recommendation on how to proceed with the VIS Summary and they both were successful and saved $250. As Mike said, try it first, you have nothing to lose but could save $250.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:29 PM
TGstring
Drifting

Default Ok

So, sooks like GM US vs GM Canada letter is a crap shoot;

I'm being told a different story every time I call RIV re: when to have the letter; most have told me that I don't need the letter at the border for GM; the letter gets cleared up AFTER you've physically driven the car home...

which brings me to the next question for those in ONTARIO:

what exactly are you guys bringing to the ministry to get your temp- plate? Will they take the vin # itself? a photocopy of the title? original title with vin#? (and of course, a policy # for ins)

RIV will not provide a clear answer to this.

Ministry of Transportation Ontario is useless- I'm better off asking my grandmother.

at least the no Guzzler tax is a bonus

((Such a simple process gets shrouded in unnecessary complexities.
When I brought over my 30 year old 4-4-2 ten years ago, it was the absolute simplest thing ever- pay your tax and on your way. Noone cared, almost no paperwork...and it was a breeze...I know since it was over 15 years it's much easier, but still ))

THANK YOU GUYS FOR YOUR ADVICE-- KEEP IT COMING!
Old 07-07-2008, 11:39 PM
frankmp
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

THANK YOU GUYS FOR YOUR ADVICE-- KEEP IT COMING!
Ok, here's your reason you don't have excise:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/agency/budg...cise-e.html#q2

Question #7.......

Frank

ps- here's the current .pdf for 2008 models showing even the mighty 7 litre z06 does'nt have this tax (just like a Yaris....lol)

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/whatsnew/items/list_veh-e.pdf

Last edited by frankmp; 07-07-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:57 AM
techristian
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Two other people in the last month used my recommendation on how to proceed with the VIS Summary and they both were successful and saved $250..
And I'm one of them !!

As I already learned....FAX IT YOURSELF.

what exactly are you guys bringing to the ministry to get your temp- plate?
I only live a mile from my mechanic, a mile from the ministry and a mile from Canadian Tire. I went to the mechanic before the Michigan temp plate expired. I was told by cutoms that I could drive the car in Ontario as long as the import papers and FORM 1 were in the car. I didn't JOYRIDE without plates though. THE CAR MUST BE INSURED.

Dan

http://teachmedrums.com

Last edited by techristian; 07-08-2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:52 AM
TGstring
Drifting

Originally Posted by techristian
And I'm one of them !!

As I already learned....FAX IT YOURSELF.

I only live a mile from my mechanic, a mile from the ministry and a mile from Canadian Tire. I went to the mechanic before the Michigan temp plate expired. I was told by cutoms that I could drive the car in Ontario as long as the import papers and FORM 1 were in the car. I didn't JOYRIDE without plates though. THE CAR MUST BE INSURED.

Dan

http://teachmedrums.com
gotcha.

$10 gets me a temp plate from michigan for 2 weeks.

Everything is coming down to the recall letter.

I wish someone knew someone from an authorized US GM dealer who could do this for me
Old 07-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Fire 22
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

gotcha.

$10 gets me a temp plate from michigan for 2 weeks.

Everything is coming down to the recall letter.

I wish someone knew someone from an authorized US GM dealer who could do this for me
Make sure you have sufficient insurance coverage, I brought my C5 back from New Hampshire a month ago and had a wildlife collision, the passenger headlight was taken out. Lucky I bought comprehensive insurance that covered the damage which was just under $6000. In Manitoba we can purchase temporary insurance to bring a car from the states, it cost $87 for seven days.

The GM recall letter is the biggest rip off that I have encountered to date. The cost was $27 up until last November and they have no explanation or justification as to the cost increase.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire 22
...had a wildlife collision, the passenger headlight was taken out. Lucky I bought comprehensive insurance that covered the damage which was just under $6000.
That's one expensive headlight.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:27 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Same here. Vis report from a US dealer worked fine last December.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Fire 22
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeman28a
That's one expensive headlight.
No kidding, complete headlight assembly, new hood and new fender plus labour and GST and PST
Old 07-08-2008, 11:00 PM
TGstring
Drifting

Default ...

waiting on a recall letter...
should have an update as to what's been done or not.

as far as my internet skills can show, there were 2 recalls in '99- one involving seatbelts and one involving the infamous ECL

something tells me the ECL hasn't been done, b/c the mailouts went out in 2004, and that's when this owner bought the car....

I'll have an update Thursday morning.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:35 AM
TGstring
Drifting

Default update

to those bored enough to follow my little importation thread here, I called the seller up and he confirmed that he went to his local chevy dealer, who in turn confirmed in writing that the vin is clean of all recalls.

I went a step further, asked for the vin, called up GM and got a confirmation that the vin is clean.

At this time, it looks like it's a go.
All I need to do is go look at it, make sure everything is good, put a deposit down, and join the c5 club

What I intend to do is get the dealer's letter and send it off myself, even possibly deliver it in person since I don't live far from the RIV office in Toronto once I get the car here. If for whatever reason the border guys want to see it, I'll have it.

Is there anything I'll want to keep in mind while bringing over a 38,000 mile '99 coupe c5? I've been assured that the current owner (who is a senior) has only driven it for about 6k miles since he's had it for the past 4 years, and the previous owner to that was a porsche collector who was meticulous in his vehicle maintenance.

Leaky seals, wobbly cranks and error codes are what I'm focussing on...the rest seems to be pretty straightforward.

wish me luck...and THANK YOU to all you guys- you're great!
Old 07-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

to those bored enough to follow my little importation thread here, I called the seller up and he confirmed that he went to his local chevy dealer, who in turn confirmed in writing that the vin is clean of all recalls.

I went a step further, asked for the vin, called up GM and got a confirmation that the vin is clean.

At this time, it looks like it's a go.
All I need to do is go look at it, make sure everything is good, put a deposit down, and join the c5 club

What I intend to do is get the dealer's letter and send it off myself, even possibly deliver it in person since I don't live far from the RIV office in Toronto once I get the car here. If for whatever reason the border guys want to see it, I'll have it.

Is there anything I'll want to keep in mind while bringing over a 38,000 mile '99 coupe c5? I've been assured that the current owner (who is a senior) has only driven it for about 6k miles since he's had it for the past 4 years, and the previous owner to that was a porsche collector who was meticulous in his vehicle maintenance.

Leaky seals, wobbly cranks and error codes are what I'm focussing on...the rest seems to be pretty straightforward.

wish me luck...and THANK YOU to all you guys- you're great!
I can tell you for sure, a dealer written letter saying there is no recalls won't work. You can combine that letter with the GM Vehicle Inquiry System Summary and you will be good to go. I just got a PM from forum member wannabeliked who I have been helping and he just did his this week and again, the GM Vehicle Inquiry System Summary was accepted and he also, as per my suggestion, was able to get his registered even before he got his "form 2" from the RIV.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:15 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I can tell you for sure, a dealer written letter saying there is no recalls won't work. You can combine that letter with the GM Vehicle Inquiry System Summary and you will be good to go. I just got a PM from forum member wannabeliked who I have been helping and he just did his this week and again, the GM Vehicle Inquiry System Summary was accepted and he also, as per my suggestion, was able to get his registered even before he got his "form 2" from the RIV.
I agree, if it's going to work it has to be the VISS. Get the US dealer to stamp it with his dealer stamp, worked for me in Oct. when I brought my '07 in.

Paul

Get notified of new replies

To Q for any Canadians who've imported a GM in the last 8 months

Old 07-14-2008, 10:50 PM
TGstring
Drifting

Default final countdown

Ok,
so here's probably the last update before I go and see the car:

I have a copy of the GM VISS in my hands.

I'm having trouble reading it:

It says under the main box after the vehicle Information:

"REQUIRED FIELD ACTIONS"
Description --Posted Date--Status
Lap Belt Webring Twisted-- n/a-- Closed
Corvette Electronic Column Lock--n/a--Closed
Electronic Column lock system--n/a--Closed

Service Information Items
VEHICLE HAS NO CURRENT RECORD OF OUTSTANDING SERVICE INFORMATION

And then it goes into the "CLAIM HISTORY"
which shows a bunch of stuff that was done to the car

Question #1: is the statement I've highlighted in RED ITALICS mean what I hope it means?

Question #2: This isn't stamped or signed by the dealership that printed it out... is that a must? This is just a pure screen print.

Oh...and I got lucky...I got a copy of the window sticker :P
Old 07-14-2008, 11:12 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Ok,
so here's probably the last update before I go and see the car:

I have a copy of the GM VISS in my hands.

I'm having trouble reading it:

It says under the main box after the vehicle Information:

"REQUIRED FIELD ACTIONS"
Description --Posted Date--Status
Lap Belt Webring Twisted-- n/a-- Closed
Corvette Electronic Column Lock--n/a--Closed
Electronic Column lock system--n/a--Closed

Service Information Items
VEHICLE HAS NO CURRENT RECORD OF OUTSTANDING SERVICE INFORMATION

And then it goes into the "CLAIM HISTORY"
which shows a bunch of stuff that was done to the car

Question #1: is the statement I've highlighted in RED ITALICS mean what I hope it means?

Question #2: This isn't stamped or signed by the dealership that printed it out... is that a must? This is just a pure screen print.

Oh...and I got lucky...I got a copy of the window sticker :P
1. yes
2. Not one of my printouts had a dealer stamp
Old 07-15-2008, 12:50 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

2. Not one of my printouts had a dealer stamp
Interesting, the RIV had told me a few times that I had to have the dealer stamp it.

Paul

Quick Reply: Q for any Canadians who've imported a GM in the last 8 months