Canadian Events Canada, eh?

WTB: 6pd C5--

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 10:41 PM
TGstring
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Default WTB: 6pd C5--

MODS, LOCK IT UP, I FOUND MY CAR I've been in the market for a while now and I haven't found what I'm looking for. Primary reasons have been: unreliable/flaky sellers, junk cars, unrealistic asking prices...

Here are the MUST HAVE items:

MUST BE A C5, 6spd manual
as "stock" as possible- I DON'T want mods -- unless simple stuff like a zo6 exhaust or rims, etc.
mileage matters a bit, but would prefer LESS than 100000 kms
no accidents
no repaints
no custom interiors or customized work on it.
no REDS, no yellows
no winter driven cars
no multiple owner cars (I don't want a car that has changed hands 5 times)

Prefer a Canadian deal, but will consider all cars within the great lakes region if the deal is right.

Budget is ~$20k, for the car, all in, on the road.

Basically, I want a solid car, from a solid/reliable seller, who's looking to deal with a serious cash-in-hand buyer.

PM me with what you've got, and a tel # and I'll call you.

TIA,
Tom

Last edited by TGstring; 09-12-2008 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:36 PM
TGstring
Drifting

as a reminder to self...and to anyone scoping out the cars in the Auto Trader in Ontario,

If it's in there, I've called about it or seen it.

Just saw another $h!+box...'98 vert with ~80k on it.
Asking $23k, tons of scrapes, painted fender, non working oil psi, black brake fluid, no service records,...and the list goes on and on of stuff that he didn't notice before.

quite honestly, if anyone wants the rundown on autotrader cars, I can give you the lowdown on what's out there and what the ins and outs are relating to the condition of the car. It's getting harder and harder to find an honest, quality car at a reasonable price.

end of my personal rant
Old 08-25-2008, 02:48 PM
TGstring
Drifting

Default ...

loving these guys asking $27000 for a '98 with thousands of kms on them....claiming they've received offers for $26, but "didn't want to sell for that much"...

bump...I'm still looking.

6spd c5...honest buyer looking for an honest and reliable seller...
Old 08-25-2008, 07:42 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

What you're looking for just doesn't exist in Ontario for the price you want to pay. Well, there may be about 1 or 2 cars sold this year that would meet your requirements.

I bought my 98 for $19k 1.5 years ago - everything worked and it was maintained fairly decently. But it had 175,000km and the expected paint chips and wear to show. I bought it more or less at about what todays Ontario prices seem to be. It did come with CCW's and a Vararam which was a nice bonus to me.

Have you started to look in the US yet? There definitely still seems to be better deals in the US than here in Ontario.

Either that or keep waiting till later into the fall and hope something comes up. Watch it like a hawk. I tried to grab a 2002 Z06 for $30k but called within hours of the ad going up and still missed it.

Peter

ps. <- that's the pic that was in the ad

Last edited by lionelhutz; 08-25-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:27 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 661 Likes on 443 Posts

Low price equals a car with lots of mileage meaning it is a daily driver including rain and winter (there are lots of guys on the Canadian Forum who drive their cars in winter). This produces lots of marks and wear and tear.

Cars with less "wear and tear" are not driven in winter, are in better condition, and are a more "cherished" in the owners eyes who will not let them go for the kind of money you wish to pay.

A guy I met on the way to Carlisle this weekend found what you are looking fro (although it was MYellow) for $19,500 on eBay.

BUt with a 6 to 7% on the exchange and paying BOTH taxes, $1600 in shipping, it will be well over your price range...

I would wait till winter sets in and see if some one in the US gets desperate...
Old 08-26-2008, 10:03 AM
CanadianVetster
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 89 Posts

Based on above posts it would seem that the generl market for what you want is in the low to mid $20's.....

Good advice waiting until winter if you want to save the money....

The same way that you"love guys" that "turned down $26K".. those sellers "love guys" that offer under $20k.........
Old 09-13-2008, 12:01 AM
TGstring
Drifting

Default I found my car

for those curious,

I found my car.
had to drive 3 hrs to get it,
but I found it.
exactly 150,000 kms
new clutch
new brakes all around
zero mods
however has the following issues:
needs a driver's side rear wheel bearing
oil pressure sending unit
A/C needs a top up

hauls *** like no other
have cruised it as high as 35mpg avg.
3 owners
seller was one of the nicest guys I've dealt with

Now comes the fun part; finding the little odds and ends needed to kick it up a notch.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:39 AM
CanadianVetster
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 89 Posts

I'm sure it's worth the wait, and that it will give you as much pleasure as many of the guys find in their cars.........
150kms is a little above your original desired max, but if it "hauls like no other" then you s/b good..........
congrats and see you out there......
what colour is it, BTW.........
Old 09-13-2008, 11:13 AM
66 milano
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my 2000 coupe in June for $26,000. It only had 13,000 kms on it and was not overly optioned (both the clear roof and coloured roof and HUD, but not much else). There were two or three little pin hole chips on the hood. Otherwise, it looked brand new. I thought that I could get closer to $30,000 but was told by those in the know that the problem with it; was that it had an automatic. Needless to say, I think my buyer got a heck of a deal.

Clearly, as the prices of C6s continue to drop; your chances of landing a premo C5 should get better and better.

Nothing like a dose of reality for those of us who have sold a C5 over the last 12 months.

Get notified of new replies

To WTB: 6pd C5--

Quick Reply: WTB: 6pd C5--