Canadian Events Canada, eh?

I almost hate my car

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 01:32 PM
kidneyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default I almost hate my car

So I'm getting ready for tomorrow's cruise and head out to clean the car and get her all ready and put away in the garage for tomorrow. Have to go downtown to pick up Vettegirl and cruising up University I go to turn on to College and the car goes straight. The wheel just spins on the column. Then the gdam horn starts and won't stop. There must be 500 cops in riot gear and such all looking and pointing and laughing and I'm getting more and more pissed. I try to tighten things as best as I can and I can push the wheel into place but it won't lock, so pushing on the steering wheel I drive from University and College to my mechanics at Dufferin and Glencairn, I needed blood pressure meds by the time I got there., Oh yeah the effn horn is honking almost all the way just in case I wasn't feeling bad enough already. Not the way I like to be noticed.
Ok my guy pulls the wheel and the telescopic bolt (?) locking mechanism is sheared right off and the rubber thing in place to assist in placement is not enough. The clips can't hold it. So once again the car is sitting at the shop, gathering dust but not going to be on the road now I guess until Monday at the earliest.
Ok so I miss the Keswick cruise the one I have been looking forward to since last years run ended, C.T. tonight at Queensway is out of the question. I have had this car 6 years and it spends more time on hoists, in garages in pieces, or on the back of a flat-bed than it does on the road. Right now I hate that car. I hope that goes away but I have had enough. For now anyway.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:57 PM
gdm78vette
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Well that sucks! Too bad Mike. It's not the same I know but if you want to ride with me tomorrow you're more than welcome.

Gerry
Old 06-19-2010, 02:01 PM
kidneyboy
Melting Slicks

Thanks Gerry, I think I'll pass on the passenger idea though. Heading out to the "Shwa now to visit and old sick buddy, who knows maybe the mechanic can get lucky and get her done today.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:21 PM
OBSESHON Mark
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry to hear about this problem Mike.
Thank god you didn't hit anything.
Good luck of a quick fix.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:26 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds to me like the "terrorists" got a hold of your car ... and were trying to make it a weapon of small-mass destruction ... good thing the cops didn't react with a spray of bullets!

On a serious note, sorry to hear about your car ... hopefully your mech. can get it working for you!

Mark
Old 06-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Cdn UFO
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by kidneyboy
So I'm getting ready for tomorrow's cruise and head out to clean the car and get her all ready and put away in the garage for tomorrow. Have to go downtown to pick up Vettegirl and cruising up University I go to turn on to College and the car goes straight. The wheel just spins on the column. Then the gdam horn starts and won't stop. There must be 500 cops in riot gear and such all looking and pointing and laughing and I'm getting more and more pissed. I try to tighten things as best as I can and I can push the wheel into place but it won't lock, so pushing on the steering wheel I drive from University and College to my mechanics at Dufferin and Glencairn, I needed blood pressure meds by the time I got there., Oh yeah the effn horn is honking almost all the way just in case I wasn't feeling bad enough already. Not the way I like to be noticed.
Ok my guy pulls the wheel and the telescopic bolt (?) locking mechanism is sheared right off and the rubber thing in place to assist in placement is not enough. The clips can't hold it. So once again the car is sitting at the shop, gathering dust but not going to be on the road now I guess until Monday at the earliest.
Ok so I miss the Keswick cruise the one I have been looking forward to since last years run ended, C.T. tonight at Queensway is out of the question. I have had this car 6 years and it spends more time on hoists, in garages in pieces, or on the back of a flat-bed than it does on the road. Right now I hate that car. I hope that goes away but I have had enough. For now anyway.

You know I feel your pain. Buy a c4 or c5 you will be so much happier. I love the c3 bodies but am tired of crawling under and over it.You will get your money back in gas savings and blood presure meds

Last edited by Cdn UFO; 06-19-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:11 PM
doublec4
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 24 Posts

How much do you actually hate it? I accept Corvette donations of any year and model
Old 06-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Sorry to hear Mike.

But once you get back behind the wheel, these feelings will pass.

Speedy recovery.

Stan.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:23 PM
gdm78vette
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by kidneyboy
So I did some investigation into your problem because something in your description of what happened didn't make sense to me and still doesn't.

If I loosen off the telescopic lever so the steering wheel if free to slide in and out the steering wheel is still engaged on the steering shaft and the front wheels will still turn.

The locking mechanism for the telescopic is only there to stop the telescopic action and is not part of the steering wheels engagement with the steering shaft. The steering wheel/hub assembly slides along the spline at the end of the steering shaft for the length of telescopic action! There is no rubber thing in there to assist in alignment either.

Did your steering wheel come right off or was it still attached but just sliding in and out? If it didn't come off (which would mean that the nut holding the wheel, extension, hub assembly has come off or the end of the steering shaft is broken) then I think there is something wrong/missing with the way your steering wheel has been assembled.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Overdrive
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cdn UFO
You know I feel your pain. Buy a c4 or c5 you will be so much happier. I love the c3 bodies but am tired of crawling under and over it.You will get your money back in gas savings and blood presure meds
Exactly the reason I have a C5 when my wife really wanted a C3.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:30 PM
kidneyboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gdm78vette
So I did some investigation into your problem because something in your description of what happened didn't make sense to me and still doesn't.

If I loosen off the telescopic lever so the steering wheel if free to slide in and out the steering wheel is still engaged on the steering shaft and the front wheels will still turn.

The locking mechanism for the telescopic is only there to stop the telescopic action and is not part of the steering wheels engagement with the steering shaft. The steering wheel/hub assembly slides along the spline at the end of the steering shaft for the length of telescopic action! There is no rubber thing in there to assist in alignment either.

Did your steering wheel come right off or was it still attached but just sliding in and out? If it didn't come off (which would mean that the nut holding the wheel, extension, hub assembly has come off or the end of the steering shaft is broken) then I think there is something wrong/missing with the way your steering wheel has been assembled.
Keeping mind my steering wheel is an aftermarker Grant GT. I had the telescopic fully egaged in and locked and then the new wheel went on and viola no more telescopic. So what appears to have happenned is the locking mechanism which is a clip ring (? not sure if used the right term) held in place with a little tiny nut and bolt, I think, anyway the ring is there but no little tiny nut and bolt, therefore the wheeel was basically telescoping and in so doing shorting out the horn. so as of now 6:30 ish Sat. evening the steering column is nicely stacked on the mechanics table the new clip ring on it's way and maybe Monday after work I'll be on the road.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Corvette.Lover
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, everything will be good again...

Old 06-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Jutskin
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A relationship, like the one with a vette can be a luv/hate affair. Hated mine a few times this spring.
Sounds like she should be good as new real soon .... unlike mine which I may torch tonight.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Spocc
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Mike

come & borrow my Batmobile.

i'm working 3 - 12 hour shifts this week-end

i'm off at 6:30am & live just south of Eglinton/Don Mills

Pete
Old 06-19-2010, 07:51 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 56 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Hey Mike, I feel your pain, those C3's are a real labour of love eh?

Take Pete up on his offer, part way thru the cruise if it's OK with Pete, we'll switch, you drive mine, I'll drive Pete's. I need some C3 lovin You'll get some C6 lovin in return
Old 06-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Spocc
Drifting

ok with me !
Old 06-19-2010, 08:03 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 56 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Spocc
ok with me !
Ur a good man Pete, only true cars guys would do this

Get notified of new replies

To I almost hate my car

Old 06-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Corvette.Lover
Pro

Nice gesture from both Pete AND Mike.

nice.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Spocc
Drifting

my 80 ain't nothing fancy, just an L48 auto with cool tunes on board, but it is a C3 with all the right curves ...lol

too bad someone can't get in touch with Mike as i fear he is not going back to the forum for awhile

my email is :
spocc@rogers.com

Pete
Old 06-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Corvette.Lover
Pro

I'd be willing to trade rides with Pete, but not Mike. He might break something

Quick Reply: I almost hate my car