Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Looking for a restoration job in Calgary...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 11:50 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Looking for a restoration job in Calgary...

Well, I've finally decided that I want to restore classic cars for a living. I've been restoring a vette for the past 3.5 years now, and have learned a lot. I feel like now I have something I can show to a shop on my resume, as opposed to the position I was in about a year ago. I have been writing a resume for the past 3 weeks, and just completed it.

I do not have my journeyman ticket, which you need to have to work on cars in Alberta, but that is besides the fact. I want to go into the apprenticeship program at SAIT, but I first need an employer who will hire me. Being an apprentice will allow me to work on cars while I train at SAIT. You either have to be a journeyman, or an apprentice, to be able to physically work on cars in Alberta. I need to start with the latter.

So now I am job hunting here in Calgary. I dropped my resume off at a few shops, and am waiting to hear back from them.

In the mean time, I would like to continue my search. Does anyone here on the forum have any connections? Here is my thread showing what I am capable of.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...storation.html

If you know of anyone in the industry who is hiring, please post here. I want to get my journeyman auto body ticket first. That is my goal right now. It would be a great help to me, as I want to finally get my career started. I need to find a job before I can go into the apprenticeship program. All help is appreciated. Thank you.

Jeremy Smith

Last edited by stinger12; 06-04-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Spinner_89
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM Sent
Old 06-06-2010, 03:42 PM
10caipirinhas
Pro

Good luck.........I live here and work in the car bizz can can tell you first hand that many shops have their staff on workshare programs (reduced hours) and are not hiring apprentices. Keep trying and you will get lucky eventually.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:35 AM
Bob Holinski
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

It's nice to see a young man who has a passion for working on cars. My son loves working on his but finds it less fun when he's working on things for others but he does work for free for his friends.

Good luck with your career.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Overdrive
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bob Holinski
It's nice to see a young man who has a passion for working on cars. My son loves working on his but finds it less fun when he's working on things for others but he does work for free for his friends.

Good luck with your career.

My son also enjoys working on cars although not ones that are DD's and rusted solid.

Right now he's doing a 3.8SC swap into a Reatta for a friend but the past has been 5.3's and 6.0's into 3rdGen Fbodies and LT1 cars.

Hopefully you'll find what you're looking for as far as a career/job. Sounds like you'll need to do some serious networking and pavement pounding to find what you're looking for. I know it's tight for apprenticeships here too.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:51 PM
SeanMounce
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck dude!
Old 06-11-2010, 02:11 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Ttt
Old 08-03-2019, 11:25 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 226 Likes on 166 Posts

You responded to a 9 year old thread with your full name and phone number

miiiight want to rethink that............,

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for a restoration job in Calgary...

Quick Reply: Looking for a restoration job in Calgary...