anyone have a list of ""free"" GTA wirless hot spots

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 02:35 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 56 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Default anyone have a list of ""free"" GTA wirless hot spots

There are only a few and far between places I know of. Tavelling throughout the GTA daily, I'd take my laptop more often if I had a bunch of places I knew about where I could get on line.

Lunch places would be great as well.

Right now I'm in Mississauga, Stage West around Dixie/401, and can get on line here from the parking lot.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Jon04CTSV
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mike, sorry if this isn't exactly what you were looking for... But I remember at Mosport 2 years ago you showed me your iPhone and then after that I couldn't resist and had to get one. Do you still have it?

I just use the Internet Tethering feature for my laptop. Just hook it up via the USB cable to the laptop. As long as iTunes is installed on the laptop, you can use your iPhone's data function as the connection for your laptop to the web. I do that all the time. You just have to install iTunes on the laptop and turn on the internet tethering feature on your iPhone. Now you have internet on the laptop anywhere, as long as your cell has reception.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Good bookmark to have.

http://freewifiintoronto.blogspot.com/
Old 06-16-2010, 04:27 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I have found wireless for free when travelling very easy.Most Mcdonalds have it,malls,and even the odd neighbour,.It seems like Toronto may be stingy with free wireless,but chapters/starbucks are plentifull and they offer it,you may have to buy a cup of coffee,,,
Old 06-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Originally Posted by NOCRISIS
I have found wireless for free when travelling very easy.Most Mcdonalds have it,malls,and even the odd neighbour,.It seems like Toronto may be stingy with free wireless,but chapters/starbucks are plentifull and they offer it,you may have to buy a cup of coffee,,,
Not true Rick. Lots of places in Toronto offer free wifi. Click on the link I posted.

BTW, that map isn't static. Click on the map and move it. It works like google maps. There are a lot of spots.

Click on each black icon to see info on that wifi spot. And for any overlapping, look at the info, it will give you the option to click for the NEXT hotspot.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:33 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Zeeman28a
Thanks Stan, saw that one already, was more interested in the GTA though, as that's my territory.

Originally Posted by Jon04CTSV
Hey Mike, sorry if this isn't exactly what you were looking for... But I remember at Mosport 2 years ago you showed me your iPhone and then after that I couldn't resist and had to get one. Do you still have it?

I just use the Internet Tethering feature for my laptop. Just hook it up via the USB cable to the laptop. As long as iTunes is installed on the laptop, you can use your iPhone's data function as the connection for your laptop to the web. I do that all the time. You just have to install iTunes on the laptop and turn on the internet tethering feature on your iPhone. Now you have internet on the laptop anywhere, as long as your cell has reception.
Ha, you kiddin me Jon, of course I still have my iPhone. Could'nt wrestle that thing out of my hands

The free wireless access would be for my lowly work laptop, a Dell. Often times between calls or over lunch I would like to be able to log on to my web based mail to review attachments, make ammendments to them and send them out. The Blackberry I find sucks for viewing excel doc's, and you can't edit them either.

Could I tether my iPhone to the Dell?
Old 06-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Jon04CTSV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RAGGDOLL
The free wireless access would be for my lowly work laptop, a Dell. Often times between calls or over lunch I would like to be able to log on to my web based mail to review attachments, make ammendments to them and send them out. The Blackberry I find sucks for viewing excel doc's, and you can't edit them either.

Could I tether my iPhone to the Dell?
You can tether to any computer as long as it has a USB port and iTunes installed. I'm with Fido and have the 6GB/month bandwidth option, which gives free tethering. Just confirm it's ok with your service provider first.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:53 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Zeeman28a
Not true Rick. Lots of places in Toronto offer free wifi. Click on the link I posted.

BTW, that map isn't static. Click on the map and move it. It works like google maps. There are a lot of spots.

Click on each black icon to see info on that wifi spot. And for any overlapping, look at the info, it will give you the option to click for the NEXT hotspot.
sorry Stan,Toronto is a general term I use for the GTA fact is I consider you in Toronto/GTA,not many people I know want internet in downtown Toronto,and that site you sent leaves out the whole GTA,,,,,sorry to have steered you wrong,,,
Old 06-16-2010, 06:07 PM
FFIN90
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================ From Toronto ================ 9/11/01 FDNY 343 R.I.P.
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'13-'14

You can tether to any computer as long as it has a USB port and iTunes installed. I'm with Fido and have the 6GB/month bandwidth option, which gives free tethering. Just confirm it's ok with your service provider first.
I'm with Rogers and you must be on a minimum 1GB/month plan to tether, and Mike I also have a Dell laptop and it works great.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:15 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FFIN90
I'm with Rogers and you must be on a minimum 1GB/month plan to tether, and Mike I also have a Dell laptop and it works great.
So, I download iTunes to my Dell, hook my iPhone to it, then what, it just connects? It's never that easy when a PC is involved...any other steps you guys are leaving out
Old 06-16-2010, 06:30 PM
Jon04CTSV
Burning Brakes

So, I download iTunes to my Dell, hook my iPhone to it, then what, it just connects? It's never that easy when a PC is involved...any other steps you guys are leaving out
After iTunes is installed, connect your iPhone to your laptop. On your iPhone, go to Settings --> General --> Network --> and set Internet Tethering to ON.

Your computer should install a network adapter driver. After that, just launch your browser and you should be up and running.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:33 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

After iTunes is installed, connect your iPhone to your laptop. On your iPhone, go to Settings --> General --> Network --> and set Internet Tethering to ON.

Your computer should install a network adapter driver. After that, just launch your browser and you should be up and running.
Will I do that each time, or is this a one time setting on my iPhone?
Old 06-16-2010, 06:45 PM
Jon04CTSV
Burning Brakes

Will I do that each time, or is this a one time setting on my iPhone?
You can just leave the INternet Tethering set to On and everytime you hook it up it will tether. That's what I do. It usually takes about 20-30 secs from when you plug it in to when the internet works on the computer.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:01 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

You can just leave the INternet Tethering set to On and everytime you hook it up it will tether. That's what I do. It usually takes about 20-30 secs from when you plug it in to when the internet works on the computer.
Sorry for all the questions Jon, so I'm D/L'n iTunes, have tethering on, does iTunes have to be open and running on the Dell?

Keep in mind your dealing with a Mac guy, so all details using this on a PC are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Jon04CTSV
Burning Brakes

Sorry for all the questions Jon, so I'm D/L'n iTunes, have tethering on, does iTunes have to be open and running on the Dell?

Keep in mind your dealing with a Mac guy, so all details using this on a PC are greatly appreciated.
No problem. Itunes does not have to be running. As long as it's installed.

I would recommend:

1. Install iTunes
2. Reboot
3. Plug iPhone in and turn on Internet Tethering
4. Windows should ask you to install a driver. Just let it do that by following the steps.

After that you should have internet on the laptop.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:27 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

No problem. Itunes does not have to be running. As long as it's installed.

I would recommend:

1. Install iTunes
2. Reboot
3. Plug iPhone in and turn on Internet Tethering
4. Windows should ask you to install a driver. Just let it do that by following the steps.

After that you should have internet on the laptop.
Thanks Jon, did that, but my Dell defaulted to my home wireless connection. I'll do it tommorow on the road and report back.

Thanks again for your help and answering all my questions.

BTW, will be upgrading to the new 4G iPhone later this month
Old 06-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Jon04CTSV
Burning Brakes

Thanks Jon, did that, but my Dell defaulted to my home wireless connection. I'll do it tommorow on the road and report back.

Thanks again for your help and answering all my questions.

BTW, will be upgrading to the new 4G iPhone later this month
No problem. Let me know how the 4G works for ya. My 3G is falling apart... Literally. My silent switch broke off, my volume switch broke off...

Get notified of new replies

To anyone have a list of ""free"" GTA wirless hot spots

Old 06-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Ok. The GTA. Sorry Mike. Check out these sites.

http://wi-fi.jiwire.com/browse-hotsp...ario-on-61.htm

http://www.wi-fihotspotlist.com/browse/ca/2000256/

And here's a forum.
http://freebiesdealsandrewards.com/f...thread.php?t=1
Old 06-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Originally Posted by NOCRISIS
sorry Stan,Toronto is a general term I use for the GTA fact is I consider you in Toronto/GTA,not many people I know want internet in downtown Toronto,and that site you sent leaves out the whole GTA,,,,,sorry to have steered you wrong,,,
No worries Rick.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:47 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

No problem. Let me know how the 4G works for ya. My 3G is falling apart... Literally. My silent switch broke off, my volume switch broke off...
I have a "spare" 3G, water damaged, you can have it for parts if you can use it

Thanks Stan, that looks great. Pending my tethering experiment tommorow, I may not need them, but thanks again anyways

Quick Reply: anyone have a list of ""free"" GTA wirless hot spots