Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Importing and Warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 11:18 PM
SLK1Z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Importing and Warranty question

I am looking to get some info regarding the warranty once a Vette has been imported. Now I know that GM will honor the warranty once the car has reached 6mnths and over 12,000 kms.
Now my questions:
What happens before that time if something big happens? Will they honor the warranty in the states? or SOL?
Secondly, if a car is a US car can GMPP be purchased for it? As well can it be purchased in the US?
Any help that people can offer would be great.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

Your car will have warranty in the states so if something big happens you just have to get the car somehow over the border to a GM dealer and they should look after it.

Now after your 6 months and 12000kms are racked up in your car you should be able to buy GMPP warranty for it as your canadian warranty will take effect. Keep in mind the costs to get it will probably be quite expensive as compared to if you had bought the car new in Canada at a dealer and buy the warranty at that time.

Your car will still have warranty in the states no matter what during the warranty period of your vehicle.

Tony
Old 06-21-2010, 01:25 PM
vettespur
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend buying all your GM warranty in the states prior to coming to Canada, it is far more reasonable over the river.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:35 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 334 Likes on 208 Posts

bought mine in the U.S 6 yrs ago, had the remainder of the factory warranty which was honoured here no problem, as it was a used car, prior to it's expiration, I bought the GMPP - then the tranny went 1 week after it expired! But, they fixed it anyway.
Dealer I bought it from told me he couldn't sell me the GMPP there though..
Old 06-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dankhts
bought mine in the U.S 6 yrs ago, had the remainder of the factory warranty which was honoured here no problem, as it was a used car, prior to it's expiration, I bought the GMPP - then the tranny went 1 week after it expired! But, they fixed it anyway.
Dealer I bought it from told me he couldn't sell me the GMPP there though..
Thats what I always understood it to be. GMPP out of the U.S. is not valid in Canada since it is a seperate and legal binding agreemenet between buyer and GM USA and moving into a different country does not recognize the warranty. This is the case in my past with Nissan and currently the case with BMW as well. The only thing you could do is purchase a 3rd party warranty like coverage 1 or something. Not ideal as it is exceptionally expensive and the coverage is actually quite poor.

Last edited by Cdn Z06 Mike; 06-21-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Not sure if you can buy GMPP in the states, but I do know for a fact it is not transferable if the US car that you are purchasing has it and you want to transfer it no to cover your car in Canada.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:48 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 334 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer44
Not sure if you can buy GMPP in the states, but I do know for a fact it is not transferable if the US car that you are purchasing has it and you want to transfer it no to cover your car in Canada.
I bought my GMPP here just before the standard warranty expired

Get notified of new replies

To Importing and Warranty question

Quick Reply: Importing and Warranty question