Canadian Events Canada, eh?

ZO6 Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:26 AM
Bishs
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ZO6 Question

Question from a friend in England. Please reply to me.

Do you have any friends with Z06 who drive them hard? I have been getting a problem on mine or what I though was a problem where at about 5200 rpm it feels a bit like the limiter kicks in but if traction off it does not do it( about 125MPH) under hard throttle. People on the Z06 forum have said its torque management kicking in to protect wear and tear on the drive train, but Gary Garwood says his does not do it so I’m not sure who is right. The car has been on the computer whilst doing it and no fault codes come up.

Gary Bishop,
C6 `06 Velocity Yellow Coupe
NCRS 11994,
C5Reg #X1856
NCM Lifetime Member#2160 & Ambassador
Ontario, Canada
Old 05-27-2010, 08:38 AM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm just guessing, but it's probably something in the active handling / traction control system, trying to "save you" from yourself. I know that with the system "on", even if you throw the car into a corner while on the throttle, the computer cuts the power. With active handling / TCS turned off, it doesn't do that. Sounds similar, but again, I'm not 100% sure on it.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:22 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 227 Likes on 118 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
I'm just guessing, but it's probably something in the active handling / traction control system, trying to "save you" from yourself. I know that with the system "on", even if you throw the car into a corner while on the throttle, the computer cuts the power. With active handling / TCS turned off, it doesn't do that. Sounds similar, but again, I'm not 100% sure on it.
That's what it sounds like to me, but I am no expert by any means.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:06 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Something wrong here.... Is the tach reading correctly? At 125 mph you would be right at 7100 rpm which is the rev limiter in 3rd gear and could be bouncing off it or, you just shifted to 4th and would not be at 5200. Torque management does not cut fuel, or ignition to protect the drivetrain but the rev limiter and active handling does. T/M is more of a "soft response"and is not noticeable.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
Something wrong here.... Is the tach reading correctly? At 125 mph you would be right at 7100 rpm which is the rev limiter in 3rd gear and could be bouncing off it or, you just shifted to 4th and would not be at 5200. Torque management does not cut fuel, or ignition to protect the drivetrain but the rev limiter and active handling does. T/M is more of a "soft response"and is not noticeable.
any more details Gary? I doubt very much your buddy is slipping the tires at 125 mph (maybe he is?) so I can't think it would be either of the T/M or active handing...something doesn't sound right...
Old 05-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Bishs
Melting Slicks

Here is the latest......

Hi Gary many thanks- it only does it in 4th gear that I have noticed – I’m happy if the cars meant to do it but it does not do it with traction off at all.
I had doubts when Gary Garwood said his does not but I do literally put my foot to the floor on a 3+4th Gear and usually keep the traction on just in case it lets loose.
Having had the car two years I have only just noticed it doing it but it maybe as I get more used to the power.
The Garage could feel it as well but the computer was showing no faults that was linked into it-
if you see the Z06 forum under Tazman misfire you will see the various postings relating to it. Its difficult to know who is right and who is wrong and who to believe!!! I just like it do what its meant to be doing!!!! Thanks for your help
Old 05-27-2010, 03:12 PM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It is the active handling kicking in. Depending on the road he's on, at that speed, with his foot 'in it' the car may 'float' a little which causes the rear tires to sense they are losing grip. I've had it happen to me going up the back straight at Mosport when I've forgotten to put my car in comp mode or completely shut the active handling off.

Mike, if you bring your car out to Mosport on the 22nd, I can show you.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1BDRSK
It is the active handling kicking in. Depending on the road he's on, at that speed, with his foot 'in it' the car may 'float' a little which causes the rear tires to sense they are losing grip. I've had it happen to me going up the back straight at Mosport when I've forgotten to put my car in comp mode or completely shut the active handling off.

^ ^ That's pretty much what I was thinking, based on how "sensitive" the car acts with A.H. mode on.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Overdrive
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't that require a long boat ride?

Edit: NVM, you were referring to his own car rather than the one with the issue.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If you can convince my boss to give me the time off I'll be there
Old 05-27-2010, 08:53 PM
Corvette.Lover
Pro

Originally Posted by Cdn Z06 Mike
If you can convince my boss to give me the time off I'll be there
You guys don't really work do you? Come on now!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:19 PM
MOSPORT1
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts

once in awhile I get the engine drag active DIC thing,,,,
usually on the back straight cresting the hill doing 240k
Old 05-27-2010, 11:56 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by MOSPORT1
The only reason you will get the drag active message is that the rear wheels are turning at a "less speed" than the fronts. You have speed sensors on all 4 wheels. With a high compression engine and a standard trans (lockup) it is very easy to downshift on snow or ice and have the rear "lock up". You will get the message. It is normal but you will also get it if you install a slightly larger tire in the rear without compensating for it in the front and lift when raining, or under high speed. Not much to worry about. It is just an advisory and doesn't set a code.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:38 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MOSPORT1
Slow-poke!
Old 05-29-2010, 09:48 PM
use2bl8
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts